I saw this article in my Rss feed. I think Volvo and MB are making a big mistake. Clearly someone didn't get the memo about QNX...

What are your thoughts about this and its impact on BlackBerry?

Apple Launching 'iOS In The Car' Next Week With Ferrari, Volvo and Mercedes-Benz - Mac Rumors
    02-28-14 09:26 PM
    I saw this article in my Rss feed. I think Volvo and MB are making a big mistake. Clearly someone didn't get the memo about QNX...

What are your thoughts about this and its impact on BlackBerry?

Apple Launching 'iOS In The Car' Next Week With Ferrari, Volvo and Mercedes-Benz - Mac Rumors
    My thoughts are well WTF Mercedes-Benz thought we were cool with you guys, that aside, smart move on Apple's part. Now anybody who is trying to enter the car market will be "copying Apple" even though the majority of people dont understand QNX has been powering car infotainment for years. Hopefully we see some of the QNX concept cars come to live sooner rather than later. I think they are going to be a hit, especially considering they are trying to cater to both Android and BlackBerry functionality. I say Android because they demoed a Sony device pairing with the car and working .
    02-28-14 09:36 PM
    IOS in the car can run in conjunction with QNX car platform or any other car infotainment platform. The two aren't mutually exclusive. QNX is likely handling the low level stuff, while iOS handles all the user facing UI and applications.
    app_Developer likes this.
    02-28-14 09:41 PM
    IOS in the car can run in conjunction with QNX car platform or any other car infotainment platform. The two aren't mutually exclusive. QNX is likely handling the low level stuff, while iOS handles all the user facing UI and applications.
    Ok thanks for clarifying that, i didnt know thats how it worked.
    02-28-14 09:44 PM
    One thing is certain, there will be a lot of people getting lost with the iOS...Apple maps is horrible.

It will be nice to see QNX to become more front and center with UI and all and in more vehicles
    02-28-14 09:50 PM
    It doesn't work unless you have an iOS device in your pocket. It's like mirrorcast (not Miracast).
    So, according to my research, there's no embedded Apple maps, siri etc in the car at all.
    And yes, if the car was being run by QNX, it still is. iOS can't run a car, it can't multitask worth a spit.
    newcollector likes this.
    03-01-14 11:56 AM
    It doesn't work unless you have an iOS device in your pocket. It's like mirrorcast (not Miracast).
    So, according to my research, there's no embedded Apple maps, siri etc in the car at all.
    And yes, if the was being run by QNX, it still is. iOS can't run a car, it can't multitask worth a spit.
    Definitely can't multi-task. I just shake my head when I watch my wife try to do a couple of things at once. Its like watching a symphony of wasted movement.
    BadGoliath42 likes this.
    03-01-14 12:00 PM
    Confirmed: CarPlay runs on QNX

http://n4bb.com/apple-carplay-infota...ackberrys-qnx/

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 11:48 PM
    Confirmed: CarPlay runs on QNX

http://n4bb.com/apple-carplay-infota...ackberrys-qnx/

Posted via CB10
    It looks like it doesn't "run" on QNX. CarPlay simply streams an iOS app from an iPhone to the car screen, so -- although it could use QNX for the streaming -- it doesn't require QNX.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 09:31 AM
    One thing is certain, there will be a lot of people getting lost with the iOS...Apple maps is horrible.

It will be nice to see QNX to become more front and center with UI and all and in more vehicles
    It's been fine for me, in Canada, US, and Netherlands. In some areas it definitely falls flat but it also hasn't been nearly as bad as media says it is (geez, doesn't that sound familiar?)
    03-04-14 09:40 AM
    It's a glorified iphone app that runs in a car. That's it.

Basically it takes your iPhone screen and puts it in the car using Bluetooth

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 09:44 AM
    It's a glorified iphone app that runs in a car. That's it.

Basically it takes your iPhone screen and puts it in the car using Bluetooth

Posted via CB10
    Nope, as non-Apple-ish as this sounds, last thing I heard was that it requires a wired Lightning connection to the phone.

@ all
    I don't really see a problem here. My guess is that it'll be optional when configuring a new car, while the same vehicles will also be available with other solutions.
    03-04-14 09:50 AM
    I would not be surprised if users have to pay 500$ for this feature in their car, as they often have to pay that for GPS.

And as said before, iOS is NOT licensed to these car company, only the ability to use some of your own smartphone features.

I am always surprised how much effort third-party companies put in development for iPhone when they are losing terrain everyday to Android. I understand doing it for Apple products, but gosh, Android has way more users!

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    03-04-14 10:02 AM
    Nope, as non-Apple-ish as this sounds, last thing I heard was that it requires a wired Lightning connection to the phone.

@ all
    I don't really see a problem here. My guess is that it'll be optional when configuring a new car, while the same vehicles will also be available with other solutions.
    Ah yeah you're right, it does require a wire. But what I meant is that it's just like plugging your phone to TV with HDMI, except that Apple created an App that would run in the car infotainment

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 10:52 AM