Hi,
    I have a bb 9700 with a BIS.
    At home i have a wireless network with internet.
    I tryed to connect (wich it worked) but i am not able to connect even to a website.
    I also downloaded Bolt. Can't do anything.
    I am disabling the data plan and after that i am connecting to the wireless network.
    No acces.
    What am i doing wrong?
    Thanks
    03-07-10 01:49 AM
    Why are you disabling the data plan?
    03-07-10 01:57 AM
    Because i want to acces internet via Wi-fi, not via BIS.
    03-07-10 02:05 AM
    when i try to connect to the router:

Unable to connect
    Reason: Failed to obtain an IP adress

bla bla

what should i do?
    03-07-10 02:10 AM
    it sounds like your carrier does not provide, under the plan you have, access to the BIS infrastructure via WiFi.

Heres an article on it:

I think the OP's confusion stems from how Blackberry handles WiFi. The GSM/EDGE indicator will only change to UMA if your mobile operator supports it. In the US, only T-Mobile supports UMA at this time. I am unfamiliar with O2, so don't know if they supports UMA. If they do not, even when you have WiFi available, you will still always see GSM/EDGE displayed in the status bar, as this is what voice and most non-BES/BIS data will use. My suspicion is you only get the 'WiFi Preferred' option when your mobile operator supports UMA, which would suggest that O2 does not since you said you could not find it.

The indicator you want to check is the "WiFi" logo next to the GSM/EDGE indicator. If it is in solid black and white, then your BES/BIS data (meaning E-mail, calendar sync, PIN-to-PIN communications, etc. -- anything that gets routed through the Blackberry server infrastructure) is going over WiFi. If the WiFi indicator is ghosted (e.g., slightly gray) or outright missing (because you turned off WiFi) then your BES/BIS data is going over the cellular network.

The Blackberry attempts to access the BES/BIS infrastructure in the following order of preference:

1) (Only applies for BES, not BIS.) If the Blackberry is connected via USB to a PC running BB Device Manager, and that PC has connectivity to your organization's BES Router (e.g., an office computer, or a laptop VPN'd into your office), then BB Device Manager will proxy a connection for the Blackberry to the BES Router on port 4101/TCP. (This applies to all Blackberries, even ones without WiFi. In this case, the WiFi indicator logo is meaningless, as the Blackberry is using the USB connection to the PC to route BES data.)
    2) (Only applies for BES, not BIS.) If the Blackberry is connected to a WiFi network, and is able to directly open a connection to your organization's BES Router on 4101/TCP, it will talk directly to your BES router. Note that while this typically applies to WiFi networks operated within an organization's office, this can work also on external WiFi networks if your BES administrator has used IT Policy to push VPN connection properties down to your WiFi-enabled Blackberry.
    3) (Applies to both BES and BIS.) If the Blackberry is connected to a WiFi network, and can open an SSL session on 443/TCP to a server farm hosted by RIM, it will use the SSL session for BES/BIS connectivity. (Typically rcp.us.blackberry.com, rcp.eu.blackberry.com, rcp.ap.blackberry.com, etc., depending on your major geographical region.)
    4) (Applies to both BES and BIS.) If the Blackberry is connected to a WiFi network and has established a UMA session to your mobile operator (assuming yours supports UMA), it will route data to the Blackberry server farm via your mobile carrier's APN.
    5) (Applies to both BES and BIS.) Fall back to the cellular network. (In which case, the WiFi indicator logo will be ghosted.)

Again, this applies to BES/BIS data. For other data, the use of WiFi varies. With the native browser, you can select which browser mode to use. "WiFi Browser" does direct connections from the Blackberry over WiFi. The other browser modes will only route web traffic
    over WiFi if you carrier supports UMA. For all other data (e.g., 3rd party apps, IM programs, etc.) the use of WiFi for data at this time again primarily relies on your mobile operator supporting UMA. The Blackberry API has been extended to allow apps to request a direct WiFi connection, but few third party apps have been updated to take advantage of the new APIs at this time.
    03-07-10 02:13 AM
    Call your service provider and see if Wifi is covered on BIS.
    03-07-10 02:15 AM
    i've read the article.
    still, i can't connect to the wireless network. see the above message.
    03-07-10 02:30 AM
    Well, i made it work.
    I enabled the data services and the icon for Wi-Fi turned white not ghosted.

The question is: if i connect trough Wi-fi, i am consuming kb from my BIS data plan, or i am using the free internet that i have at home?
    Thanks
    03-07-10 02:40 AM
    Well, i made it work.
    I enabled the data services and the icon for Wi-Fi turned white not ghosted.

The question is: if i connect trough Wi-fi, i am consuming kb from my BIS data plan, or i am using the free internet that i have at home?
    Thanks
    if its white, you are using wifi and have access to BB data. if its grey, you have wifi but do not have BB data active.
    03-07-10 03:08 AM
    if its white, you are using wifi and have access to BB data. if its grey, you have wifi but do not have BB data active.
    i have a BIS data plan with 5MB included. when i am connecting via wi-fi, i am consuming from those 5MB?
    03-07-10 03:24 AM
    i have a BIS data plan with 5MB included. when i am connecting via wi-fi, i am consuming from those 5MB?
    shouldnt be. you should be strictly on wifi.
    03-07-10 04:46 AM
    shouldnt be. you should be strictly on wifi.
    can you please tell me, what can i do with wifi on my phone? i know that BB is very restrictive about data.
    Thanks
    03-07-10 05:06 AM
    can you please tell me, what can i do with wifi on my phone? i know that BB is very restrictive about data.
    Thanks
    supposed to be able to browse at wifi speeds and if your carrier supports it, UMA.

what do you mean the BB is restictive on data? its only restrictive if you dont have a BB data plan enabled. having wifi allows you to browse over a wifi network instead of over your carrier network. if you only have an EDGE connection, wifi allows for simultaneous voice and data whereas this could only be achieved on 3G.
    03-07-10 05:43 AM
    Go to Options, Mobile Network, Connection Preference and change it to "Wifi Preferred". I think once you do that, once you're connected to wifi you'll be using the wifi for sure vs using your allotted MBs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-10 07:28 AM
    i knew that only trough BIS you can have internet on the phone. i don't know where i've heard that you can't connect trough internet via wireless network because of the restrictions of BB. it seems it's not true.
    03-07-10 08:59 AM
    Go to Options, Mobile Network, Connection Preference and change it to "Wifi Preferred". I think once you do that, once you're connected to wifi you'll be using the wifi for sure vs using your allotted MBs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    i can't find the connection preference :-?
    03-07-10 09:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD