Is is possible that an unlocked Blackberry Curve can have softare glitch and become locked? I ask this because I purchased an unlocked Blackberry Curve 8320 in November 2007 and have been using my Curve in several countries with SIM cards from service providers in those countries. Now I get the message "invalid SIM card" when I insert these cards into the Blackberry Curve.

In more detail, I used a Vodocom SIM card in Tanzania in December 2007 and a Bee-Line SIM card in Ukraine in March 2008 (I also used SFR is France and a separate Bee Line card in Russia). Last week in Tanzania I could not use a SIM card from Tanzania in my Curve (we tried several companys' cards) and now in Ukraine I can't use my Bee Line SIM card. I was able to use my old basic Nokia with the Vodacom SIM card in Tanzania and my Bee Line SIM card in Ukraine.
    10-04-08 10:17 AM
    Once a device has been unlocked using the code that matches the IMEI, it shouldn't re-lock itself. Even if you load the latest software on the device, same thing, it wouldn't re-lock itself.

Ofcourse, strange things can happen. Does the present sim card work in any other device?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-08 10:36 AM
    Try making sure that the SIM is seating in it's holder.

Also try using a SOFT eraser, and cleaning the SIM contacts on the inside if the phone. You may want to hold the phone with the back facing down when doing this, so that any eraser crumbs fall out of the phone, and blow out any bits left behind.

With switching SIMs in and out like you have been doing, sometimes oils and dirt from your hands, gets on the SIM cards and then onto the contacts, making them coated with a film of oil and dirt, and they start to corrode a little and stop making a good contact with the SIM card.

If you clean off one or two contacts and notice that they are much brighter looking than the others, this is why, their coated with junk. Also a good idea to swipe the eraser over older SIMs that you use all the time as well, just don't rub hard like you are trying to erase a mistake. A light rub will take of any grime on the contacts.

This also works on battery contacts as well, you just have to use a light touch, so you do not bend or break battery contacts.
    10-04-08 11:30 AM
    Relock after a successful unlock is extremely unlikely, I have never heard of it happening. Hardware fault is more likely.

If more than one card is failing it tends to point to a problem with the SIM reader, or the SIMs you are trying are all disabled. Simple logic suggests the following;
    * If even only one SIM works there is probably not a fault in the SIM reader.
    * If you don't have any working SIMs the fault is probably the phone rather than all the SIMs. Try cleaning the contacts as Blkbear suggests.
    * if a SIM works when tested in any other phone the SIM is not defective or blocked.

You should now have enough information to troubleshoot your problem.
    10-04-08 12:14 PM
    if all else fails, get a new sim card... those things have been known to go bad...
    10-04-08 12:16 PM
    I have the same problem too. Can someone help me out? I just got this phone ebay and its locked with SUNCOM. The seller told me that he spoke to suncom already and that the phone should be working but when I put my sim card, its telling me INVALID SIM CARD. My sim works fine on other phones. Does anyone know whats happening? im tmobile by the way... thank you
    10-22-08 10:49 PM
    You should call suncom yourself and explain the situation. They should give you an unlock code with no problem

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-08 01:06 AM
    Hi I have the same trouble listed above. I purchaset an unlocked BB curve on ebay but when I put my sim card in it. I get the invalid sim message. Did anyone found an answer to this issue since october?
    04-25-09 04:58 PM
    I have a Storm 2, unlocked, bought off of EBAY. When I got the phone I inserted my SIM from GCI, our local cell company here in Anch, AK, and the phone immediately registered it as an invalid SIM card. I thought the phone my be still locked so I purchased unlock codes from Unique Phones, this would my third go round with this company and the first 2 were very successful, I entered all of my new phone's info that was required and waited. Almost 12 hours later I received my unlock codes! I quickly tried them and was unsuccessful. I now have 2 attempts left to unlock the phone. I emailed Unique back stating that the codes didn't work, one of the 5 customer reps that would be working with me wrote that I needed to take a picture or video of the Status screen and of the screen where you type in the codes showing number of attempts left. I went home for lunch, took these pics and send them off. I received and email late last night stating a full refund from Unique and to have a nice day. I replied to Unique asking if this meant they couldn't assist me any further, the email they sent this morning said that they had asked twice for more info from me and I had not replied at all so they refunded my money. URGH!

So, can anyone tell me how to proceed with this?
    12-09-09 12:09 PM
    I have a Storm 2, unlocked, bought off of EBAY. When I got the phone I inserted my SIM from GCI, our local cell company here in Anch, AK, and the phone immediately registered it as an invalid SIM card. I thought the phone my be still locked so I purchased unlock codes from Unique Phones, this would my third go round with this company and the first 2 were very successful, I entered all of my new phone's info that was required and waited. Almost 12 hours later I received my unlock codes! I quickly tried them and was unsuccessful. I now have 2 attempts left to unlock the phone. I emailed Unique back stating that the codes didn't work, one of the 5 customer reps that would be working with me wrote that I needed to take a picture or video of the Status screen and of the screen where you type in the codes showing number of attempts left. I went home for lunch, took these pics and send them off. I received and email late last night stating a full refund from Unique and to have a nice day. I replied to Unique asking if this meant they couldn't assist me any further, the email they sent this morning said that they had asked twice for more info from me and I had not replied at all so they refunded my money. URGH!

So, can anyone tell me how to proceed with this?
    Hi,

to get 100% working code you must read MEP from your phone first via USB and then submit IMEI & MEP for calculation. I recommed FastGSM BlackBerry Unlocking Service. They support all MEPs.

gsmwong
    05-09-10 02:01 AM
    Is is possible that an unlocked Blackberry Curve can have softare glitch and become locked? I ask this because I purchased an unlocked Blackberry Curve 8320 in November 2007 and have been using my Curve in several countries with SIM cards from service providers in those countries. Now I get the message "invalid SIM card" when I insert these cards into the Blackberry Curve.

In more detail, I used a Vodocom SIM card in Tanzania in December 2007 and a Bee-Line SIM card in Ukraine in March 2008 (I also used SFR is France and a separate Bee Line card in Russia). Last week in Tanzania I could not use a SIM card from Tanzania in my Curve (we tried several companys' cards) and now in Ukraine I can't use my Bee Line SIM card. I was able to use my old basic Nokia with the Vodacom SIM card in Tanzania and my Bee Line SIM card in Ukraine.
    You may be using a carrier that utilizes frequencies not supported by your device.
    05-15-10 12:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD