RIM investor seeks to split CEO, chairman roles | Reuters

(Reuters) - An investor in Research In Motion has pushed for a shareholder vote on whether Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie should retain shared roles as chairmen of the board and chief executives at the BlackBerry maker.

A proposal put forward by Northwest & Ethical Investments, calls on RIM to divide the roles and amend its bylaws to ensure the chair is an independent board member, RIM said in a regulatory filing on Friday.

Balsillie stepped down from the board in February 2009 following a stock options accounting scandal but was returned, along with Lazaridis, as co-chairmen in December 2010.

Northern and Ethical Investments said the move "contradicts the company's own statement, widely acknowledged best practice, and regulatory expectations."

The Canadian company will hold its annual general meeting in Waterloo, Ontario, on July 12.

RIM called on shareholders to vote against the resolution, saying independent board member John Richardson already acts as the de facto leader of the board.

And so it begins....
    06-10-11 03:43 PM
    About time!
    06-10-11 03:52 PM
    Anyone think it will succeed?

I kinda think it's a little late in the game to make such a drastic change but by the same token, they need drastic change.
    06-10-11 03:55 PM
    I don't think it will succeed just because of the vast volume of shares both of them hold, AND the risks that come with a change in CEO's at such a critical point in RIM's business, changing an OS is one of the most dangerous things to do for a tech company
    06-10-11 03:58 PM
    It won't happen, understood that RIM is on a severe downswing at the moment, but I think the stockholders will see this has a cyclical situation and not a internal co-ceo problem. Now after the Bold 9900/9930 and Torch2 and the other devices are released and see how their sales do, then you'll see a possible shakeup at the top if they don't live up to expectations. QNX isn't even a question IMO, it's what happens this year that will show where RIM will end up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-11 04:35 PM
    They're not going to switch ceos in the middle of a complete OS and product transition...
    06-10-11 04:57 PM
    Pretty interesting, but isn't a little late? Or is it too early? Since we don't know what exactly is really going on with RIM, their devices or a solid timeline with their products at this point, what would this accomplish right now?
    06-10-11 05:14 PM
    Nothing... just cause an even worse catastrophe. They would have had to have done it before they even started thinking about purchasing QNX, or wait to do it much later from now...
    06-10-11 05:16 PM
    Well technically they wouldn't be changing CEO's. Just demote one and strip both of their positions on the board. The board should be watching the management, not be the management.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    06-10-11 05:25 PM
    Don't split, stick together or merge? :/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-11 06:25 PM
    There is no better time. Waiting for the QNX handhelds, may be a wait that never comes. Let's imagine that the 2011 devices don't start to release until October, and the Monaco/Monza and others don't get out until Nov./Dec due to lingering production or OS issues. The share price could be $15 or less by that point. RIM would be a huge target for takeover, BES admins would be running screaming into the night looking for cover and the exodus from Enterprise would seemingly happen overnight. I don't think this can wait, you need to give analysts a reason to believe and institutional investors a reason to come back.
    06-10-11 06:47 PM
    With the PlayBook debacle and no decent BB's on the horizon the chairman and CEO should be fired.
    06-10-11 10:41 PM
    With the PlayBook debacle and no decent BB's on the horizon the chairman and CEO should be fired.
    WOW really? You won't even consider the upcoming BB7 BBs decent? What are you even looking for exactly that they don't have?
    06-10-11 11:43 PM
    The only value to come of this is it applies a little more pressure to the already twisted nipples on both CEO's. Thus some much awaited answers. I hope!
    06-10-11 11:49 PM
    say it enough times does it come true?
    06-10-11 11:51 PM
    I think that something needs to change at RIM for sure. They waited far too long to start this "transition" period. They basically admitted with the highlander announcement that management failed to manage resources properly. OS7 phones look great, but where are they and what is delay? I know that qnx phones are on hold to get all the security certs in place and bugs worked out, but this OS7 delay is just sad and the OS6 rollout and hardware was a joke.
    06-11-11 07:25 AM
    They delayed the OS7 phones because they are going to really surprise everyone as they will now be QNX phones that aren't ready yet.

Not really.
    06-11-11 07:42 AM
    Debacle? Seriously? Sure there are things that could have been done better, but first-month sales beating the Zoom can hardly be called a debacle. And no decent BB's -- what planet are you from. BB's that are out now are 'decent'. The new ones won't be taking over the world, but they're damn fine looking devices. Ya gotta look a bit past the spec sheet, and while you're at it, quit getting all your opinions from BGR.
    06-11-11 08:02 AM
    Sure there are things that could have been done better, but first-month sales beating the Zoom can hardly be called a debacle.
    The only problem is that the Xoom is a disaster that isn't selling in any kind of numbers, so outselling it isn't terribly meaningful. Honestly though, I think the PlayBook outsold all Android tablets until the release of the Transformer, and in light of Android's smartphone success, beating that platform in tablets *is* meaningful.
    06-11-11 10:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD