This is why I think reporters should do a good job saying what surveys are measuring ...

Yesterday, Windows Phone fans were jumping up and down because of reporters that Windows Phone had "passed BlackBerry in the US to become the 3rd largest platform". Today, Comscore disputes that. And it's likely just a case of one study measured quarterly sales but expressed it as active users.

Windows Phone market share shrank in Q4 2012 | BGR

--------------------------
    iOS, Android remained dominant in Q4 as Windows Phone’s market share actually shrank
    Windows Phone Market Share
    mobile
    Feb 7, 2013 by Brad Reed

This wasn’t the sort of glittering debut that Steve Ballmer had in mind when his company launched Windows Phone 8 last quarter. According to the latest numbers from comScore, Microsoft’s (MSFT) share of the United States mobile operating system market actually shrank to 2.9% in the fourth quarter of 2012, despite the high-profile debuts of Windows Phone 8 and devices such as the Nokia (NOK) Lumia 920 and the HTC (2498) Windows Phone 8X. ComScore also found that Android maintained its position as the top mobile OS in the U.S. with a market share of 53.4%, while iOS closed the gap a bit by increasing its market share from 34.3% in Q3 2012 to 36.3% in Q4 2012, aided in part by the launch of the iPhone 5.

ComScore’s latest findings do contradict recent research from Strategy Analytics showing that Microsoft last quarter had overtaken BlackBerry for the first time to become America’s No.3 mobile OS. In comScore’s latest report, BlackBerry maintains its third-place spot at 6.4% of the American smartphone market. All the same, both reports indicate that Android and iOS remained dominant in the American smartphone market while Microsoft and BlackBerry are fighting it out over single-digit shares for the first time.
    02-07-13 02:30 PM
    That is interesting. I suspect that these numbers can be smudged in either direction. But it is an interesting dynamic to watch. Great Find OP.
    02-07-13 03:27 PM
    Dan Rubino where aaaaaaare you?
    HUNTZODIAC likes this.
    02-07-13 03:30 PM
    Dan Rubino where aaaaaaare you?
    WPCENTRAL reported this as well. I suspect it's more a question of the analyst who wrote the report didn't write clearly and thus people assumed fourth quarter sales meant that the userbase had surpassed overall.

Dan's not a bad guy.
    02-07-13 03:33 PM
    I don't think it's a matter of losing users. It's a matter of a growing smartphone user base from feature phones.

I do see more people with WP's than I did say a year or so ago.
    02-07-13 06:58 PM