What is interesting is the fact the Windows Phone has far less users that BB and the classic excuse dev use when aske dwhy no app for BB is the lack of users. . .I would at least hope devs would be more honest and say they simple don't see a future in the platform (how folks see a bigger future with WP vs. BB is beyond me . .. ) . ..

Netflix: Offer Support for RIM Blackberry Devices
    http://www.change.org/petitions/netf...medium=twitter
    Hulu: Allow a Hulu Plus app for BlackBerry Playbook and BB10
    http://www.change.org/petitions/hulu...medium=twitter
    and . . .
    Pandora�: Bring App Support to the Blackberry 10 Platform:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/pand...medium=twitter
    you can also visit this thread if your interested in contacting other devs for the apps you want . . .http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...m-know-756442/
    12-18-12 11:16 AM
    What is interesting is the fact the Windows Phone has far less users that BB and the classic excuse dev use when aske dwhy no app for BB is the lack of users. . .I would at least hope devs would be more honest and say they simple don't see a future in the platform (how folks see a bigger future with WP vs. BB is beyond me . .. ) . ..
    ]
    Not really. BB 10 DOESN'T have any users. And you can't compare current BB users with WP users.
    Many, if not most of the current BB users aren't what you'd consider smartphone customers, but feature phone customers.
    There's no guarantee the current bb users will transfer to BB10. BB and BB10 aren't compatible, so in a way it's a fresh start with no users.

And WP on the other hand has Microsoft behind it, it has Nokia behind it and its closely tied into Windows 8.

In other words, if you're a developer with only the resources to support one new platform, it doesn't take many behind the envelope calculations to decide to go for WP support over BB.

(Personally I don't think that there's room for neither BB or WP in the market, but lets revisit that in a year or so. RIM will probably keep selling cheap smartphones to developing countries for a few years, but there's not much developer dough to be made there, so....)
    bbwalkers likes this.
    12-18-12 01:06 PM
    Don't believe everything you think...
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-18-12 03:21 PM
    I saw that there are already 117 000 apps already from @BlackBerryScoop who supposedly works with RIM.
    12-18-12 04:49 PM
    Many, if not most of the current BB users aren't what you'd consider smartphone customers, but feature phone customers.
    BlackBerry was a smartphone before anyone knew what a smartphone was, they invented the smartphone market. Now to call US feature phone users. Yeah ok. Please do tell me what makes your android or iphone anymore of a smartphone then my 9900, they all do the exact same thing, make phone calls, run apps, fetch email, and allow access to the web. I've seen quite a few low end android's I would consider a feature phone, long before I called a BB a feature phone.

Personally I don't think that there's room for neither BB or WP in the market
    So your happy with only having 2 choices, android and iphone? McD's and Burger king is enough fast food for you(since they are probably the tops in the fast food market)? You don't like wendys or taco bell, or arbys, or sonic or Kentucky fried chicken, or pizza hut, or so on and so on........

You have a very warped sense of reality.
    12-18-12 08:05 PM
    Interesting theory but I don't think that's the case. I think it's more of WebOS return on investment scenario.
    I'll explain, Devs built apps for WebOS like Skype, Angry Birds, etc. and it failed, not failed but HP gave up. I guess it's better to for Devs to take the wait and see approach.

You hear all the time that it's easy to develop for BB10 and the big names can create the needed apps quickly if they haven't already. Not coming up and supporting on Day 1 will be bring backlash but I'm pretty sure once they see the potential they will come on board.
    12-18-12 08:15 PM
    Its very interesting and maybe microsoft is giving the nail for 3rd because they supposedly give devs 600,000 (bribe maybe?)

Sent from my Nintendo NES
    12-18-12 08:25 PM
    No. It's simple, many of the big devs are playing the "watch and wait" game.
    In the case of Whatsapp, why would Apple blackmail them to stop them from being on ONE additional platform?
    It's already available on Android, Nokia, Symbian, BBOS and Windows phone.

Some people around here are really starting to let the Apple hate impair even their most basic cognitive functions.
    This is the reality of the situation. No conspiracy. Devs don't want to invest resources in something that could potentially fall flat on its face. Do I think RIM has a good shot. I sure do.

However it is do or die for RIM so its makes sense for devs to take a wait and see approach. There are also those who like what they see so far,have faith and therefore all in.

Its Rims field of dreams...If they build it..they will come. If BlackBerry10 does well we can expect to see the apps that weren't there at launch to start showing up one by one.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    12-18-12 08:46 PM

Netflix: Offer Support for RIM Blackberry Devices
    http://www.change.org/petitions/netf...medium=twitter
    Hulu: Allow a Hulu Plus app for BlackBerry Playbook and BB10
    http://www.change.org/petitions/hulu...medium=twitter
    and . . .
    Pandora�: Bring App Support to the Blackberry 10 Platform:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/pand...medium=twitter
    you can also visit this thread if your interested in contacting other devs for the apps you want . . .http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...m-know-756442/
    They see a future with MS because WP8 can fail and the money will be there for WP9-10-11 etc.

BlackBerry10 on the other hand, well let's just say if 10 fails in all likelihood there will be no 11.

MS has the cash to stay relevant even it they aren't relevant lol they can try try try again. RIM cannot. Its do or die.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    12-18-12 08:49 PM
    It's a possible explanation of what's going on, but it's also possible that Apple succeeds in their evil plan to thwart BB10, and then they achieve world domination, then after a few decades of Apple tyranny some people steal Apple's best technology and travel back in time to give it to RIM, which means that now RIM has advanced technology in BB10 that will make it such a superior product it will crush everything else on the market, which means that Apple dies and nobody comes back in time to give RIM the advanced technology, which means that Apple achieves world domination, which means... Okay, I may have gone overboard, but I think RIM's advanced technology from the future beats Apple's threats.
    12-18-12 08:51 PM
    Desperate time calls desperate measures

Is apple giving developers the nail?

Like a blackmail, you support bb10, and we no longer support you.

You guys think that's possible?

12-18-12 09:19 PM
    Short answer, no! Long answer, not at all!

Apple doesn't need to put pressure on. They are the market leader. If you're going to make an app, you're going to start with iOS. They know that. You're also not going to ignore Android, even though it may cost you in having to code your app for a completely different platform. You're also not going to ignore Microsoft (regardless of their client base) since with most of the world using Microsoft products on their PC's, it's never safe to bet against them. RIM you can bet against. They just do phones (unless you're one who has heard of the PlayBook) and public perception is that they are a dead OS. Even with BB10 coming out, the consumer swing is against them. Coding for old ecosystem's is one thing, coding for something totally brand new is another. They never coded for Playbook's QNX which tells me they don't intend betting on a new OS against the old ones.
    12-18-12 11:12 PM
    Why would they support it? Seriously?

It's a brand new platform with 50/50 chances of succeeding (or slightly worse, in reality).
    Why on earth would you go out and make a serious investment in money and time (which is even more money) when you don't know
    A: Whether it'll succeed at all.
    B: If it succeeds, will it only be in Nigeria and Indonesia, and not in the markets that are interesting for developers.
    C: if there will be serious bugs/technical issues.

On top of all of that you can add a shrug and "Meh, I guess they can just use the Android App player. If I make an Android app I'm covered both ways.

What any smart developer will do, is keep the playing field in mind, as well as the fact that its a 1.0 product and wait six months or a year and see how it's doing.

In tech circles, among developers, media and bloggers RIM is considered pretty much dead by the side of the road already, so making the decision to go out and develop for it takes a lot of persuasion and consideration...
    If you say Devs aren't interested in making inroads to chat-based app in indonesia and nigeria, you're probably just being selectively biased (based on your posts in other threads) about how FaceBook just very recently changed their strategy to allow facebook messaging without signing up for a facebook account; activated in India, Indonesia, etc (predominantly BBM market) for costs of lower than 30cents USD per week.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    12-18-12 11:34 PM
    Windows Phone has FAR more users than the Playbook...and naturally more users than BB10 (because it hasn't been released )

There are more users with BBOS devices than WP, but nobody wants to develop for a dying OS that even the parent company isn't showing much love.
    12-19-12 02:44 AM
    Windows Phone has FAR more users than the Playbook...and naturally more users than BB10 (because it hasn't been released )

There are more users with BBOS devices than WP, but nobody wants to develop for a dying OS that even the parent company isn't showing much love.
    I think your post is pure troll, sorry to say pal. You're comparing a Phone OS to a tablet OS? and we aren't talking about bbos, we are talking about bb10.

It is receiving love so please, some facts would be awesome.

12-19-12 11:13 PM
    I think your post is pure troll, sorry to say pal. You're comparing a Phone OS to a tablet OS? and we aren't talking about bbos, we are talking about bb10.

Don't feed the troll asking him to share facts....
    12-20-12 01:23 AM

pb os and bb10 are essentially the same thing so it's a valid comparison. you cannot say that a dev should develop for blackberry because it has 80 million users when all 80 are on bbos and 0 on bb10. but you can assume that whatsapp developed for playbook would work on bb10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-20-12 02:15 AM
    No. It's simple, many of the big devs are playing the "watch and wait" game.
    In the case of Whatsapp, why would Apple blackmail them to stop them from being on ONE additional platform?
    It's already available on Android, Nokia, Symbian, BBOS and Windows phone.

Some people around here are really starting to let the Apple hate impair even their most basic cognitive functions.
    i agree, i think all the big devs are gonna be waiting to see the response and demand from the public. If bb10 gets huge momentum then there gonna jump aboard the bb10 wagon. until then there just gonna wait it out
    12-20-12 03:11 AM
    pb os and bb10 are essentially the same thing so it's a valid comparison. you cannot say that a dev should develop for blackberry because it has 80 million users when all 80 are on bbos and 0 on bb10. but you can assume that whatsapp developed for playbook would work on bb10.

Essentially, yes but I still feel it was a tablet comparison and everyone doesn't need a tablet and use one.

People need a phone and even if the os is the same, it will have many more users than there are on the PlayBook.

12-20-12 03:24 AM
    No. Apple is not worried enough about RIM to even try that type of thing. Not yet. If BB10 is a runaway hit, things might change. But even then it would be some sort of "exclusively develop for iOS" program. Not cash behind the scenes. It would be public. You'd not need to guess.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-20-12 03:39 AM
    Why would Whatsapp lose business by not releasing a BB10 version is beyond me..

12-20-12 05:02 AM
    I can't see that happening maybe indirectly by making their OS not play well with others.
    12-20-12 10:32 AM
    Is apple giving developers the nail?

Like a blackmail, you support bb10, and we no longer support you.

You guys think that's possible?

Unlikely, only because if it was revealed as such Apple would be in a world of trouble.
    It probably has more to do with tepidness to embrace the platform until they feel the "consumer gives a green light".

That or laziness.
    12-20-12 10:39 AM
    Interestingly the converted android app DOES work on the Dev Alpha, so worstcase we will be able to sideload that. Now why they don't just convert it officially it a mystery.
    12-20-12 10:51 AM
    Interestingly the converted android app DOES work on the Dev Alpha, so worstcase we will be able to sideload that. Now why they don't just convert it officially it a mystery.
    Oh really?! Looking forward to that!

12-20-12 11:27 AM
80 1234