So I'm not too sure if a thread has started on this, but on my drive into work today,on the radio the hosts were talking about the iOS5 and they have a "new" feature that blinks the camera flash when you have a new message. Patent infringement case?
    11-14-11 09:47 AM
    So I'm not too sure if a thread has started on this, but on my drive into work today,on the radio the hosts were talking about the iOS5 and they have a "new" feature that blinks the camera flash when you have a new message. Patent infringement case?
    For what? Another phone having an LED light? This isn't groundbreaking science. There is an option in the iPhone4s to have the camera flash blink. I used it, but it's too bright. It's almost like a strobe light. I turned it off.
    11-14-11 10:50 AM
    just wondering what peoples thoughts were.. not looking to troll..
    11-14-11 10:54 AM
    I didn't say you were. RIM suing Apple for a LED notification is like Chevy suing Ford because they both make cars.
    11-14-11 10:56 AM
    haha, well played
    11-14-11 11:05 AM
    Should RIM sue every other phone maker with a keyboard too?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-11 11:38 AM
    doesn't seem very useful because the light is on the back.

Who places their phone face down??
    11-14-11 02:01 PM
    Really to tell you the truth are you going to have your iPhone if you had one and have it upside down to see the LED go off?? Same thing the poster above me said.

Also and please don't get ticked off but I don't think this needed to be asked here in this forum regardless the reason.
    11-14-11 02:16 PM

I keep mine clipped to my lamp on my night stand. The back faces me, so it was useful for me, but with it being so bright, it kept bugging me. LED notification isn't that important to me anyway. I have my LED on my Storm2 turned off.
    11-14-11 02:17 PM

on the radio, the guy who had the notification flash on was in the gym change room and when it went off there was a guy changing, who coincidentally thought this guy was taking a pic of him..which led to major awkwardness and the guy wanting to beat the stuffing out him.. why use a full powered flash for a notification? And yes who places their phone facing down?
    11-14-11 02:21 PM
    "copying" is such a fanboy term.

when will people learn that through "copying", products improve across the board and consumers benefit on a whole? if you're talking about some intellectual property stuff, go ahead, but an LED light notification/other non-design related physical features made to improve convenience?

come on.

i hope all manufacturers incorporate the LED by the time my contract ends. it'll make my decision a lot easier
    11-14-11 02:25 PM
    My first ever mobile phone, an Alcatel around 1996-1997 had a blinking light, it wasn't invented by RIM.

11-14-11 02:27 PM
    on the radio, the guy who had the notification flash on was in the gym change room and when it went off there was a guy changing, who coincidentally thought this guy was taking a pic of him..which led to major awkwardness and the guy wanting to beat the stuffing out him.. why use a full powered flash for a notification? And yes who places their phone facing down?
    HAHAHA. That is too funny.

11-14-11 02:38 PM
    Hah. Didn't even know you could do that... Maybe it would be useful if the front facing camera had a flash that happened to be red...
    11-14-11 08:19 PM
    My Droid from 3 years ago had a LED notifier built right in to the front, did RIM sue them? There is literally zero grounds for patent infringement, especially because Apple never intended for the camera flash to be used that way.

I know you say you aren't trolling, but c'mon...
    11-14-11 08:25 PM
    The flashing LED in iOS 5 is an accessibility feature aimed at the hearing impaired (it flashes to alert of incoming calls, etc). A similar feature allows users to create customized vibration patterns for different contacts, thus allowing the deaf (and the blind) to identify callers based solely on the vibration pattern during an incoming call.
    11-14-11 09:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD