Or is there some legal issue or something?
    Do you think RIM will somehow take advantage of this? Cause I see how it could entice iOS developers to make a little extra cash by having their apps on one more platform (blackberry), so will this happen?
    Or will RIM see it as to "sketchy" and unprofessional?
    I think it's really cool but I'm just asking if RIM will have anything to do with it in the future.
    06-12-12 05:45 PM
    I doubt this will ever happen.
    06-12-12 05:47 PM
    If it could happen then great. I doubt most developers for apple sign exclusivity agreements, I'm guessing they simply decide to develop for apple
    06-12-12 06:34 PM
    My take: You want to run iOS apps, buy an iOS device.

This will ultimately prove pointless.
    06-12-12 06:35 PM
    More apps the better, if devs who made apps for iOS see this and can do it in an hour or two, then go for it And submit to RIM, what can it hurt them lol.
    06-12-12 06:42 PM
    My take: You want to run iOS apps, buy an iOS device.

This will ultimately prove pointless.

And what makes it an "iOS app"? A game is a game...an app is an app
    06-16-12 08:38 PM
    It doesn't need RIM permission if the hacker want to release it
    Arrr...
    06-16-12 08:49 PM
    If RIM were to try and release this officially, they would need a huge increase in their legal budget.
    06-16-12 09:09 PM
    It would be nice to know what some iOS devs think about this "opportunity"

It's still a numbers game for them. The only RIM device on the market to run these apps is about a million or so Playbooks.
    06-16-12 09:25 PM
    If RIM were to try and release this officially, they would need a huge increase in their legal budget.
    This right here.

Say what you want about it... RIM ain't that crazy.
    06-16-12 09:44 PM
    "Nothing is stronger than an idea whose time has come." - Victor Hugo

Not Apple, with it's money, political influence and lawyers can stop this now. The proof of concept has been shown. While it is likely Apple's attorneys have already sent a cease and desist letter, the idea will likely be pursued in academia around the world, where Apple can't stop it.

Do they hear that out in Cupertino? That is the sound of garden walls crumbling.

RIM has the chance to offer the ultimate in freedom...choice. Devs can use any number of application development options. Users will be able to select apps for BB10, Android and maybe iOS. Windows is a hold out but, I would argue it has been rendered moot now.
    06-17-12 01:16 AM
    So, when a smart Alec developer offers BBM to run on iOS that would be cool right?
    06-17-12 02:50 AM
    So, when a smart Alec developer offers BBM to run on iOS that would be cool right?
    Please go do that. Spend hundreds of man hours getting BBM to "run" on iOS. Then, when you're done, I'll sit back and laugh because you wasted your time. Unless you figure out how to register a non-BB device without a PIN on the RIM BIS server, it will not work.
    06-17-12 07:15 AM
    An app that is tied to hardware as tightly as BBM will be hard to make device agnostic. A stand alone game is obviously do able as the developer has shown. How will Apple even know if an app submitted to RIM contains iOS code in a wrapper?
    06-17-12 08:46 AM
    An app that is tied to hardware as tightly as BBM will be hard to make device agnostic. A stand alone game is obviously do able as the developer has shown. How will Apple even know if an app submitted to RIM contains iOS code in a wrapper?
    It won't contain Apple code unless the dev had access to the actual source.

Like some iOS and BB apps, any app tied to the ecosystem is probably not going to run in another ecosystem. This is certainly true of BB because data is signed with a certificate issued by BES/BIS. I don't know if that is true of Apple. That is, if you tried to run an app like App World on an Android device, it would not work even if the app actually ran.
    06-17-12 09:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD