Link:

RIM-Chef : "Das Blackberry wird eine substanzielle Rolle spielen" - Nachrichten Wirtschaft - DIE WELT

1st part of the translation (half way through I notices how long it actually is. I'll translate the rest after dinner )

"The BlackBerry will play a crucial role"

BlackBerry vendor Research in Motion (RIM) is rapidly loosing market; new
    devices will be presented at the end of January. RIM CEO Thorsten Heins
    about the possibly last chance for the Canadians.

Die Welt:
    Mr Heins, there's the iPhone, there is a plenthora of Android devices and
    there's Windows Phone. Who is still in need of a BlackBerry nowadays?

Heins:
    We have 80 million subscribers woldwide and we cannot let them strand in no
    man's land. They expact new products from us. And there are a lof of people
    wanting to manage their social networks fast and effectively. With our new
    BlackBerry 10 operating system that will be possible at a central place called
    BlackBerry Hub without opening the applications of those networks.

Welt:
    BlackBerry is said to be a working horse for the business world. Did you bet on
    the wrong horse with that?

Heins:
    That might still be the perception. However, it is by far not reality anymore.
    For example, in markets like Indonesia, South Afrika or even Great Britain the
    image of BlackBerry has little relation to the a manager tool. In those
    countries it's mainly about messanging. BBM is the communication platform per
    se in Indonesia.

Welt:
    Where is BlackBerry's destiny decided on? Rather in emerging markets like
    Indonesia or in developed regions like the US or Europe?

Heins:
    It'S mostly decided in countries with a high pace of innovation. Starting
    there, products get to other countries fast. The global market for mobile
    communication has become fast moving. You could even say that the world has
    become short-winded. Directly on that account, we will launch BlackBerry 10
    globally.

Welt:
    Do you think there is enough room for four ecosystems in the long term?

Heins:
    We are a relatively young branch of the industry. Thus, there's still a lot of
    room on the fast growing smartphone market. We will eventually see how many
    systems the market can carry. I believe that we will not only play some role
    with BlackBerry 10. I believe that our role will be crucial.

Welt:
    You lost one million BlackBerry users lately. Revenue even dropped by
    nearly 50 percent. How long can you endure this?

Heins:
    You have to set that in relation. Losing one million of 80 million users when
    offering a selection of devices that more than one year old, is not that bad.
    However, it not something to cheer for either. It's the right decition to enter
    the market with BlackBerry then because BlackBerry 10 is a true mobile
    computing platform. We will see that the trend towards BlackBerry will boost
    again.

Welt:
    Why did it take so long?

Heins:
    We took the time to build a platform that is future proof for the next ten
    years. For us, it's not only about smartphones, but also about the deployment
    in, e.g., cars that will be increasingly connected in the future. With
    BlackBerry 10 we see whole new areas of growth.

Welt:
    Isn't it time to make this platform available for other vendors like Microsoft
    is doing it with Windows?

Heins:
    Bevor licensing software you have to show that the platform has big
    potential. We have to fulfill our promises first. After we
    prove ourselfs, licensing is imaginable.

Welt:
    What do the network operators that will sell a big percentage of devices think
    of the new BlackBerrys?

Heins:
    We met over 100 network operators to show them BlackBery 10. The feedback was
    really good, they want alternatives to Android, Apple and the like.

Welt:
    What is more important: the selection of devices or the selection of apps
    available?

Heins:
    In my opinion it's mostly about the quality of the apps, not the quantity. For
    example, there are studies saying that of all Android applications just 50%
    were downloaded at least once. Of course you need a certain selection that
    corresponds to regional preference. The user experience is also a crucial
    factor. We took particular care with that.

Welt:
    The device itself does not play any role?

Heins:
    The hardware with its industrial design expresses personality and thus is
    certainly important. We don't have to hide with our current BlackBerrys and
    especially needn't do so with BlackBerry 10 either.

Welt:
    How many apps will you start with?

Heins:
    It will be roughly 70,000. Furthermore developers can also port their Android
    apps to BlackBerry pretty easily. [In German this also sounds like he is
    talking about 70,000 native BB10 apps]

Welt:
    Why should a developer develop for BlackBerry if he could earn much more mony
    on Apple?

Heins:
    BlackBerry is still a very profitable development platform. According to Vision
    Mobile, a BlackBerry developer makes an average 4% more money per app per month
    than on Apple and even 40% more than on Android. That is also related to our
    stong presence at business customers. A lot of downloads in BlackBerry Worls
    are paid, so developers earn money. Currently more than 60% of all developers
    recommend to develop for BlackBerry.

>>>>> Part 2 of the translation <<<<<<

Welt:
    The number of employees demanding the possibility to use their private
    smartphones for work grow. Research in Motion underestimated this trend.

Heins:
    That's exactly why we developed BlackBerry 10. This trend will even further
    grow. Therefore will will offer devices that address private users while
    simultaneously allowing for easy integration into the corporate world. And both
    worlds are strictly separated on a single device - thanks to BlackBerry Balance.

Welt:
    How does that work?

Heins:
    The new operating system can be devided into two separate parts that are even
    encrypted differently. There's no interexchange between those those areas.
    Users can then decide if they want to use the smartphone privately or for
    business. Opt for the corporate part and you will only have access to
    applications and data approved by your employer. Vice versa, an admin cannot
    access private data.

Welt:
    Your market share has declined constantly. Can you afford a failure with
    BlackBerry 10 at all?

Heins:
    Life certainly goes on in any case. But admittedly this is a realy deciding
    moment as well as milestone for Research in Motion.

Welt:
    You are CEO of Research in Motion of about a year now. What has changed?

Heins:
    Frankly speaking, a lot. We have a whole new management team. The company has
    become slimmer and thus we reduced costs. Today decisions are made more quickly
    and responsibilities have been reassigned. We are still in the middle of this
    process. We even increased our cash although many people predicted us burning
    money. We do not have any debt and have 2.9 billion dollars cash.

Welt:
    A while ago you said that you would consider all options for your company.

Heins:
    This is a strategic reviewing process that's still in progress although the
    pressure decreased due to our big amount of cash. We do not want to limit our
    options.

Welt:
    Which options are you talking about?

Heins:
    There are different one, including selling our hardware business or licensing
    our software. But there's no reseon for us to rush to a decision. First and
    foremost it is important to release BlackBerry 10 successfully. We take it from
    there.

Welt:
    More than ten years ago the first big patent infringement lawsuit in your
    industry took place. At its end Research in Motion had to pay 600 million
    dollars. Today, there are new lawsuits on a weekly basis. What went wrong?

Heins:
    I don't think this development is very beneficial. That hold for the industry
    as well as customers and innovation. I understand that intellectual property
    has to be protected. We want that as well. However, we should not get carries
    away and only protect whatever is actually important for innovation. I think
    it's questionable that rounded corners can gain that much of importance.

Welt:
    You are hinting at design disputes between Apple and Samsung.

Heins:
    Our industry should gather with the regulatory authorities as well as patent
    organisations and debate on how to reasonably approach this. It makes sense to
    protect ideas because companies invested in research.
    Last edited by sbndrf; 01-20-13 at 01:47 PM. Reason: finished translating the interview
    01-20-13 11:56 AM
    Heins knows his stuff. Great. Though the man interviewing him does not seem like he believes this is the New RIM.
    01-20-13 12:12 PM
    Through the translation it seems the interviewer is indeed harsh - but asking all the questions most would ask. Heins knows his stuff for sure... great responses.
    01-20-13 01:08 PM
    He should have gone on more about the hardware being improved. I would never hide my berry, but the internals could use an update
    01-20-13 01:16 PM
    I got impatient, haha. Here's the rest since chrome auto-translates...

World: More and more people expect their employers that they can use their personal devices for work. This trend Research In Motion has underestimated.

Heins: That's why we developed the BlackBerry 10th This development is in fact increase. We therefore come with devices that appeal to home users, but are also easy to be integrated into the corporate world and clearly separate both worlds thanks to BlackBerry balance each other - on a device.

World: How does it work?

Heins: The new operating system can be divided into two parts, which are even encrypted differently. There is no exchange between these areas. Users can then decide whether to use the smartphone for business or just. Select the business use, they only have access to the applications and data that allows you, the employer. Other way around, an administrator can not access the personal information.

World: Their market share has steadily declined recently. Can you imagine having 10 BlackBerry ever afford a failure?

Heins: Life goes on and on, of course. But it is so, that this is a crucial moment and milestone for Research In Motion.

World: You are now about one year at the helm of Research In Motion. What has changed?

Heins: Honestly a lot. We have an entirely new management team. The company has become leaner, which meant that we have reduced costs. Meanwhile, decisions are made ​​faster and responsibilities were redistributed. We are still in the middle of this process. We even increased the liquidity, although many of us have predicted that we would burn money. We are debt-free and have $ 2.9 billion cash available.

World: Recently you said that you wanted to consider all options for the company.

Heins: This strategic review is still running, even if the pressure due to our high cash has decreased. We do not want to limit our options.

World: What options do you mean?

Heins: There are several options, including the sale of the hardware production is as much as licensing our software. But there is no reason for us to decide in hectic. It is important first of all, BlackBerry 10 successfully putting them on the market. Then we shall see.

World: More than ten years, the first major dispute began to Patents in your industry at the end of Research In Motion paid more than $ 600 million. There are now almost weekly new processes. What has gone wrong?

Heins: I consider this development not very conducive. This applies both to the industry, and for the client and innovation. I understand that intellectual property must be protected. We want that, too. But you have to leave the church in the village and protect only what is truly important for innovation. I find it questionable that rounded corners can gain such importance.

World: You play on design dispute between Apple and Samsung at.

Heins: Our industry should be composed with the regulatory and patent authorities and consider how to approach the reasonable. It makes sense to protect ideas, because companies have invested in research.
    Last edited by SlcCorrado; 01-20-13 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Citation: http://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article112914284/Das-Blackberry-wird-eine-substanzielle-Rolle-spielen.html
    G-bone likes this.
    01-20-13 01:22 PM
    Enjoyable read...thanks.
    01-20-13 01:30 PM
    How popular are BB's in Germany? Maybe Thors influence can help. Germany is a huge market.
    jafrul likes this.
    01-20-13 01:53 PM
    That was a brutal interview I hope something was lost in translation because it was just blunt 2 sentence back and forths.
    01-20-13 01:57 PM
    That was a brutal interview I hope something was lost in translation because it was just blunt 2 sentence back and forths.
    It was quite brutal. That's just how they roll over there, haha. Straight to the point
    neteng1000 likes this.
    01-20-13 02:08 PM
    wow harsh interview, not a clue of optimism and sympathy there from the interviewer. Heins answered great and stayed cool. Best way to go.
    01-20-13 02:12 PM
    very "straight forward" qquestions. I bet Mike would've fallen into interviewer's trap.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    01-20-13 02:39 PM
    Harsh? perhaps, like others said.. lost in the translation/culture gap. Thor did well. He's not hiding and ready to take blows and keep batteling. Were not through this war yet so it good to see him in fit form!
    01-20-13 05:56 PM
    I'm interested in this big patent lawsuit that cost Rim $600 millions dollars. Can someone tell me what the patent lawsuit was about ?
    01-21-13 12:07 AM
    I'm interested in this big patent lawsuit that cost Rim $600 millions dollars. Can someone tell me what the patent lawsuit was about ?
    NTP Inc sued Research In Motion for patent infringement in 2002 and after a 4 year court battle, RIM settled for $600 million in 2006. Here is a link.

BlackBerry: Lawsuit and Patent Reform
    01-21-13 12:45 AM
    NTP Inc sued Research In Motion for patent infringement in 2002 and after a 4 year court battle, RIM settled for $600 million in 2006. Here is a link.

BlackBerry: Lawsuit and Patent Reform
    At the time NTP had ONE employee. They used that $$ to buy a few more patents & patent lawyers & then began suing / threatening everyone they could.

BTW love'd Hein's "rounded corners" coment
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-21-13 02:02 AM