Would it be legal for RIM to support iOS apps on BB10, like they currently support Android?
    08-31-12 12:09 AM
    If Apple gives their consent.. However, developers can easily take advantage of this as 3rd Party. Actually even 3rd Party is not entitled to access however it's complicated to rule this out like many piracy apps already available on iOS and Android.
    08-31-12 12:34 AM
    i wonder what ever happend to that ios emulator running on the playbook? someone buy him out or he just underground?
    08-31-12 03:19 AM
    Apple wouldn't allow it, the only reason BlackBerry's 'support' Android apps is because Android is open source.
    08-31-12 03:30 AM
    I don't know that it's at all possible. Unless i'm mistaken which is very possible, iOS apps are written using Apple provided frameworks and whatnot, all set on strict standards of course defined by Apple. I think a developer would have to port their code to a different platform as opposed to be able to run the iOS package. At any rate, I only know that for an app to exist on iOS, it has to be written to Apple's specs using Apple's SDKs and etc etc.

Any more knowledgeable devs have any insights?

Written from BitPusher's BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    08-31-12 04:25 AM
    There is no problem emulating anything. It's not RIMs fault that an IOS app communicates with a piece of their code.
    08-31-12 06:38 AM
    Short and Long answer: No
    08-31-12 06:51 AM
    Apple would fight this to the death. Ain't going to happen unless someone releases some code or jailbreak underground and then runs for their life.

Even if it did happen, installing apps would be difficult as access through iTunes would be blocked, just like Android Market doesn't work on Playbook. There may have to be some conversion process also, like APK to BAR.

What *could* be done by RIM to get around it is they can find a way for iOS developers to take their existing code and very easily convert it over to a Playbook/BB10 app.

For example, HTML5/webworks apps are also built for iOS. Adobe Flash apps are also made for iOS. So converting code over (translating the function calls and formats and so on) could be done but it would rest with each developer to do it, just like Android developers can do it now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    08-31-12 07:00 AM
    That popcorn game, don't remember the full name, developer ported it from iOS to pb of new and few hours. So some iOS apps are easily ported but it would take the dev to do it.

Edit: maybe popcorny? Bridged so can't look at app world.
    08-31-12 07:13 AM
    We already have VMs and emulators which allow cross-platform operation in the real computer (desktop/laptop) world. I see no (legal) reason why someone could not develop a VM which runs on RIM OS and supports native iOS applications. It would be a huge task with uncertain commercial benefit, but as a technical concept it should be possible. There would be no way to prevent the development, providing it did not steal Apple's proprietary code.
    08-31-12 07:58 AM
    The iOS wrapper that has its own news post here on Crackberry proves that it's possible, so you guys can quit discussing that.

The question of whether it's legal is a different matter.
    Is it legal to have an iOS wrapper that allows iOS applications to run on the Playbook?
    - Yes - Provided no original Apple code is used in the wrapper

The muddy part is getting apps to use with the wrapper. Apple's TOS (which has been used in court as a legally binding contract) states that developers can not use the xCode tools to develop applications for platforms other than Apple's OSX and iOS platforms.

So the only way to obtain apps would be illegally by the users.

The most likely scenario is that RIM finds a loophole in Apple's developer TOS or offers a compiler that could skirt the xCode restrictions.
    08-31-12 08:28 AM
    So the only way to obtain apps would be illegally by the users.
    ... but only Android users pirate apps though.
    08-31-12 08:32 AM
    I think the only way you'll get iOS apps legally is if the dev ports their own app and put it in app world.
    08-31-12 08:38 AM
    Thanks for the answers. With Android support, I figured that a lot of people could say, "so what", why not just get an Android phone. But, with iOS and Android support, that would have been a big differentiator. I am concerned about the long tail of apps. Getting companies and people to reprogram them may be very tough.
    08-31-12 12:42 PM
    Some devs/dev companies should do some serious market research! This is just an example, but my guess is that there are a lot more:

Role Playing Games - RPG's

- There are about 3 worthwile rpgs available in App World.

Pocket RPG was 4,50�, Earth and Legend is 6,50� and Eternal Legacy when appeared, was at the same price(Not to mention Galaxy on Fire which has some Rpg twitches and sells for 9,50�).

In Android and iOS there are dozens of rpgs and a lot of them are for free!

If the devs ported them, wouldnt they sell? In a market that lacks offer?

Just a complaint, sorry for this sort of highjacking.

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-31-12 01:14 PM
    Android: open source
    Apple ios is not
    08-31-12 01:26 PM
    Apple would have to first buy a PlayBook to know exactly what's happening! Look developers can just sit in France and do what they like. No software laws apply there.. How will Apple sue?
    08-31-12 11:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD