http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...aletleft_email

The WSJ goes through an interesting history of RIM's decline over the past few years. This article provides some insights into the co-CEO dynamic--and how it failed.

There's some interesting tidbits in the article that may (or may not) have been public knowledge. Like Balsillie open platform initiatives right before he left.
    Last edited by sashas; 06-28-12 at 12:36 PM.
    06-28-12 11:52 AM
    No sheet sherlock. The missteps have been known for ages now. Must not be anything else to trash on today until after the call.
    menaknow, Pete6 and sf49ers like this.
    06-28-12 11:57 AM
    What about pasting the whole article here? Not everybody has a WSJ subscription. Thanks.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    06-28-12 12:25 PM
    Just updated the link. The whole article should be visible...
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-28-12 12:36 PM
    It's interesting that they actually had licensing deals in place for the network. I didn't realize that.
    06-28-12 12:53 PM
    RIM has told its bankers it is focused on that [BB10] rollout, said a person familiar with the matter. If the phone is a hit, the company will recover some of its lost value, and the new technology will be a boon to any possible sale or partnership in the future, this person said.
    Which is exactly why I don't believe any of the current sale rumors. If they get an attractive product in place and effectively cut costs, the company is automatically worth double what the stock market has it at now.

The big hitch? BB10 is bad/buggy/insecure, in which case what's left of the company implodes. There's always that chance, but I don't believe it.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    06-28-12 01:59 PM
    Which is exactly why I don't believe any of the current sale rumors. If they get an attractive product in place and effectively cut costs, the company is automatically worth double what the stock market has it at now.

The big hitch? BB10 is bad/buggy/insecure, in which case what's left of the company implodes. There's always that chance, but I don't believe it.
    Attractive is such a relative term.

There is a possibility that BB10 is great and doesn't catch on. Not saying it will happen, but it is possible.

If a tree falls in the middle of a forest, and no one is around to hear it....
    06-28-12 02:21 PM
    Attractive is such a relative term.

There is a possibility that BB10 is great and doesn't catch on. Not saying it will happen, but it is possible.

If a tree falls in the middle of a forest, and no one is around to hear it....
    If BB10 launches, and it isn't fatally flawed, that's enough to build the stock value of the company. It doesn't have to be earth-shattering, it doesn't have to suddenly pick up 10% market share. It just has to work.

Right now the analysts and general nay-sayers see RIM as still being the company it's been the past few years. Some of us see them as having changed fundamentally, and now being in a better position to actually succeed. But they're going to have to prove it.
    06-28-12 02:30 PM
    It's interesting that they actually had licensing deals in place for the network. I didn't realize that.
    That is part of the reason he left, no one was onboard with his idea so he got frustrated.
    06-28-12 06:12 PM
    ISome of us see them as having changed fundamentally, and now being in a better position to actually succeed.
    And some people still believe the world is flat.
    06-28-12 09:57 PM
    someone will make a very good, bestselling book on rim.. a la barbarians at the gate
    06-28-12 09:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD