I just phoned T-Mobile UK to check what it would cost me to use my BlackBerry when in Holland and the call charges seem normal but this is the first Data plan I've ever had on a phone and I was shocked when told the charge for international data: �7.50 per Mb (USD $15), I'm currently paying �7.50 per month for UNLIMITED data so how can �7.50 per Meg be justified?

Is there any kind of discount available on T-Mo UK for data? Or is there any way to absolutely CUT OFF my data when abroad? I don't want any unexpected charges!

Thanks in advance.
    ADLEN
    02-12-08 07:33 AM
    You will be please to hear that the EU regulator has told the mobile phone companies that they must cut text and roaming charges when abroad. This was in my paper (Daily Mail) today and T Mobile will be announcing new prices in the next few weeks. Just don't expect a drastic overnight cut!!

There is a way to turn data off, I think but am not 100% sure that you just turn the wireless off and text and calls still work.
    02-12-08 01:55 PM
    If you go to Options/Settings and then Mobile Networks...
    Turn of Data Services
    02-12-08 03:01 PM
    Depends on your phone, on 83XX you can turn data off via you "manage connection" menu.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-08 03:03 PM
    Whooo! cheap(er) data. I won't be able to leave my BlackBerry when abroad but I can't afford to use it!
    02-12-08 03:10 PM
    Depends on your phone, on 83XX you can turn data off via you "manage connection" menu.

That turns off calls and texts too on the 8800. I need some sort of communication when I'm in Holland.
    02-12-08 03:12 PM
    SLVR6 is right. If you go to manage connections, then mobile network options, you can choose to turn off data services.
    02-12-08 03:44 PM
    Brilliant, thanks all! I'd rather not turn it off but I guess I have to to avoid my bill looking like my phone number...

02-12-08 05:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD