There's been plenty of blackberry users who have lusted for the sheer naked power of the snapdragon processors from qualcomm, and who opine blackberry's need to be competative over specs.

Now I never really felt that RIM would try to compete by just making their devices on the same chips that power its competitors, it just seems wrong.

However, Intels new atom processors claim to be able to push performance 40% over the snapdragons, and claim to be able to retain MUCH longer battery life while doing it.

Since blackberry has always been CRAZY about keeping better life as long as possible do you guys thing that this might be the direction that RIM will go ?

Idle speculation ofc, but its an exciting development for the mobile space, and hopefully blackberry will be riding the wave.

BGR Article about the new Atoms
    Last edited by EGerhardt; 05-06-10 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Spolling - d'oh
    05-06-10 12:57 PM
    Looks impressive, but I don't see support for LTE. (unless HSPA covers LTE)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-10 04:08 PM
    Looks impressive, but I don't see support for LTE. (unless HSPA covers LTE)

That's not really an issue though.
    05-06-10 04:24 PM
    How when everyone is going LTE? Qualcomms LTE chips are backwards comparable with just about every 3G network as well. I think RIM may just want to Order a massive amount of chips that they can use just about everywhere.

05-06-10 04:28 PM
    Intel uses the CISC system in their chips, right?
    to be able to run BBOS RIM would have to do a rewrite of the kernel to make it compatible, and I don't think it's worth it since CISC requires more cycles to do something that a RISC (what RIM uses) chip can (a 800MHz RISC = 1.2GHz CISC iirc), and thus requires more power, thus reducing your battery life.
    05-06-10 04:41 PM
    and while you at it ask about the Drivers for the GMA 500.
    05-06-10 06:09 PM
    @grahamf I think you have something a little bit mixed up... Intel as well as AMD CPUs for the personal computer platform are CISC. Intel's recently announced new Atom platform is a System-on-Chip (SoC) design. Note that they are not a CPU only, as the platform bases around a single chip that handles everything, not only mathematical calculations (of course this is usually paired with a separate network controller for supporting different types of network technologies such as 3G, EV-DO or LTE). SoC designs are naturally RISC. Reduced instruction set computing: no extras included, only what is needed for the target platform (smartphone). RIM also does not exclusively 'use' RISC as RIM do not manufacture CPUs or chips themselves. Intel/Marvell and Qualcomm are RIM's main suppliers of core components for the BlackBerry platform and all base around a variation of the ARM platform, also RISC. Hope this helps.
    05-07-10 06:32 AM
    Again, I hhad a netbook with an Atom Processor, and it was definitely CISC. Seeing that some of these chips are shown running Windows, those ones are CISC too. And Intel could get away with using CISC on a SoC, and most likely they would try, due to their familiarity with it.
    05-07-10 08:05 AM
    Intel's recently announced new Atom platform is a System-on-Chip (SoC) design.

Learn to read. Thank you.
    edit: Besides, Atom translates CISC to RISC prior to execution.
    Last edited by afropoika; 05-07-10 at 09:23 AM.
    05-07-10 09:19 AM
    I have an ASUS netbook with an Atom N280 processor, running XP. Nice little machine.....
    05-07-10 12:25 PM

Yes, mot modern processors are actually RISC inside even though the instruction set is CISC. Besides, CISC and RISC arguments are not really a big thing anymore. A user won't notice the difference as is.

And the earlier comment about needing to rewrite the OS because it is going from CISC to RISC isn't true. Nowadays we use high level languages to cover these cases, most of the time it's just a matter of recompiling in a different environment and tweaking the code to make it work.
    05-07-10 04:11 PM
    If it's Intel, it's crap straight from the shoot. Qualcomm makes a better product.
    05-07-10 06:38 PM
    If it's Intel, it's crap straight from the shoot. Qualcomm makes a better product.
    In what sense?
    05-07-10 11:18 PM
    In what sense?
    Well, let me put it this way.
    Apple only switched to Intel because PowerPC was becoming worse, and rumour has it they are looking at maybe going to AMD because with their ATI acquisition they have more energy efficient GPU's
    and before you say that Intel has GPU's too, keep in mind that the only one that even get's close to being decent for anything more than general use is the GMA 500, which is made the crappiest GPU due to the drivers (google "GMA 500 drivers," which will have a good read about one of the biggest blunders in the chip industry.
    05-08-10 08:32 AM
    Apple only switched to Intel because PowerPC was becoming worse, and rumour has it they are looking at maybe going to AMD because with their ATI acquisition they have more energy efficient GPU's
    and before you say that Intel has GPU's too, keep in mind that the only one that even get's close to being decent for anything more than general use is the GMA 500, which is made the crappiest GPU due to the drivers (google "GMA 500 drivers," which will have a good read about one of the biggest blunders in the chip industry.

Ummm and this how to do with the topic how?

I don't see Qualcomm anywhere in that post,
    05-08-10 01:13 PM
    Thank you my friend! Once AMD gets into the race, Intel will be tails between their legs. I've yet to own any device running on an Intel processor that has been reliable. Worst processors ever.
    05-08-10 03:08 PM
    Thank you my friend! Once AMD gets into the race, Intel will be tails between their legs. I've yet to own any device running on an Intel processor that has been reliable. Worst processors ever.
    HP went to AMD, and THEY came back with their tails between their legs.

Does anyone else want more information to share?
    My mother is a Product Supply Manager for Intel and I can ask her any questions about any Intel related items.
    05-08-10 03:13 PM
    ^ don't unnecessarily stress your mother about simple stuff like this. Some people are simply uneducated, assume and probably make things up and stir the whole ecosystem with false knowledge.

I don't know if AMD has any intentions to go mobile, but it's wrong to entirely point the finger at the hardware in case a device does not work as desired. Software plays a very big role too, you know.
    05-09-10 01:17 AM
    HP went to AMD, and THEY came back with their tails between their legs.

Does anyone else want more information to share?
    My mother is a Product Supply Manager for Intel and I can ask her any questions about any Intel related items.
    OK. waht the **** happened with the GMA 500? I had a supposed MacBook Air killer that had one and Intel ended up refunding it for me.
    05-09-10 12:03 PM

Great info. grahamf, stop posting nonsense.
    05-09-10 02:54 PM
    I'm sorry, but my understanding is that a SoC is having the majority of the prossessing bits in one chip instead of dispersed all over the motherboard, and it does not define that the chips have to be RISC. Because there's nothing stopping a company from developing a SOC which uses CISC subcomponents, then calling it a SoC.
    I'm just annoyed because I'm not too familiar with the subsystems of the Atom, yet it is said to be a RISC with the only apparent evidence is "it's a Soc"
    05-09-10 05:22 PM
    Oh lord, not only do people debate the best mobile platform on here or bash RIM, but now we're debating the best CPU maker.
    05-10-10 12:58 PM
    Oh lord, not only do people debate the best mobile platform on here or bash RIM, but now we're debating the best CPU maker.
    Bro, if you posted an article on here about people making computers out of potatoes people would be arguing over turnips being better at power management and taking less clock cycles, but pineapples having a better UI.

And yes, civic wouldn't like either option and would have found 50 defects in said potatoes computer already. ; )

05-10-10 04:23 PM
    Bro, if you posted an article on here about people making computers out of potatoes people would be arguing over turnips being better at power management and taking less clock cycles, but pineapples having a better UI.

And yes, civic wouldn't like either option and would have found 50 defects in said potatoes computer already. ; )

Psssssh
    MEAT works to make the best circuitry, as it already is wired to respond to electrical messages sent from the neurones.
    05-10-10 05:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD