Hampus Jakobsson: "The Future of Screens" - YouTube

During his talk he mentioned 'apple turned the cell phone on its head'.

They really did. In the news its mentioned that RIM was one of the companies to invent the smart phone but I can't help but think its actually Apple that did. I also think most of the time its not the inventors that end up perfecting the invention.
    fdust likes this.
    06-02-12 04:07 AM
    Apple didn't invent the smartphone and they didn't perfect it either

So far, they can put together a desirable package...reliability, aesthetics, and technology
    morganplus8 likes this.
    06-02-12 07:26 AM
    Apple mastered the app store idea. RIM and/or Palm invented the smartphone (I'm not up on the exact history), and I'd argue that no one has perfected the smartphone yet.

There is absolutely no Argument that I will accept that says Apple invented the smartphone!
    Barljo likes this.
    06-02-12 07:39 AM
    I just remember that RIM had a Blackberry Smart phone when apple still tried to build phones with Motorola.
    06-02-12 07:55 AM
    Apple mastered the app store idea. RIM and/or Palm invented the smartphone (I'm not up on the exact history), and I'd argue that no one has perfected the smartphone yet.

There is absolutely no Argument that I will accept that says Apple invented the smartphone!
    Agree with this, there is no perfect smartphone to date. Every platform is a compromise. Maybe BB10 will be the first, however I think the biggest step will be when apps can be coded in one language for all platforms.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    06-02-12 08:12 AM

Correct because an iPhone is still not a good phone its an app runner.
    06-02-12 09:50 AM

Nokia I believe is generally accepted to have introduced the first true smartphone. RIM was the one to bring smartphones to a large market and define their potential. Apple brought it out of the corporate world to the consumer expanded as a pocket computer. Google made the pocket computer a commodity item.

If you look at the progression, all fall in line with the typical m.o. of each company.
    Last edited by TGR1; 06-02-12 at 09:59 AM.
    06-02-12 09:56 AM
    RIM and/or Palm invented the smartphone (I'm not up on the exact history)
    In 1997 the term 'smartphone' was used for the first time when Ericsson unveiled the concept phone GS88, the first device labelled as 'smartphone'. The first smartphone was the IBM Simon; it was designed in 1992 and shown as a concept product

IBM invented the first Smartphone then Palm and Blackberry go on the Smartphone wagon and Blackberry carried it on.

Then Apple came along and for the masses it revolutionized the smartphone and now feature phones are on their way out and smartphones will become the majority although it did annoy me when I read someone talking about Blackberry and saying

"Here is my review and it is free. RIM, your days are numbered. Give it up. The Smartphone is the way of the future, and you were left behind while resting on your laurels"

This is why we have bashing against RIM they were one of the first adopters of the Smartphone there are too many uninformed ignorant people around where RIM is concerned I can only hope BB10 shuts them all up and Blackberry/RIM can get back to doing what it does best by making the Blackberry that people love.
    06-02-12 11:36 AM
    Jobs got LUCKY with the eyefone.
    06-02-12 11:41 AM
    Hampus Jakobsson: "The Future of Screens" - YouTube

During his talk he mentioned 'apple turned the cell phone on its head'.

They really did. In the news its mentioned that RIM was one of the companies to invent the smart phone but I can't help but think its actually Apple that did. I also think most of the time its not the inventors that end up perfecting the invention.
    Actually Handspring/Palm invented the smartphone, RIM made the smartphone popular and made it about communications and not just PIM functionality, and Apple changed what people expected from a smartphone with a touchscreen and apps (and Job's didn't want apps at first).
    06-02-12 11:43 AM
    Actually Handspring/Palm invented the smartphone, RIM made the smartphone popular and made it about communications and not just PIM functionality, and Apple changed what people expected from a smartphone with a touchscreen and apps (and Job's didn't want apps at first).
    Gene Roddenberry invented the smartphone and bluetooth.
    Barljo likes this.
    06-02-12 11:47 AM
    Definitely feel who invents the idea is more important than perfecting. The inventor of something comes up with the initial brilliant idea, refining it is far simpler imo, just building upon already laid foundations. That's not to say the refinement isn't brilliant.
    As an illustration I might use the lightbulb - the initial idea of the filament for providing light is more important than the refinement to make it practical/better. But I may be alone in thinking that.
    06-02-12 12:00 PM
    In 1997 the term 'smartphone' was used for the first time when Ericsson unveiled the concept phone GS88, the first device labelled as 'smartphone'. The first smartphone was the IBM Simon; it was designed in 1992 and shown as a concept product .
    I thought the Nokia Communicator was the first but looks as if you are correct. So this is the 20th anniversary of the smartphone. Happy birthday!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-02-12 02:21 PM
    Definitely feel who invents the idea is more important than perfecting. The inventor of something comes up with the initial brilliant idea, refining it is far simpler imo, just building upon already laid foundations. That's not to say the refinement isn't brilliant.
    As an illustration I might use the lightbulb - the initial idea of the filament for providing light is more important than the refinement to make it practical/better. But I may be alone in thinking that.
    Uk-uk may have pounded out the first wheel from rock but I would much rather deal with changing one from Firestone. OTOH, maybe I wouldn't get a flat in the first place.

It's pointless to say the inventor is more important than the developer. Obviously without the initial idea there isn't a product but difficulties developing a working, commercially viable, and/or safe and effective product can just as easily mean there won't be a product either.
    06-02-12 02:31 PM
    I'm going to chime in about what Hampus Jakobsson mentioned about gestures. I do think that there is a need for universal gesture language as mentioned by David from appcubby at the iMore podcast. I think the first company who gets it right, will be the one who sets that language. Just like how apple set "pinch to zoom" as the standard for zooming. Steve jobs demoed it on stage, shows how easy it is. People showed their friends and the rest was history. People demanded that, and it became a standard. I'm not sure whether apple invented that, they sure did popularise it.

TAT seems to be a company that understands human interface, seems. So, perhaps RIM has a real chance of defining that language. Provided that BB10 is great, and achieves commercial success.
    06-02-12 03:05 PM
    Uk-uk may have pounded out the first wheel from rock but I would much rather deal with changing one from Firestone. OTOH, maybe I wouldn't get a flat in the first place.

It's pointless to say the inventor is more important than the developer. Obviously without the initial idea there isn't a product but difficulties developing a working, commercially viable, and/or safe and effective product can just as easily mean there won't be a product either.
    I suppose the question is whether the refinement is so drastic it's basically a new invention.
    06-02-12 05:19 PM
    I'm going to chime in about what Hampus Jakobsson mentioned about gestures. I do think that there is a need for universal gesture language as mentioned by David from appcubby at the iMore podcast. I think the first company who gets it right, will be the one who sets that language. Just like how apple set "pinch to zoom" as the standard for zooming. Steve jobs demoed it on stage, shows how easy it is. People showed their friends and the rest was history. People demanded that, and it became a standard. I'm not sure whether apple invented that, they sure did popularise it.

TAT seems to be a company that understands human interface, seems. So, perhaps RIM has a real chance of defining that language. Provided that BB10 is great, and achieves commercial success.
    webOS's card metaphor with flicking up to kill a program is perfect for dealing with multitasking programs. I'm glad RIM adopted it for the Playbook and extended it with side swipes to switch between programs when displayed full screen.

MeeGo's three main screens idea is great. It keeps things simple and quick. RIM appears to be adopting this as well, but again, extended it with the peek, "flow", functionality.

RIM's developers are definitely looking at good gesture interfaces and adopting the best and furthering it.

As for pinch-to-zoom, I saw it years before the iPhone at SIGGRAPH, the computer graphics industry convention. It was actually for a wall-sized interface. You used your hands to pinch-to-zoom, rotate images, and flick them away. You could also hold objects in front of the screen and have the system take a snapshot so it would become an image on the wall that you could manipulate.
    06-03-12 06:58 AM
    Apple's smartphone is always best in features and innovative applications for sure. There are variety of smartphones are available in market but apple leads top now a days only because of its uniqueness and better performance.
    10-10-12 06:36 AM
    ^^to the user above..

kekekekeke did you just create an account so u can post this useless garbage?

i agree it USED to be different and IT USED to be good.. but now it;s just stale and ridiculous!!

why would i want all my devices to look and feel the exact same way for the last 6 years!? what DRIVES me to go buy an ipad if i have an iphone that looks the SAME!?!?! does the SAME?!?!?! and has the SAME APPS?!

get off your apple high horse and take a look around.. there are soo many better devices out there!
    stackberry369 likes this.
    10-10-12 10:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD