I'm in the US, an Android phone user, and on a t-mobile pay as you go plan with unlimited text and talk.

I have a friend I want to text in Canada that is on a BB Bold 9700, I'm not sure of their carrier though. All I know is that they don't have international text.

My friend does not have a data plan, but WiFi is free isn't it?

Is there any way for us to send and receive text messages without international charges?
    If not, are there any good IM apps that we can both use?

Or, is my best bet to convince them to add another 5 or 10 dollars or however much it costs for international text and talk?
    04-25-11 10:46 PM
    if your friend has wifi & you have data then pretty much any instant messenger like yahoo, gtalk,msn & aol works great
    04-25-11 11:01 PM
    I'm in the US, an Android phone user, and on a t-mobile pay as you go plan with unlimited text and talk.

I have a friend I want to text in Canada that is on a BB Bold 9700, I'm not sure of their carrier though. All I know is that they don't have international text.

My friend does not have a data plan, but WiFi is free isn't it?

Is there any way for us to send and receive text messages without international charges?
    If not, are there any good IM apps that we can both use?

Or, is my best bet to convince them to add another 5 or 10 dollars or however much it costs for international text and talk?

In Canada International Txt and Talk is much more than $10 more.
    Your friend will need to get a dataplan and get an IM client, they probably don't have a Dataplan because many Carriers offer BBM for Free even for those without a dataplan, so it gives many Blackberry users no need for a dataplan since they just want to txt.

Find out what carrier they are on, and we can better direct you to their best solution, or have them come here.
    04-26-11 06:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD