Researchers still find iOS apps to be riskier than Android apps - SC Magazine
    Content:
    Following previous studies, researchers are still finding that mobile apps on iOS are riskier than apps on Android.

The summer 2014 Appthority App Reputation Report reveals that 87 percent of the top paid iOS apps exhibited at least one top 10 risky behavior, whereas only 78 percent of the top paid Android apps did the same. It was even when it came to the top free apps; 99 percent of iOS and Android apps exhibited at least one top 10 risky behavior.

Those risky behaviors include location tracking, accessing address books, accessing calendars, identifying users, in-app purchasing, sharing data with ad networks, social networking, analytics frameworks, crash reporting and cloud file storage, according to the report.

The study analyzes the top 100 paid and free apps for both devices.
    08-06-14 12:11 AM
    Researchers still find iOS apps to be riskier than Android apps - SC Magazine
    Content:
    Following previous studies, researchers are still finding that mobile apps on iOS are riskier than apps on Android.

The summer 2014 Appthority App Reputation Report reveals that 87 percent of the top paid iOS apps exhibited at least one top 10 risky behavior, whereas only 78 percent of the top paid Android apps did the same. It was even when it came to the top free apps; 99 percent of iOS and Android apps exhibited at least one top 10 risky behavior.

Those risky behaviors include location tracking, accessing address books, accessing calendars, identifying users, in-app purchasing, sharing data with ad networks, social networking, analytics frameworks, crash reporting and cloud file storage, according to the report.

The study analyzes the top 100 paid and free apps for both devices.
    I wouldn't be worried about these risky behaviours, especially if they're in the Top 100. Needless to say many of the most popular apps/games involve social networking. That's probably the reason why they're in the Top 100.

The Top 100 is hardly representative of a whole app store anyways.

What I AM worried about is viruses and such, which isn't included on the list. I heard the App Store is free of them, but I'm not sure about the Play Store.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 12:29 AM
    Considering the source, a magazine for IT security folks, they're going to view anything that potentially access info on a device risky. Looking through the items included in the list, they're all fairly common permissions that certain types of apps need to fully function (ie. location tracking for map apps). And realistically, these things aren't unique to iOS or Android...if you grant those same permissions on a BlackBerry or Windows Phone app, the same info is provided.

Thanks for sharing the article deremi. What are your thoughts on it?
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    08-06-14 12:57 AM
    I wouldn't be worried about these risky behaviours, especially if they're in the Top 100. Needless to say many of the most popular apps/games involve social networking. That's probably the reason why they're in the Top 100.

The Top 100 is hardly representative of a whole app store anyways.

What I AM worried about is viruses and such, which isn't included on the list. I heard the App Store is free of them, but I'm not sure about the Play Store.

Posted via CB10
    When the 2014 ios randsomware attacks were carried out, not one person sought to speak. But no it wasn't a virus just a "malicious app."
    Let's get something clear no one makes viruses for the sake of destroying your OS anymore.
    We make them to get money, and we do.
    It's a growing multi-million dollar industry.

Posted via my STA100-5 z30
    08-06-14 07:46 AM