... more like a Verizon rant ..

Is the BlackBerry Storm doomed for lack of Wi-Fi? |Ahead of the Curve | Tom Yager | InfoWorld

"It's awfully handsome, it's got GUI frosting, and it costs only $199. Nice. But if RIM drained one iota of BlackBerry-ness out of the Storm, the product would be DOA. You can't copy it, you can't kill it, and no matter how hard reviewers stress the lack of Wi-Fi, a BlackBerry without Wi-Fi is like an iPhone 3G without Java or a Wii without a Blu-ray drive."
    11-29-08 04:54 PM
    I dont even understand that quote.
    Wii's dont have a bluray drive for one thing, so how can that be written next to "iPhone 3G without Java"?
    11-29-08 06:49 PM
    This should probably be moved into the Storm Forum, but I'll chime in anyway while I'm here.

The reason WHY the Storm has no wi-fi is because of the decision of the carrier to specificly request it's non-inclusion. It's not that RIM engineers made an "oopsie" in forgetting to add it in there, but rather (for people like us here in the states), good 'ol VZW would rather FORCE you to pay them money to line their greedy pockets with, than God Forbid - have access to a faster, and even possibly FREE connection to the web.

Just like they disabled the Storms built-in GPS, so you have to pay for the VZ-navigator service now.

So is the lack of wi-fi (among other things) a deal breaker for the Storm?
    Personally, I can certainly see that for a lot of people, Yes.

But I think also that the blame for this rests solely with carriers like Verizon - not the device manufacturer.

Even though Apple couldn't have picked a worse carrier for service and call reliability, they went with AT&T because they were the only carrier that said "we won't attempt to constraign or hobble your phone in any way".

Maybe someday the people and the device manufacturers will tell the other carrier dealers to do the same. Because, it's getting really sickening.

But yeah, no wi-fi kinda stinks, because although it might not be important for some - for others it very well could be.
    Anyhoo, end rant.
    11-29-08 07:25 PM
    Doesn't the quote mean WiFi is unnecessary? I don't THINK the iPhone is J2ME and i KNOW the Wii doesn't have a bluray drive.
    11-29-08 07:37 PM
    Just like they disabled the Storms built-in GPS, so you have to pay for the VZ-navigator service now.
    My understanding is that this is the first BB that doesn't have the GPS disabled.
    11-30-08 04:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD