I've been in the transition period the last week or so for the fact that I sold my iPhone 3G and have jumped ship to the Blackberry Bold cold turkey.

I'm a Mac user, that will NEVER change. I would rather, and I am serious when I say, I would rather lose a leg than to switch back to windows. BUT, I wasn't as happy with the iPhone as I could have been, mainly for the fact that the touchscreen was too "touchy" for me causing me to accidentally hang up on people, send text and emails accidentally or early, etc etc.

But my reason for my writing this/gripe is the fact that it is absolutely blowing me away how much more expensive it is going to be to get the seam features, or at least similar features on my Bold as I had on my iPhone.

One case is the fact that, and I will preface, my iPhone was jailbroken so I could run third party software, tethering on the Bold to my Mac seems pretty much a moot point. Besides the incredible hassle it seems to be to set the whole thing up, I'd have to pay 15$ more a month on TOP of the 75$ I'll be paying for minutes and BIS? I think I should just remove the "I" out of that acronym, and leave it BS.

I use VERY little data a month, likely 50Mb's or so for email and tethering for when I am in a spot and need to look something up or research a paper I am writing on my laptop. But it blows me away that I'd have to pay an extra 12x$15 a year for the luxury to do a little surfing. That's .30 cents a Mb... Sigh...

The software was free and easily available on the iPhone, and even pay for apps were WAY cheaper for the iPhone....

I guess I'm just ranting because although I've made the switch, will stay with the switch, and live with it, I think I am disappointed in the lack of offering by the RIM community or the company themselves. iPhone hackers/developers flocked to the device, and I do realize that the potential for the iPhone was greater than the RIM devices of old, and even compared to the new devices (8900,9000, and Storm), it's just a hard cookie to swallow.

I guess I was spoiled with the iPhone in a lot of ways, and I hope in the coming weeks/months I find that golden egg in the RIM platform that gives me goosebumps. I hope developers start working harder to provide features and applications on the blackberry that the iPhone or other platforms have.

I think it will be hard for RIM to really break into the market with the iPhone and G1 the way those platforms are with their "open" nature. Although people will argue Apple has the iPhone locked down, take a look at the Cydia/App Installer software available after a 3 minute jailbreak....

/RantOver...
    Last edited by desantim; 12-08-08 at 04:20 PM.
    12-08-08 04:18 PM
    WOW. But I hope you enjoy the bold anyway.
    12-08-08 04:21 PM
    I think I'm just a little jaded at the moment. It's like going from a ... Souped up Luxury car to a Sport Utility Vehicle... The RIM device is more useful overall, but the iPhone definitely had all the luxury. Also over the lifetime of the thing, I know the Bold will cost me quite a bit more in ownership costs...

I don't even play games on the thing, nor did I ever on the iPhone, so the gimmicky thing wasn't a factor. I think the extra costs just have me a little... Unhappy?
    12-08-08 04:58 PM
    Did you research before switching to The Bold? I guess I'm wondering why the discoveries made after the Bold switch weren't made before. The Bold is what it is.

The Bold and the iPhone are not the same kind of phones. I really don't know why people compare them, because you really can't, imo. Bold users often have very different needs/wants, than iPhone users. I don't like the iPhone — but I played with it for months, to reach that conclusion.

I'm sorry you got so deep, only to find out that you probably shoulda kept your iPhone.
    12-08-08 07:15 PM
    Modem Tethering on like 99% of smart phones is always an extra fee.
    12-08-08 07:19 PM
    The problem is, there was no way for me to go "test" out the Bold before I bought one. The iPhone has all the apple stores and the iPod touch to test out. But EVERY single Bold I went to go look at were the "dummy" demo phones, which give you no way to test it out. (and unfortunately again, not a SINGLE person I know has a blackberry, not a single one)

Unfortunately I looked at the youtube videos and the online reviews, but most of the reviews are by those who know how to use them or are those who benefit from the Blackberry's feature set. They never talk about the additional costs of the service, tethering, nor the application costs which are significantly higher for the good ones than the iPhones.

It's fine. I just bought a new car, it has its own plus's and minus's compared to the cheaper cost to operate than my old car.

It was my rant. hopefully it all smooths out.

If anyone can figure out a way to hack the d.amn thing it's me... and when I do, I'm sure it'll fit the bill.

Mario
    12-08-08 07:35 PM
    Sorry to hear your current unhappy state with the Bold - I suppose what we should all take away from this, is that if you're considering jumping platforms -be it a smartphone, game system or a home computer - do a LOT of research beforehand and really get to grips with any potential shortcomings.

As a Mac-user myself, I investigated the BlackBerry as well as the iPhone for a couple weeks before making a decision. Wasn't easy - as both have their strengths... But for what I use a smartphone for right now, the BB was a better fit.

Believe me though - if the iPhone was available on a better carrier, actually had a user-swapable battery, improved camera and you could MMS message and copy/paste on the things, along with true push eMail? Man- that'd be tough to decide. Especially with out-of-the-box Mac compatability.

But that's for a future head-to-head I suppose.
    Right now, if the Bold really isn't your thing, you could always go back. Or, re-evaluate what it is you really want or need out of a mobile device.
    Best of luck, either way.

Oh, and quick-like, just one other thing: if you're thinking a buying a first-time "never tried it before" product - WAIT until you CAN try it. Demo models don't do jack except showcase the mockup and how it'll fit in your purse or jeans pocket.

I'm Godd@mn glad I didn't rush out to pre-order a Storm when they first released... Wow.
    Try before you buy. And USE those trial days!!
    Last edited by Digital_Cataclysm; 12-08-08 at 08:02 PM.
    12-08-08 07:54 PM
    Yep...if you can't try it, don't buy it. Folks will have you sold on something that ain't about nuthin', once you get it and actually use it. Opinions are just that...opinions.

People like what they like, and often there's no logic to it. That's fine. That's why I've spent weeks, messin' around with The Bold. I've read, and read some more. I can pretty much sift thru the hype and get down to the real deal: Will the phone do what I need it to do, consistently. I believe the Bold will indeed.

Now, it was CLOSE between the Bold and the HTC Touch Pro (Fuze). I still love the look of that phone, and the qwerty keyboard. Makes my eyes water. BUT I concluded that it wouldn't be a good phone for me, in the long run. I don't have time (nor the desire) to spend hours/days at xda developers, trying to figure out hacks and customizations to make it work for me. I played with a live demo, in the store.

Plus, as much as I like the look of touch screens, I don't like the performance. They seem prone to technical difficulties. I knew that I would probably end up tossing my Fuze out a window, at some point.

Also, sometimes you have to ask the store reps for a live demo for a dummy display phone. They keep them "in the drawer", and will pull them out, if you ask.
    12-08-08 08:29 PM
    I agree completely with one of his major points..

The software itself is a rediculous difference between the device's in price

im+ on the iPhone is 10 bucks I think or 15 one of the 2

and its 50 dollars on blackberry's..

The programs are almost identical.

I am not saying that there isn't other solutions

But that is made by the same company!

Most the application's for basic things on blackberrys that you have to pay for are way way over priced.. some of which are completely free on the app store for iPhone. I will never knock my BB because its much more use to me then my iPhone was.. but I hope soon that developers realize that this is a mobile platform just like any other and over pricing by that much is rediculous.
    12-08-08 08:39 PM
    Yep, the price for apps for BlackBerries are a bit ridiculous, but hopefully that changes soon since other phones have cheaper competition. I use both devices. I never buy apps for my BBs, I just buy for the iPhone.
    12-08-08 09:08 PM
    Don't worry Desantim. You will get use to the Bold. I too am a convert from the Iphone. Had the 2G & 3G. The main thing that really got me to switch was the horrible battery life and dropped calls all the time. It didn't seem what type of signal i was getting. People always thought I was hanging up on them. I found it to be very unreliable if I was using it for important calls because I would end up losing them.
    12-08-08 09:35 PM
    Well, if Sprint ever gets the cool blackberry's I'd expect an exodus from AT&T. I left them paying 125 a month, and I now get a ton more features for 69.99 a month minus my 10% credit union discount. I absolutely love my Curve, so I have no reason to switch, but AT&T just has horrible pricing plans. More cell carriers need a SERO type option. Its the wave of the future.
    12-08-08 09:55 PM
    I'm sure with use, I will eventually forget the iPhone and it's beautiful apps, cheap prices, and huge underground following...

Like a previous poster said, I can't understand the huge differences in pricing between the same app offered on one platform to another. 35$ is a steep premium to pay since it is a 400% different from the same app on another platform.

The problem right now with the blackberry platform is RIM doesn't offer any built in competition and there aren't any valid free options out there. Developers like IM+ can jack up prices a huge amount because what else is there? There are 10 multi-protocol clients for the iPhone and they all work decently. I've read numerous reviews of clients for the Blackberry and none of them are an end all client like the iPhone has in many of their offerings...

Oh well
    12-08-08 10:36 PM
    Sorry to hear that, but most stores will have a demo phone that you can actually use in the store. And I can't imagine that a rep wouldn't at least take one out of the box for you and let you hold it and whatnot in the store. I do it for customers all the time, so they can actually have it in their hands and press the buttons themselves and whatnot.

As far as "free" options...what specifically are you looking for? There are tons of freebies for berrys and some yes, you do have to pay for. Nothing can really be done about that, especially if some apps and whatnot are 3rd party apps. That's not RIMs fault if a 3rd party application wants to charge you "x" amount of dollars to use it.

Hope things get better for you though and the Bold suits you better with time.
    12-09-08 12:13 AM
    I agree completely with one of his major points..

The software itself is a rediculous difference between the device's in price

im+ on the iPhone is 10 bucks I think or 15 one of the 2

and its 50 dollars on blackberry's..

The programs are almost identical.

I am not saying that there isn't other solutions

But that is made by the same company!

Most the application's for basic things on blackberrys that you have to pay for are way way over priced.. some of which are completely free on the app store for iPhone. I will never knock my BB because its much more use to me then my iPhone was.. but I hope soon that developers realize that this is a mobile platform just like any other and over pricing by that much is rediculous.
    I, too, agree with some of his points. I came from an iPhone as well, and had well over 50 apps on my phone (wasn't jailbroken). Out of the 50 apps, there were only 2 apps that I actually paid for and they didn't total more than $5. There are HUNDREDS of useful apps for the iphone for less than $10.

OTOH, I'm currently interested in the BB Ascendo Money app, and it costs $29 Not a knock to the RIM platform, but a observation.

IMO, OP makes good points, and shouldn't basically be TOLD he didn't do enough research.
    12-09-08 07:55 AM
    IMO, OP makes good points, and shouldn't basically be TOLD he didn't do enough research.
    This is not a slam of the OP, but just as you thought he made some good points (and he did), so did the rest of us. Plus, his experience will be a guide for others, who will be tempted to do the same thing. Don't do it. It'll save you some grief. That's the point.

It doesn't mean he's a bad guy. I've purchased things, without trying them out (or researching) and folks told me, "You didn't do your homework". I said, "Yep, you're exactly right!". I didn't get mad, nor defensive. Neither did the OP (as far as I can tell), so....it's all good.
    12-09-08 08:45 AM
    The Ascendo Money app is great. It comes with the version for the blackberry and the desktop. Install both and if you make changes on either or, all you do is press the synchronize button and they are both synchronized together. For a long while I hav been wanting something like this so I can mark things while I'm out instead of having to remember or keep receipts.
    12-09-08 09:06 AM
    The Ascendo Money app is great. It comes with the version for the blackberry and the desktop. Install both and if you make changes on either or, all you do is press the synchronize button and they are both synchronized together. For a long while I hav been wanting something like this so I can mark things while I'm out instead of having to remember or keep receipts.
    Good call; thanks!
    12-09-08 12:36 PM
    This is not a slam of the OP, but just as you thought he made some good points (and he did), so did the rest of us. Plus, his experience will be a guide for others, who will be tempted to do the same thing. Don't do it. It'll save you some grief. That's the point.

It doesn't mean he's a bad guy. I've purchased things, without trying them out (or researching) and folks told me, "You didn't do your homework". I said, "Yep, you're exactly right!". I didn't get mad, nor defensive. Neither did the OP (as far as I can tell), so....it's all good.
    I'm not debating
    12-09-08 12:37 PM
    I'm not debating
    Good, then we're both on the same page.
    12-09-08 01:12 PM
    It's all good you guys. I made a conscious decision to switch over. Three years ago I had 2 windows desktops and a brand new windows based laptop, and I went cold turkey to a Mac, and sold all three of my windows computers. I have never looked back. Three years later, I am yet to own or even miss my windows computer.

Story goes, I have had decent luck in the past and I think it is just shell shock with the new platform that's all.

If I'm not happy with the selection of software, I guess I'm going to have to get my little programming hands going and start writing some software for the platform. I know RIM uses a java based programming platform, and I've been writing java for about 6 years now (and drinking more than enough of it in the process)

Thanks for everyones input!
    12-09-08 01:39 PM
    It's all good you guys. I made a conscious decision to switch over. Three years ago I had 2 windows desktops and a brand new windows based laptop, and I went cold turkey to a Mac, and sold all three of my windows computers. I have never looked back. Three years later, I am yet to own or even miss my windows computer.

Story goes, I have had decent luck in the past and I think it is just shell shock with the new platform that's all.

If I'm not happy with the selection of software, I guess I'm going to have to get my little programming hands going and start writing some software for the platform. I know RIM uses a java based programming platform, and I've been writing java for about 6 years now (and drinking more than enough of it in the process)

Thanks for everyones input!
    Good...I hope you grow to love your Blackberry!
    12-09-08 03:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD