I'm quite surprised this hasn't shown up yet as a discussion. but with the Apple announcement this week, what does this mean for the Smart Phone market in relation to RIM?

Apple has added:
    -Push Email (through an exchange server)
    -Push Calendar (through an exchange server)
    -Push Address Book (through an exchange server)
    -3rd Party Apps

IMHO, these were many of the reasons i personally picked RIM over the iPhone. To be honest, my 3rd party apps on my BB8830we are Epocrates (i'm a paramedic), and some games. Otherwise I remain in the calendar program (sync'd thru google sync).

In fact, now that Apple has included these new features, it appears that the native feature set of the iPhone seems to be a better choice except for one major thing I can think of, no CDMA.

What does everyone else think?
    03-08-08 03:18 PM
    Well, to me it means that iPHone is simply trying to be just like Blackberry. They're jealous!! Aww.
    03-08-08 03:50 PM
    means they are trying to catch up to the BB by adding as they go! typical microsoft ploy which is BAD. iPhone has it pluses but using activesync will hurt as is flaky program. echange email is good though, microsoft got something right, finally!!
    03-08-08 04:30 PM
    you're absolutely right, they're trying to match RIM's model of phones and data services, the issue i'm curious with is that apple seems to exceed in many other aspects: UI, Multimedia, Web, and other graphical elements.

its almost like comparing BB to palm, palm had a good thing going, but RIM does it MUCH better...
    03-08-08 04:32 PM
    its like taking **** with open door.
    03-08-08 06:35 PM
    I have played around with the iphone before and I was not impressed. The phone will have to fly or do something magical for me to even consider it.
    03-08-08 06:39 PM
    Really, Apple taking on RIM for the BES users is insane. Kinda like other taking on Apple in the mp3 market. Just a thought. Oh and I am a MAC fan use a mac book pro 17.1 in black, best laptop I have ever had
    03-08-08 06:46 PM
    Interesting topic for sure....

but to me...the Pearl just can't lose. Smaller and lighter than the IPhone...plus the ability to download apps/themes as I wish. Still like the keyboard too over the annoying touch screen. (but it is nice in browsing.)

Hopefully RIM answers with some upgrades to their media.

Gotta stick with BB & RIM for now!! Just too addicted to stop!

Plus...I never heard of a ICrack forum yet!

(one other annoucement....just realized this is my 100th post!! Feels good!! Now on to 500!)
    03-08-08 07:23 PM
    Regardless of the facts, I already have a T-mobile MDA collecting about 4 inches of dust on my dresser for the simple reason that I hate touch screens. I'll settle for my Curve any day.
    03-08-08 07:46 PM
    Think of the cool stuff we will be able to see from RIM in the next generation of blackberry.

Probably even some handy new stuff in future OS features.

This is my second blackberry and I don't plan on switching. I was tempted by the iphone, but I feared for the touchscreen in my pocket. Lol.
    All-in-all this just seems like a good time to sit back, watch them try to best each other, and see what we end up with.B)
    03-08-08 07:51 PM
    Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, RIM leads Apple follows.
    NUFF SAID!!!!!
    03-08-08 11:23 PM
    Its means nothing to RIM. I don't see how this would have an impact on what RIM currently offers. The iphone is huge compared to say a curve or a pearl. Plus the touch screen is a novelty. I wouldn't be able to deal with the touch screen keyboard all the time. Palm imo has the right combination with a built in keyboard and touch screen all in pne. i've used the iphone plenty of times because my girl friend has one and I prefer my 8100.

It would be nice to have a touch screen but I prefer a keyboard. I feel companies will stick with the BlackBerry and RIM has nothing to fear.
    03-09-08 01:10 AM
    Its means nothing to RIM. I don't see how this would have an impact on what RIM currently offers. The iphone is huge compared to say a curve or a pearl. Plus the touch screen is a novelty. I wouldn't be able to deal with the touch screen keyboard all the time. Palm imo has the right combination with a built in keyboard and touch screen all in pne. i've used the iphone plenty of times because my girl friend has one and I prefer my 8100.

It would be nice to have a touch screen but I prefer a keyboard. I feel companies will stick with the BlackBerry and RIM has nothing to fear.
    I beg to differ. I do hope RIM is paying attention, which I'M sure that they are doing each and every day. A good example of a Company who had nothing to Fear, nor did the competition means anything to them is PALM/TREO. They are now sucking wind just trying to stay in the race.
    BTW.... There are rumors about RIM and a "Touch Screen"
    03-09-08 01:25 AM
    I still think the bb has so many perks over the iPhone. I know somebody with the iPhone... she dropped it ONCE and the only button on the thing broke - the whole phone was kaput and she had to pay out of pocket for a new one. I drop my blackberry way more than I'd like to admit, and it holds up.
    03-09-08 01:35 AM
    Did you read the new reports??? The iPhone can't multi task. If you are doing something, and the phone rings, it shuts the other program down. Only 1 program at a time. And nothing can run in the background.

LOL
    03-09-08 01:48 AM
    i have no problem with RIM products.. but hoping for it releases big screen versions for consumer oriented market..specially for internet and social..
    03-09-08 05:00 AM
    Do you really want a phone that you can't change your own battery? Think about it.
    03-09-08 07:53 AM
    Good luck with a battery pull...
    Plus it's kinda nice to have the full OS on my computer. Once I get mine set up the way I want, it seems like there should be a way with a little digging to adress the little things i'd likee to chang, like vibe & ring.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by fonebrkr; 03-09-08 at 10:03 AM.
    03-09-08 09:31 AM
    The battery pulls are an issue, but they resolved that with a button combination, similar to my 8830 with the lALT-rSHIFT-Del reset...

my issue is that for me, push email brought me to the BB, that and reliability (which is waining minimally lately).

take the fact that iPhone may be leveling that playing ground with their push services, and take into account that they have far superior multimedia services (playback of multimedia files & web usage)... thats where i think RIM needs to take up some slack..
    03-09-08 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD