One of the only aces left up BlackBerry's sleeve was to claim it's was FIPS 140-2 certified. Now that iOS 6 has been FIPS 140-2 certified, Blackberry needs to come up with something else for enterprise to stick with their devices. This is not good news at all for Blackberry.

According to the NIST�s website, iOS 6 was cleared in single-user mode running on an iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPad. It is not currently known whether the iPhone 5 or iPad mini can boast of the same certification.

http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp...0InProcess.pdf

Validated 140-1 and 140-2 Cryptographic Modules
    05-08-13 07:07 AM
    One of the only aces left up BlackBerry's sleeve was to claim it's was FIPS 140-2 certified. Now that iOS 6 has been FIPS 140-2 certified, Blackberry needs to come up with something else for enterprise to stick with their devices. This is not good news at all for Blackberry.

According to the NIST�s website, iOS 6 was cleared in single-user mode running on an iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPad. It is not currently known whether the iPhone 5 or iPad mini can boast of the same certification.

Yeah, they already did came out with something else much better, it's called BlackBerry Balance.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 07:13 AM
    Sorry a "feature" on a phone has nothing to do with a security certification.

And a form (sort of, kind of) of "BlackBerry Balance" is available on the iPhone...

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/bes10-client/id505157728?mt=8
    05-08-13 07:29 AM
    What's next? Rake in 100 bucks per IPhone managed by BES.

Posted via CB10
    a1s2d3f4g5 likes this.
    05-08-13 07:37 AM

And a form (sort of, kind of) of "BlackBerry Balance" is available on the iPhone...

It is only iOS 6.0. Nothing mentioned of the subsequent updated versions. Also, this is for low level security. BlackBerry still has the lock on higher security requirements.

Posted via CB10
    hpjrt and Jonesy1966 like this.
    05-08-13 07:39 AM
    What's next? Rake in 100 bucks per IPhone managed by BES.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly... who cares if iPhone is FIPS certified. This is actually GOOD for Blackberry because it means there will be more cross platform MDM opportunities in Government (BES 10), thus more service revenues.
    05-08-13 07:42 AM
    It is only iOS 6.0. Nothing mentioned of the subsequent updated versions. Also, this is for low level security. BlackBerry still has the lock on higher security requirements.

Posted via CB10
    This is a point I've tried to make in the past so needless to say I totally agree with you.

BlackBerry still has a lock on secure environments, nothing else has been certified for secure, top secure, or higher certification.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    05-08-13 07:44 AM

We can always argue that making a phone that will get that certification is also a feature. So yeah, a feature does matter!

And features is what makes competitive advantage, remember that BlackBerry Balance does have a competitive advantage vs iphone.

And did you noticed that the app you just linked to is a BlackBerry App? The more iphones uses that app, the more it adds to BlackBerry's bottom line!

Posted via CB10
    fedakd and theRock1975 like this.
    05-08-13 07:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    Can you send me the link to the supposed "higher security requirements." I was under the impression Blackberry BB10 had the same FIPS 140-2 certification.
    05-08-13 07:58 AM
    Can you send me the link to the supposed "higher security requirements." I was under the impression Blackberry BB10 had the same FIPS 140-2 certification.
    I will search for a link. And yes, BlackBerry does have the FIPS cert. But you need to understand that this is only ground level certification. All it does is let you into the lobby.

Here's a little info on the levels of certification.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIPS_140-2

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 08:03 AM
    It took how long for Apple to get this on an old os and BlackBerry got it before they even had their os complete

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 08:15 AM
    On paper, it hurts BBRY. My understanding is that BBRY has been smart in anticipating this, and is looking at managing these devices now.

So, in my layman's view, BBRY would prefer to have a monopoly (who wouldn't?) on the hardware. The potential management revenue would be a fine consolation prize, though.

Is it good? No, not at all, but it could be a whole lot worse. The enterprise sector is changing, and BBRY may be adjusting by shifting to secure software management. Time will tell.
    Harrison Hoolahan likes this.
    05-08-13 08:15 AM
    It took how long for Apple to get this on an old os and BlackBerry got it before they even had their os complete

Posted via CB10
    Apple has not needed it. BBRY did. Different focuses.
    05-08-13 08:17 AM
    According to Blackberry, BB10 is FIPS 140-2 certified. So both iOS and BB10 are now in the same "lobby."

BlackBerry 10 Receives FIPS Security Certification Ahead of Launch -
    05-08-13 08:18 AM
    I will search for a link. And yes, BlackBerry does have the FIPS cert. But you need to understand that this is only ground level certification. All it does is let you into the lobby.

FIPS 140-2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Posted via CB10
    From what I understand, you are correct. Different personnel will have different rated devices depending on security level.
    05-08-13 08:19 AM
    According to Blackberry, BB10 is FIPS 140-2 certified. So both iOS and BB10 are now in the same "lobby."

BlackBerry 10 Receives FIPS Security Certification Ahead of Launch -
    There are four different levels, IIRC.
    05-08-13 08:20 AM

Umm the feature is not just on the phone but it is what works on the phone when running blackberry enterprise server 10 with mobile fusion. That is what Makes balance works, and also what makes apple safe to run as mobile fusion has the ability to secure the unsecure apple and android phones. I would HIGHLY recommend you do some homework and research before you post next time as you have NO idea what your talking about.

Posted via CB10
    gobimmer likes this.
    05-08-13 08:30 AM
    Umm the feature is not just on the phone but it is what works on the phone when running blackberry enterprise server 10 with mobile fusion. That is what Makes balance works, and also what makes apple safe to run as mobile fusion has the ability to secure the unsecure apple and android phones. I would HIGHLY recommend you do some homework and research before you post next time as you have NO idea what your talking about.
    The BB10 OS is certified as FIPS 140-2. Balance has nothing to do with it, nor does connecting it to BES10
    05-08-13 08:51 AM
    Check this out and it may help to understand all of this......Apple And Samsung Just Don't Have A Chance Against BlackBerry - Seeking Alpha

According to the NIST’s website, iOS 6 was cleared in single-user mode running on an iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPad. It is not currently known whether the iPhone 5 or iPad mini can boast of the same certification.

Jake Storm and Narbs like this.
    05-08-13 09:15 AM
    Check this out and it may help to understand all of this......Apple And Samsung Just Don't Have A Chance Against BlackBerry - Seeking Alpha
    No disrespect, but Seeking Alpha? No.
    JeepBB, mikeo007 and richardat like this.
    05-08-13 09:30 AM
    These threads usually end up well. Fact of the matter is that right now, and in the foreseeable future, BlackBerry of any kind > iphone or android or windows phone in security. Sorry, but there's no argument here. What happens when ios7 comes out? Won't be fips. Let's not talk about the ios lock screen bug.. which sure, has been fixed, but ios 6.0 is the only certified version. Basically you have to use outdated I phones for fips, and let's face it, the current iphone is already outdated.

It's not all about fips. BlackBerry offers solutions way beyond fips that extend security. Ios and Apple.. face it: they focus on Consumers. Enterprise is an after though. BlackBerry focuses heavily on both and there us no comparison security wise. Not yet anyway.
    Jake Storm and fedakd like this.
    05-08-13 10:10 AM
    These threads usually end up well. Fact of the matter is that right now, and in the foreseeable future, BlackBerry of any kind > iphone or android or windows phone in security. Sorry, but there's no argument here. What happens when ios7 comes out? Won't be fips. Let's not talk about the ios lock screen bug.. which sure, has been fixed, but ios 6.0 is the only certified version. Basically you have to use outdated I phones for fips, and let's face it, the current iphone is already outdated.

It's not all about fips. BlackBerry offers solutions way beyond fips that extend security. Ios and Apple.. face it: they focus on Consumers. Enterprise is an after though. BlackBerry focuses heavily on both and there us no comparison security wise. Not yet anyway.

BB10 became FIPS 140-2 certified before release. It is possible for iOS7 to do that as well.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    05-08-13 10:13 AM

FIPS 140-2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Posted via CB10
    THANK YOU.

FIPS 140-2 is the *highest* level for the LOWEST level of security requirement. It doesn't GAIN you anything, it merely ALLOWS you to be considered.

Agencies, depending on security levels requirements, add their own requirements. Which is the reason, for example, that DoD approves devices long after they have received FIPS cert.
    Knightcrawler and TommyBB like this.
    05-08-13 10:29 AM
    jesusmaryandjoseph......***goes for popcorn***
    05-08-13 10:30 AM
    BB10 became FIPS 140-2 certified before release. It is possible for iOS7 to do that as well.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    I'd rather go by what Apple has done in the past rather than BlackBerry. For this reason, it's probably ios7 won't be any time soon after its release.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by agp101; 05-08-13 at 12:09 PM.
    05-08-13 10:48 AM
39 12