After the jam America and all the leaks of device specs, it seems that the time now feels like the hangover after the big party. So spending sometime looking for news, I stumbled upon this interview with Thortsen when his team paid a visit to carriers in India for BB10 . IMO its a very good insight into what the CEO & his management have been working towards the future of RIM and i would like to share with eveyone here in

BlackBerry 10 main priority, will shift focus to mobile
    Source: BlackBerry 10 main priority, will shift focus to mobile computing later: Thorsten Heins, RIM - Economic Times.
    10-07-12 11:54 PM
    And note the comments on the article. Only 5 but positive and pulling for RIM. RIM has that image in India. People like and trust BB here.
    Thanks for posting OP.
    10-08-12 03:58 AM
    We have devices, we have networks, we have a management system for these devices.
    The industry will move from mobile communication, where we are today, to mobile computing. This is not your mobile phone anymore (holding his phone), this is your mobile computing device.
    [...] I have the only global secure network connecting 630 carriers worldwide, securely and reliably. So all the data traffic that these mobile computing end points, and that could be smartphones, would have to exchange could run on BlackBerry network.
    We will continue to play in smartphone category but will lead in innovation in the mobile computing space. That's our future and that's where I am taking the company.
    We're still in 92% of Fortune 500 companies. That's the first thing.
    You have to be 'consumerish' - so you had to have table stakes in browsing, media, entertainment, gaming. But you also have to have an element that serves the purpose of being connected, being able to take immediate action and being secure.
    I have my own platform, my own patents. I can differentiate myself.
    Q: Top 3 priorities ? - A: BB10. BB10. BB10.
    The recipe we had, we took that recipe to market for too long. We got caught with that. Okay. Mistake made, understood. Solution , go to new platform, go to mobile computing , make sure the correction is set up in a way that this does not happen to us again.
    We will have to adapt BB 10 to Playbook (Blackberry tablet) and when that is ready, you'll have one platform across the smartphone and across the tablet-a single mobile computing platform.
    Dude, keep doing this and RIM will be Okay.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    10-08-12 04:20 AM
    such a good read. everytime I read Heins I'm inspired by his simple honesty. This man will bring BlackBerry back, question is will the consumer let him
    00stryder likes this.
    10-08-12 08:38 AM
    Originally Posted by T. Heins
    " I have the only global secure network connecting 630 carriers worldwide, securely and reliably."

Although the focus is on BB10, I believe this is where RIM's future lies. The network connection is the golden goose. If they open this up to others RIM will become the IBM of mobility.
    10-08-12 08:38 AM
    I've nearly lost all excitement waiting for BB10. In part because the Beta 3 showed off a lot of the UI. And also in part because BB10 is just the start of something more. RIM is at a position that it WILL change the world of mobile as we know it. BB10 is the platform a mere catalyst of what's to come.

Mobile computing!
    Heins keeps saying it
    As we leave the era of mobile communication we head onward into of new mobile computing paradigm BB is well placed to win over consumers and enterprisers. Beyond that the OS will allow us to be untethered yet completely connected. That is the true future. these companies live in the now, and RIM is trying to innovate throughout 2013 in order to regain its footing. BB10 will not save RIM. There eggs are NOT in one basket they will hold a user base of 80 million while they launch a new system to build atop their solid number.

Connecting to the mobile future we're headed too. That's the real ticket.

"All Playbooks that are out there today are all upgradable to BB 10. We will have to adapt BB 10 to Playbook (Blackberry tablet) and when that is ready, you'll have one platform across the smartphone and across the tablet-a single mobile computing platform. I want to have a value proposition on top of the hardware of the tablet that attracts people and makes them pay for services." Heins

"It's not only about having a product but having the right platform to grow the company profitably. That's why we took the hard way. Everybody advised me to embrace Android . I don't know how many emails I get saying 'why don't you put BlackBerry services on Android?' I am so happy I didn't . Look at the Android camp now. Frankly, this all goes back to Mike Lazaridis' innovation because he built a very successful architecture and platform. RIM is not just a smartphone provider. We have devices, we have networks, we have a management system for these devices. It's all part of BlackBerry solutions. If I provide BlackBerry solutions to my customer base, I can't cut my leg and come up with something that everybody else has. Then there would be no differentiation any more."

"I think the inflection point is really very obvious. Today, what are you going to do with these new devices? Everybody is using browsing and all these elements on it. The power that these devices have...think about this in the context of BlackBerry...across platforms device management. Take it to the next level. Think about cross platform mobile computing end point management. Think about machine to machine. Think about connected cars. Every time they need to communicate with each other, I can manage those end points. That's the first step.

Second, I have the only global secure network connecting 630 carriers worldwide, securely and reliably. So all the data traffic that these mobile computing end points, and that could be smartphones, would have to exchange could run on BlackBerry network. Third, after-services . I run specific BlackBerry services and applications . Fourth, I can build my own hardware if I choose so. So I'm not in one segment only. I offer the full solution from management to transport to security to device. I think the challenge will be to find the focus and not do everything. While others are struggling to find what next, we know what where we want to go. We will continue to play in smartphone category but will lead in innovation in the mobile computing space. That's our future and that's where I am taking the company.
    10-08-12 09:24 AM
    The innovation coming out of RIM over the following year is going to be astonishing....Not only this. We will have an entire platform and network functioning in real time.

Many people don't understand that gravity of the real time "nature" of the platform. It'll take many years for Apple to remove their silos in the UX and platform.
    10-08-12 11:10 AM
    Go RIM Go!
    10-08-12 11:41 AM
    I'm really curious to know the innovations concerning the NOC (RIM's network). Will QNX take center stage as they do with Cisco and their routers? Will we see QNX distributed networking? The marriage of the NOC and devices working in real time unison will be revolutionary. Can't wait to see what comes of this
    10-08-12 11:57 AM
    IMO QNX will market NOC for connected cars since security and relaibility is a major concern there and that is where RIM can shine. 90% of the cars manufactured in the next 5-7 years will be network connected to the manufacturer network where they have the capability to push notifications directly to the cars and/or the vechile may push updates/data to manufacturer servers based on which they may raise maintenance alerts if necessary. I feel RIM's NOC is their crown jewel. And It is just one use case ... home automation, health care and services are other potential targets for their NOC
    10-08-12 01:15 PM
    Jesus!!

The future for RIM look great!! I can imaging cars, home, hospital, store departments, all connected to one network and sharing information, secure and fast... I hope live to see that

Regards
    10-08-12 02:45 PM
    IMO QNX will market NOC for connected cars since security and relaibility is a major concern there and that is where RIM can shine. 90% of the cars manufactured in the next 5-7 years will be network connected to the manufacturer network where they have the capability to push notifications directly to the cars and/or the vechile may push updates/data to manufacturer servers based on which they may raise maintenance alerts if necessary. I feel RIM's NOC is their crown jewel. And It is just one use case ... home automation, health care and services are other potential targets for their NOC
    I want to see the network running in real time. What I imply by this is zero latency make it happen RIM!

Curious to know what RIM/QNX are working on with Cisco. By this I imply RIM's NOC if they are at all I should say
    10-08-12 03:01 PM
    Apple saved itself, not with what it was doing, their computers to this day sell OK, but if they had remained just a computer company I doubt we would think about them the way we do today. They survived and thrived because they found a way to tie entertainment first to the iPod then to the iPhones and iPads and revolutionized consumption in ways believed to be impossible in those days. Those devices are so important to the company users of their Mac Pro computers are complaining they have been overlooked and are way over due for an update - while the company gets ready to push what most think are a gazillion iPad mini's on the market.

These ideas about the next steps in mobile computing - that none of us have ever thought of but the guys in QNX can uniquely imagine and bring to market - that will be the next thing that 5-7 years from now, are so ubiquitous we wonder how we ever lived without it. This is the kind of transformation technology RIM and QNX can leverage to make themselves the next great story, even bigger than a successful launch of BB10. There were other mp3 players when the iPod was introduced, other cell phones when the iPhone was brought to market but Apple made us change the way we interacted with them.

What I cannot wait to understand is what is Thorstein hinting at when he makes these statements. What does he know that even we the faithful do not. I keep getting the impression that couched in these words is the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT, perhaps even bigger than BB10 in the end, at least I am hoping that's the case.
    10-08-12 05:47 PM
    According to Thorstens' comments, they know what they want to do, they can see their future, but aren't sure where to start. That may mean the starting point should have a enough impact on the market place to gain momentum for the rest to fall into place. If they begin with the auto industry and it doesn't get the desired effect, either because of adoption or competition then they may loose out on the rest. It will be interesting to see. Let the good times roll.
    10-08-12 06:11 PM
    Sorry missing_K-W...not really sure what is real-time functioning. Could you explain a bit (with examples may be?) Thanks!
    10-08-12 07:40 PM
    an excellent interview. Thanks so much for sharing that. Its great to get a look into thors mind and see the future of blackberry as he invisions it. And i have to admit, his vision makes a lot of intuitive sense. Be the guy behind all the other guys; go one step higher and provide a management platform for the exploding smartdevice sector by leveraging the monumental foothold you posses in the corporate world.

I think the key point for Rim is that they dont need to break into a new sector per se. They simple have to get their current customers to upgrade to the new service, and then that 92% corporate foothold allows them to build on new service and expand into other areas.
    10-08-12 07:42 PM
    Sorry missing_K-W...not really sure what is real-time functioning. Could you explain a bit (with examples may be?) Thanks!
    Real-time functioning = zero latency. Situation or state in the development of information technology infrastructure where no time is lost in exchange of information from one interface to another, or where the system responds instantly to an input of information.

An example would be using distributed processing ( 2 or more independent devices and the OS views the devices as one. Very vague description) Open an app on your phone and pic up your tablet and flick the screen and you're right where you left off. No wait time, no loading. All instant with zero latency. Not to be confused with iOS, Android etc sharing app resources over bluetooth. This is the "entire OS" sharing hard ware resources as a network with 2+ devices being "one" to the core

If you would like to know more about distributed processing. Google search -QNX distributed multiprocessing, QNXtransparent multi processing or QNX qNet. This last paragraph just opens us up to some SWEET possibilities of the platform. It is described in the NDK however would love to see some recent implementations
    10-08-12 08:13 PM
    The value proposition to business with BB10 is going to be huge. iOS and Android are cumbersome in my opinion. App switching, home button......HUGE time waster. An example would be a company deploying 1000 devices. If every time an employee uses a BB10 device and performs the same relative tasks as an iOS ,Android and Windows phone. However BB10 performs each task with a 5 second time savings do to peek and flow each time an employee uses their phone. Do this 60 times a day and multiply that by 1000 devices and multiply that over a year. Get the gist?

What I find humorous to myself, as well find as truthful. Is that the same bloggers and journalists who bash RIM will most likely embrace BB10 due to the incredible productivity of the devices. Ponder that as many eat crow next year
    10-08-12 08:29 PM
    I hope you are right about cars connected to RIM's NOC...I really do...but I fear that this won't happen till 2014 and will RIM run out of time...

If RIM charged 2 per mos (service fee) and had an installed base of 10 million, they would make 240MM over year in fees...good revenue, but not nearly enough to survive its current form.

Fingers crossed..
    10-08-12 09:32 PM
    Funny, a smart tech guy once told me that Cisco should by RIM...he said it was obvious these two firms had tons of synergies...looking to hear more..
    10-08-12 09:36 PM
    Imo Heins is the best thing to happen to RIM since BlackBerry
    DrBit2011 likes this.
    10-08-12 09:50 PM
    Real-time functioning = zero latency. Situation or state in the development of information technology infrastructure where no time is lost in exchange of information from one interface to another, or where the system responds instantly to an input of information.

An example would be using distributed processing ( 2 or more independent devices and the OS views the devices as one. Very vague description) Open an app on your phone and pic up your tablet and flick the screen and you're right where you left off. No wait time, no loading. All instant with zero latency. Not to be confused with iOS, Android etc sharing app resources over bluetooth. This is the "entire OS" sharing hard ware resources as a network with 2+ devices being "one" to the core
    What sort of transport layer would that use if it's not Bluetooth?
    10-10-12 09:16 PM
    What sort of transport layer would that use if it's not Bluetooth?
    i would like to know that also.

there is a lot of vague statement that sounds good in paper, until you start wondering.

What does he mean by "The industry will move from mobile communication, where we are today, to mobile computing. This is not your mobile phone anymore (holding his phone), this is your mobile computing device."

he never explained it. anyone care to elaborate on what he means?

below was supposed to be his example. anyone knows what he is talking about?

"Think about this from an enterprise perspective. I have my device on my hip, no desktop, no laptop and services are being played down from the cloud. The future is mobile computing; smart phones and tablets are just elements of it. The industry is on the verge of a whole new paradigm. It's fascinating and energizing. That's a decision we took 18 months ago to build a new platform. Our new BlackBerry 10 devices will not have a smartphone platform but a mobile computing platform. That's why we chose the hard way, build Blackberry ground-up . We wanted to innovate for the next 10 years."
    10-12-12 12:40 PM