Hey,

After I upgraded BBM, AIM, Yahoo IM, and Windows Live Messenger on my phone to the newest versions for each, my address book no longer shows the screen names of people I've entered in. The screen names will only show up when I log in to that specific instant messenger... for example, if I want to see someone's AIM screen name that I entered in before the upgrade, I have to log in to AIM and then go to the address book -- only THEN it will show up. Once I log out of AIM, it disappears from the address book again. Also, I can no longer add/modify/delete screen names from Yahoo/WLM/AIM in my address book unless I'm signed into each one specifically.

What's up with that? Is it a bug? They used to show up in my address book even when I wasn't logged into the specific messengers...

Anyone have any ideas?
    10-10-09 02:58 AM
    I've noticed this as well. I chalk it up to RIM trying to clean up the address book. Example, your looking to IM someone and they're not online, the option to contact via Address Book isn't available. Keeps you from wasting time I guess. Keep in mind that the BlackBerry is all about productivity.
    10-10-09 05:37 AM
    I've noticed this as well. I chalk it up to RIM trying to clean up the address book. Example, your looking to IM someone and they're not online, the option to contact via Address Book isn't available. Keeps you from wasting time I guess. Keep in mind that the BlackBerry is all about productivity.
    I'm all for productivity -- however, in this case it's very counter productive. If someone goes to give me their AIM, WLM or Yahoo s/n, how the heck does RIM expect me to add it to the contact? They've now FORCED me to have to sign in to the instant messaging client in order to add them to my address book, which I do NOT like. If I want to look up someone's WLM, AIM, Yahoo, I am unable to do so now unless I am signed into that client... this is a MAJOR setback for me.

Unless a fix for this is issued I am going to have to find a way of going back to the old version of the clients.

Would anyone happen to know where I can get the last released of them prior to this newest update?

EDIT: Oh and it used to keep you from wasting time anyways by simply showing that contact as unavailable/offline when you weren't signed into that specific IM client... now they just don't show up at all, and there's no way to modify a contact without signing in which in some cases, if I'm getting a screen name from someone quickly if they're leaving for instance, I don't have time to sit around and wait for the IM client to sign in. And NO, going into notepad on my phone and entering in their address there IS NOT AN ALTERNATIVE, that is sloppy and unorganized compared to the last version of the client.

I am very unhappy with this. Again, if anyone knows where I can get the older versions of WLM, Yahoo, AIM, I'd be greatly appreciative.
    Last edited by viksra; 10-10-09 at 08:47 AM.
    10-10-09 08:43 AM
    Bump.

Anyone know where to get the older versions?
    10-14-09 08:47 PM
    Anyone know where to get the older versions?
    Use BB Desktop Manager to get the old version back. Unclick version 5 to de-install it, then click the older version and reinstall.
    10-14-09 08:58 PM
    Use BB Desktop Manager to get the old version back. Unclick version 5 to de-install it, then click the older version and reinstall.
    I'm not talking about BBM 5. I'm talking about AIM, Yahoo, MSN, G-Talk. Where can I get the old versions of those... they did not come preloaded on the BB.
    10-14-09 09:01 PM
    Bump. My question still remains unanswered.

Also, another question: After saving my Blackberry's barcode (QR code) and e-mailing it to myself (it's in PNG format), it shows up as a faulty file (no barcode appears on my computer). Anyone have any idea how to get the barcode from my phone onto my computer?
    10-16-09 12:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD