02-09-14 08:11 PM
40 12
tools
    I refuse to run Google android applications on my BlackBerry Z10 and Q5.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    Same here...add to that 1 in 20 android apps actually works when side loaded across, it's an absolute joke to say this is the answer to the app catastrophe on BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    bbq10l likes this.
    02-06-14 05:48 PM
    A team to develop 30 standout quality apps? That would be some team. They would have to do what it took hundreds of development companies and thousands of developers to do over some years. I'll make you a deal. You put that team together and if they prove themselves with those kinds of results and I'll raise a billion dollars and buy them all out. More than one company has been sold for half a billion or more after they developed just one quality app.

In other words, there's no way that quality apps can be churned out one after another without the competition of a healthy worldwide app market. It's easy to look at the top 20 list of free and paid apps and think that you could just put together a team of devs to do that. It's like looking at the top 20 songs on music charts and thinking that you can put together a supergroup that can make something just as good as Bruno Mars or whatever.
    02-06-14 05:51 PM
    A team to develop 30 standout quality apps? That would be some team. They would have to do what it took hundreds of development companies and thousands of developers to do over some years. I'll make you a deal. You put that team together and if they prove themselves with those kinds of results and I'll raise a billion dollars and buy them all out. More than one company has been sold for half a billion or more after they developed just one quality app.
    You seem to think developing an app is rocket science...you have an idea, you create the code to implement the app then you roll it out, with the right people in place creating even 100 apps could be possible...it's the type of approach that you have expressed which holds companies back, because for every innovator there's always going to be 5 naysayers

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 05:56 PM
    ...said someone who obviously knows very little about app development and support costs. Initial development of an app is only a small part of that app's total cost. There has to be constant on-going maintenance, testing, added features, updated design, and most importantly, support. All of that costs money, and for a "bigger" app, that means having to, at the very least, hire several full-time employees. Do you have any idea what the total costs are for a developer that makes $100k a year? It's more like $200-250k when you factor in recruitment, office space, equipment, taxes, benefits, and so on. Even support people make $60k/yr in California, where that is barely enough to live.

This is why the only factor that most app companies care about is MARKETSHARE. With a large marketshare, that investment in employees and projects can be repaid exponentially. Without a large marketshare, it won't be.

Successful companies understand this. BB10 represents 0.1% of the US market. That's not enough for devs to care about, even if the costs of initial app development are paid for by BB, because the on-going costs will kill them.

You know why most people don't own their own airplane? It isn't because the plane itself costs a ton of money - many can be had for the price of a nice luxury car, or a bit more. It's the ONGOING maintenance costs that will kill you. You may have to spend 50% of the plane's cost every year just to keep it in flyable condition, and if you allow it's flight certification to lapse, it may cost more than the plane's worth to recertify it.

Apps are a lot like planes: the initial cost is only a fraction of the total cost. For a "free" or "low-cost" app, the only way to make money is by having a HUGE user base. 0.1% of the market doesn't even register on the radar, when they can look at Android and see 80% (50% in the US) or iOS and see 15% (48% in the US).

BB was prepared to "buy" apps, but the "important" devs simply weren't interested, because they did much the same math as I did above.
    You make very good points but how do you explain some of the major app developers refusing to even license their apps or api's to BlackBerry who would have spent all the time and money writing and maintaining them? As was asked of Instagram what does a dev have to lose other than some money earning royalties to refuse an offer like that?

Z10 Running 10.2.1.1925 Take that Mr App Gap!
    02-06-14 06:16 PM
    My point is they need a new, and ultimately improved app development team...the one currently in place is not pulling it's weight and should be replaced

Posted via CB10
    People are so quick to hire and fire workers virtually here. Maybe the team just needs to be expanded or have some new leaders

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 07:02 PM
    Same here...add to that 1 in 20 android apps actually works when side loaded across, it's an absolute joke to say this is the answer to the app catastrophe on BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    Um - what?

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 07:03 PM
    You seem to think developing an app is rocket science...you have an idea, you create the code to implement the app then you roll it out, with the right people in place creating even 100 apps could be possible...it's the type of approach that you have expressed which holds companies back, because for every innovator there's always going to be 5 naysayers

Posted via CB10
    Um wow... sorry dude but that's exceedingly naive

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 07:04 PM
    Um wow... sorry dude but that's exceedingly naive

Posted via CB10
    Haha if you say so...so I take it you consider producing an app the equivalent to building and flying a rocket to the moon?! As I said before, it's not rocket science and if BlackBerry made this a priority then they could produce real quality apps no problem, especially with the right team behind it, with vision and ambition

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 07:40 PM
    Um - what?

Posted via CB10
    I said side loading apps from android to BlackBerry is no replacement for quality 'native' apps produced by BlackBerry for BlackBerry...they should lead not follow

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 07:44 PM
    Haha if you say so...so I take it you consider producing an app the equivalent to building and flying a rocket to the moon?!
    No, but having been involved in software for 14 years, I would counter that many of the top apps aren't as simple to design, develop, test, release and support as a quick afternoon of work either. :-)
    02-09-14 07:53 AM
    No, but having been involved in software for 14 years, I would counter that many of the top apps aren't as simple to design, develop, test, release and support as a quick afternoon of work either. :-)
    I'm pretty sure with the right team behind an app it could be produced in no time at all, especially when you consider an app is basically just code, it can be produced as quickly as you can produce the code...this is the reason I say BlackBerry needs to bring in a new team, because I guarantee they have people similar to yourself who believe things can only be done at a snails pace...if I owned BlackBerry I would expect things done efficiently, and if that couldn't be achieved with the team in place I would simply bring in a new one

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 03:02 PM
    To the OP, you are flogging a dead horse and preaching to the choir at the same time.
    For sheer visual appeal, this is the best mixed metaphor I've seen on CrackBerry in ages. Well done.

Point well made too.

Sent via Tapatalk
    02-09-14 03:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    Where did you get that number?

I thought so.

Sent via Tapatalk
    02-09-14 03:31 PM
    I'm pretty sure with the right team behind an app it could be produced in no time at all
    How many apps have you created? Just curious. Have some on BlackBerry World or the App Store that can be tried?
    especially when you consider an app is basically just code, it can be produced as quickly as you can produce the code
    What about the other people that play a role? Like user experience designers who design the flow, testers who beat up on the app to make it work? What if multiple people have to work on the code, like if there's a client component and aserver component? What if one app is considerably more feature rich, is needed in more languages or has much more strict requirements regarding things like security or compliance or functionality in low bandwidth situations?

...this is the reason I say BlackBerry needs to bring in a new team, because I guarantee they have people similar to yourself who believe things can only be done at a snails pace.
    \

I didn't say things needed to only be done at a snail's pace. Only that you're naive about software creation.

..if I owned BlackBerry I would expect things done efficiently, and if that couldn't be achieved with the team in place I would simply bring in a new one
    And there we have it - an armchair CTO.

It's pointless arguing with you. You sound like a naive first year computer science student who thinks that everyone sucks but him and his buddies. That usually fades when they get into the real world and see the work that has to be done.
    02-09-14 05:31 PM
    I'm pretty sure with the right team behind an app it could be produced in no time at all, especially when you consider an app is basically just code, it can be produced as quickly as you can produce the code...this is the reason I say BlackBerry needs to bring in a new team, because I guarantee they have people similar to yourself who believe things can only be done at a snails pace...if I owned BlackBerry I would expect things done efficiently, and if that couldn't be achieved with the team in place I would simply bring in a new one

Posted via CB10
    I'll be polite and simply say, "You're an ***** if you think developing a complete application is trivial."

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    02-09-14 08:11 PM
40 12