As others have said you can't compare Blackberries to Apples.

If someone in my company loses a Blackberry I can kill it and wipe it
    from my desk. (can you do that with an Iphone) I used to work in the
    computer forensics field and believe me without the password there is
    no way into a Berry. The BB was always designed as a secure device
    thats why the US Govt. uses them, CIA etc.

The difference now is that the kids are buying them, not for email,
    not as a phone but for Blackberry messenger

which they can chat to each other on endlessly and they do. texting in
    the US is not cheap. I have 3 kids, they hated my Berry until the
    curve came out with the camera and messenger and facebook. Now they
    would not have anything else but a Berry. They dont seem remotely
    interested in an Itouch. They dont even want a Bold. The curve does
    what they want and they are buying them in droves. Incidentaly the
    real price of a Bold is around $800. The touch screen on the Apple is
    crap, at least for my fingers. The BB keyboard is superb. they have
    the business people and always will but now they are attracting kids
    in big numbers.
    I came across this comment in Google Finance Discussions for Research In Motion Limited. The poster is replying to a question about the Apple's influence on RIM's sales over the past quarter.

Curve is the ideal texting device, a full QWERTY keyboard is so much easier to use then the normal phone keypad.

I suspect he makes a very good point. Young people in particular, see texting as the primary use for a smart phone.

Quantcast lists our age demographic:

crackberry.com - Quantcast Audience Profile

3-11 - 3%
    12-17 - 18%
    18-34 - 48%
    35-49 - 24%
    50+ - 7 %
    Over 20% of us are in the under 18 demographic.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 10-23-08 at 02:27 PM.
    10-23-08 02:11 PM
    Wonder why they don't want a bold...of course other than the obvious, the price!

Hey Reed, while I have your attention (hopefully haha) Can you tell me why sometimes my Carrier doesn't show up when I post? Sometimes it does, sometimes not, I don't get it. Sorry to hijack a little
    10-23-08 02:14 PM
    I agree 100% i'm seeing alot more kids with berries. when i was that age this technology wasn't even available but i bet if it was i would have had one lol
    10-23-08 02:15 PM
    I have to admit... my laptop used to be at my side everywhere I went and was in use constantly. Now it rarely sees the light of day since I've become addicted. My first thoughts about how I could never get used to this little bugger have been tossed aside and I find more and more ways to make it work for me.
    10-23-08 02:16 PM
    This is very true! I guess I fall in to that category being 19, texting is something I do a lot of. I also use the web/email side of things too but mainly for sms and IM. I've only had mine a few days and I don't think I could use anything else now.
    10-23-08 02:17 PM
    My friend son told her not to get a blackberry because they were "kids phones." I think it's so pathetic that these expensive phones have gone to the kids... now she's got some crumby old fashioned phone... lol
    10-23-08 02:18 PM
    ...Can you tell me why sometimes my Carrier doesn't show up when I post? Sometimes it does, sometimes not, I don't get it. ...
    Good question, I have no idea why is does that either. At one time, I though the profile detail was limited to the first post in a thread, but clearly that is not the case.

Random? Perhaps.
    10-23-08 02:23 PM
    Hey Reed, while I have your attention (hopefully haha) Can you tell me why sometimes my Carrier doesn't show up when I post? Sometimes it does, sometimes not, I don't get it. Sorry to hijack a little
    I've seen that too and a page refresh always seems to clear it up. Something to do with rendering?
    10-23-08 02:27 PM
    hmm weird, so i guess i'm not the only one
    10-23-08 02:29 PM
    It is true. My Curve is my connection to my kids. They don't have BlackBerries yet but they love to text. Give them the option to talk on the phone or text they will text. Because I am divorced and don't see my kids during the week, I like the connection with them, and I get feedback from them so I know they're paying attention. Now, if only I could get more than a few syllables out of them, , somethings stay the same, lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-08 02:29 PM
    My 14 year old niece has a pearl. She now thinks her 39 year old aunt is pretty kewl because I have a pearl and will text her.

I have actually taught her a lot and have her using her BB for more than texting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-08 02:30 PM
    I got my first berry when I was young, more and more I use it for business and less for media, texting, etc. Just goes to show how versatile the devices are!
    10-23-08 02:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD