Hi,

First time poster so please bear with me.

I recently received a BB 8820 unlocked as a present that was bought on ebay.

I have the box and everything that came with it and it came as new.

Recently, about a month ago I setup data on my Rogers account and it worked fine until this past weekend (October 16th, 2009). I went to the MI area for the weekend and had my data turned off (ie. Off when roaming).

When I got back into Canada my data services no longer worked. By not worked I mean my e-mails no longer worked, my BBM no longer works, my WeatherChannel WeatherEye, Facebook, gmail no longer works. But, my WAP browser works just fine. Also, the "edge" writing is not capitol indicating no data.

So, I called Rogers and after some holding the level 2 techy told me that my PIN is invalid and that its RIM that is invalidating it and gave me a number to call RIM, and so I did.

Lady at the RIM support center told me that the reason the PIN got invalidated is because its not a "valid" PIN because it begins with 55 and ends in BB. And all PIN's begin with a 2 or 3.

Example: 55****BB

I asked as to why I had the data services for a month and now all of a sudden the PIN got invalidated is because periodically RIM "scans their system" for invalid PIN's and it caught mine and I should consider my self lucky for having it work for less than a month. They said the phone is most likely a clone, however, looking at the phone and the box and everything it does not look like a clone, it looks 100% authentic!

My questions are:

Can this phone be a clone with a PIN like mine?

Is this a stolen phone and it all of a sudden picked something up from AT&T or T-moblie when I was in the states and one of those companies invalidated the PIN? (mind you this is not the first time the phone was with me in the states)

Can anybody provide me with any other answers?

Thank you very much to all that read and those who reply.

Rall
    10-19-09 04:45 PM
    I don't know about clones, but it doesn't sound good for you. Did you pay with paypal or something that can be rescinded? I'd start there and with ebay to get the sale voided and your money back. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-09 04:51 PM
    I did a little more checking, actually a quick google search turns up a lot of info about cloned pin numbers. All of it sounds bad for you. Hopefully you can get ebay to do something as your device, or numbers are stolen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-09 05:00 PM
    So is the phone a clone? Stolen? Or are the numbers just fake for some reason?

Can the PIN/IMEI numbers be changed?

What if I got a hold of a broken bberry and just used that PIN?
    10-21-09 11:17 AM
    wow that sucks
    10-21-09 12:01 PM
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I think my question is somewhat relevant...

If I buy a new Rogers-locked BB and go to unlock it myself (buying a code on the internet, etc) so I can use it on a different carrier, would that ever invalid my PIN? Does RIM have an issue with that?

And to the OP, hope it works out!! On the bright side (if any), you got it as a present?
    10-21-09 12:24 PM
    How can I tell if its a clone?

I got everything with it: charger, box, sleeve, cd everything.

The buyer I got it from on ebay is "ready2call" with 17946 feedback so its not like its somebody pulling a scam. Plus, it was advertised as Brand New Unlocked AT&T T-Mobile.

What nobody has answered me yet is if the PIN number is truly invalid. My PIN is 55****BB. The RIM csr told me that the pins begin with either a 2 or 3, but I am only able to validate this for only original Bell or Rogers locked Blackberries. Is it possible that only Canadian Blackberry PIN's begin with a 2 or 3.

Plus, I find it very suspicous that all of a sudden when I got to the states and come back into Canada that it stops working.

PS. During this whole deal and researching info on the net I found a page about some leaked RIM software that allows the PIN/IMEI and all other info to be changed, it was being sold for 400 Euro's supposedly. Is this true?
    Last edited by Ralliowiec; 10-21-09 at 01:37 PM.
    10-21-09 01:35 PM
    I belive you have a "hot" device board that has been operated on by "hot" software to conceal it true origin.

I know nothing of the capability of the "hot" software, other then it has created a market for stolen goods. That would fit RIM definition of counterfeit products.
    10-21-09 01:43 PM
    yeah, I have a sprint curve and a verizon storm in front of me and both start with a 3.
    10-21-09 02:32 PM
    PS. During this whole deal and researching info on the net I found a page about some leaked RIM software that allows the PIN/IMEI and all other info to be changed, it was being sold for 400 Euro's supposedly. Is this true?
    Yep, there's software to change it.
    10-21-09 02:48 PM
    Have you compared the phone with a friend's 8820? Can you upload photos of your phones?

8820 are a few years old, you don't pick up high price for it, I don't see profit incentive behind making clone out of it?

Your 8820 unit may be genuine but with fake credential. It could be a phone with bad esn or unreleased pin, so someone changed its esn/pin and slapped a new housing and sold it as new.

Blackberry manuals, boxes, they sell them on ebay.
    10-21-09 02:50 PM
    I have not had a chance to compare my 8820 to another one. I can upload pictures.

From the looks of it if it is a clone it is a good one!

Rall
    10-21-09 03:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD