The Intel� HTML5 App Porter Tool - BETA is an application that helps mobile application developers to port native iOS* code into HTML5, by automatically translating portions of the original code into HTML5. This tool is not a complete solution to automatically port 100% of iOS* applications, but instead it speeds up the porting process by translating as much code and artifacts as possible.
    And this is a great news for Webworks (the HTML5 BB10 apps platform)
    Technical Reference
    02-13-13 12:23 PM
    This is good news!

Has anyone got an example of an HTML5 app on BB10? I'm curious about how decent the apps are vs Android or Cascades.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-13-13 01:12 PM
    Go google angry birds html 5. There is a web page that runs angry birds in HTML 5. It should work fine on a Z10.

Point is, HTML 5 is not your grandmothers HTML 4 ;-)
    02-13-13 01:15 PM
    This is good news!

Has anyone got an example of an HTML5 app on BB10? I'm curious about how decent the apps are vs Android or Cascades.

I've built the majority of my apps using webworks. For basic apps (not graphics or CPU intensive) HTML5 seems almost as smooth as native.
    Apps can also look identical to cascades apps with BBUI
    02-13-13 01:16 PM
    This is good news!

I've built the majority of my apps using webworks. For basic apps (not graphics or CPU intensive) HTML5 seems almost as smooth as native.
    Unless mine get rejected, you'll find it soon in BlackBerry World ! It's a game with sound/some graphics (nothing intensive).
    Thumbs Madness free is her (I'm in love w/ my code lol) name. Oh yes, it's free .
    02-13-13 01:21 PM
    Side note, does anyone else go out of their way to buy apps that they know someone from CB made?
    02-13-13 08:42 PM
    Ya, of course, presuming it is good.

G-bone likes this.
    02-13-13 09:49 PM
    Check out WebGL -- It's pretty amazing what you can manage, even on the playbook.
    02-13-13 11:51 PM
    Point is, HTML 5 is not your grandmothers HTML 4 ;-)
    LOL. It's not. And bb10 isn't your dad's blackberry.
    02-14-13 01:31 AM
    Does that mean we can port iOS apps to BB10???
    02-15-13 02:59 AM
    Does that mean we can port iOS apps to BB10???
    That means, if you own the source code of an app specifically developed for iOS, it will *partially* convert it into Javascript+HTML5+CSS. From there, you can go many ways; from the web to BlackBerry WebWorks platform. But you will not be able to convert a compiled iOs app and turn it into a BB10 app in a snap
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    02-15-13 03:10 AM
    That means, if you own the source code of an app specifically developed for iOS, it will *partially* convert it into Javascript+HTML5+CSS. From there, you can go many ways; from the web to BlackBerry WebWorks platform. But you will not be able to convert a compiled iOs app and turn it into a BB10 app in a snap
    Thanks, I was actually on a half-false hope and thought I may be reading some massive good news. I currently have an iPhone and there a lots of apps I want over, namely, Cardmunch, etc.

Really hoping similar functions like the Android port could apply to iOS!!
    02-15-13 10:45 PM
    This looks huge to me. I'm fine with app stores but I think the majority of 'apps' should be web-based. The amount of apps in the duopolys stores is ridiculous. It moronic the percentage of web pages I visit on my iphone ask me to download an app, its called a bookmark and I can save that in my menu or my homepage.

If, more likely when, HTML5 becomes more widely adopted it will blow the industry wide open. I know ifans and goofans take a lot of pride in their apps but their closed system apps stores arent all they are made out to be and their belief in them isnt in the end good for consumers.
    G-bone and Wilkerson4492 like this.
    02-16-13 12:17 AM
    I totaly agree. To allow developers to develop one app that can be used on all devices will be huge! Think of the costs and time devs can save by making and supporting one set of software vs multiple versions of the same thing.
    G-bone, EsJayDee and kbz1960 like this.
    02-16-13 01:28 PM
    I totaly agree. To allow developers to develop one app that can be used on all devices will be huge! Think of the costs and time devs can save by making and supporting one set of software vs multiple versions of the same thing.
    Great in theory, extremely hard in practice.
    kbz1960 and Sith_Apprentice like this.
    02-16-13 02:11 PM
    Have you heard of the internet?????

its sad the way people have been conditioned to think, although it seems you make 'apps' so you are likely biased and have a vested interest.
    02-16-13 03:19 PM
    Have you heard of the internet?????

its sad the way people have been conditioned to think, although it seems you make 'apps' so you are likely biased and have a vested interest.
    And you clearly don't make apps, which makes your "expertise" on this subject worth absolutely nothing.
    02-16-13 04:15 PM
    The industry has sat around to long on html5 adoption while being diverted and strung along by Apple and Google. I'm surprised by how many so called industry leaders their are in this world who just sit back and wait for someone to lead them, but like so many things not many know what is going on around them.
    02-16-13 04:31 PM
    Would be nice if all platforms provided equal browser support but that isn't the case at all.

I definitely agree that tons of IOS apps could easily be web apps and probably were originally in some way like Finance and Utility type apps. Obviously Intel is doing this for Tizen but it could be good for BB too.
    mikeo007 and Sith_Apprentice like this.
    02-16-13 05:21 PM
    Would be nice if everyone could just get along and all have one global app store that all apps are purchased from and sales of hardware only came down to niche advantages that the manufacturer of the hardware has patents on and ecosystems of their own they work with.

The smartphone utopia for the average consumer. Dare to dream.
    02-16-13 06:05 PM
    Why does this keep happening? Mike007 is spot-on here.

If you don't mind a unified system that's loaded with unhappy compromises, that's not outside the realm of possibility. The zillions of obvious problems aside, I agree that such a system an important step. I just don't see it happening anytime soon, though for non-technical reasons.
    02-17-13 02:35 AM
    It moronic the percentage of web pages I visit on my iphone ask me to download an app, its called a bookmark and I can save that in my menu or my homepage.
    So when are you gonna tell Kevin you think his Crackberry 10 app is 'moronic'?
    02-17-13 02:57 AM
    So when are you gonna tell Kevin you think his Crackberry 10 app is 'moronic'?
    Nice stretch there.

I guess all people with vested interests in apps here delete the browser off their devices. Its just soooo horrible even though billions of people use it everyday and we don't need apps for everything on our desktop.

App stores are great, but they should be for niche/high-end apps. HTML5 and the web is already here. Looks like intel has the right idea, but do you 'apps or nothing' people think they are misguided? Are they wrong to be doing this? should we keep it app store only? Is the internet as we know it dead? Should I let everyone know they shouldnt be using their browsers and they should only buy android or ios casue they have apps? Should I be downloading on very webpage i go to on my iphone that tells me theres an app?
    02-17-13 03:07 PM
    Would be nice if everyone could just get along and all have one global app store that all apps are purchased from and sales of hardware only came down to niche advantages that the manufacturer of the hardware has patents on and ecosystems of their own they work with.

The smartphone utopia for the average consumer. Dare to dream.
    This is the right way to think to me.

But the web is already here so theres a global app store already although people here seem to deny its existance.
    02-17-13 03:11 PM
    Nice stretch there.

I guess all people with vested interests in apps here delete the browser off their devices. Its just soooo horrible even though billions of people use it everyday and we don't need apps for everything on our desktop.

App stores are great, but they should be for niche/high-end apps. HTML5 and the web is already here. Looks like intel has the right idea, but do you 'apps or nothing' people think they are misguided? Are they wrong to be doing this? should we keep it app store only? Is the internet as we know it dead? Should I let everyone know they shouldnt be using their browsers and they should only buy android or ios casue they have apps? Should I be downloading on very webpage i go to on my iphone that tells me theres an app?
    You seem to have an extremely hard time differentiating an app from a web page.

There are things you can do with an app that aren't currently possible with a webpage. There are other things that, while possible, take an extreme about of work for very little gain.

You see everything in extremes, and it makes it impossible to have a useful discussion with you.
    The web is great, web standards are great. They have their place on smartphones.

But so do native apps. The best of both worlds would be to have a healthy mix of both. Which the 2 major platforms have.

I understand that you will blindly praise Blackberry, and therefore any place that their current platform is lacking will somehow become a positive in your eyes. It's a sad, petty way to view the various other smartphone ecosystems though.
    Your reply just reeks of jealousy.
    02-17-13 03:29 PM
69 123