Came across this on the net, thought I would share.

An Instant "colt" classic
    In early 2012 or late 2011 (as new rumors suggest) RIM will be releasing the much anticipated QNX phone. The phones rumored name is The BlackBerry colt, but that could possibly just be the internal code name at this time. The colt will be the first BlackBerry superphone that comes with the QNX OS. The same OS that powers the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet. The release of this phone is crucial to RIM success and there relevance in the smartphone space.
    Let's take a look at what this phone has the potential to be.
    Starting with the OS. QNX is one of the most powerful and robust operating systems out there. QNX has been around forever and powers everything from NASA space stations to military computers. It can manage memory better than anyone else and if something stops working in the OS it closed the one affected program and keeps the core and everything else stable and untouched. As much as the PlayBook has been criticized for being "half baked" and missing key features, no one can argue with the fact that the OS is snappy and stable and a powerhouse.

Rim acquired a bunch of companies recently and we have yet to see what they intend to do with them. Most assumed that the PlayBook would get the benefit of these awesome little companies RIM has bought up. And there's no doubt in my mind that it will. But I do think that will coincide with those features on the colt as well as the playbook. Which would work in RIMs favor, to have one unified OS on both the tablet and the phone. Some features we might see would be advanced scheduling and contacts. That being from the company Tungle.me and Gist. As well as video editing from a company called JayCut and more social gaming from Scoreloop (we can assume that Scoreloop would help BBM in the gaming department.) And I'm sure we will see more things from T.A.T as well.

Android Apps: We are hearing that the colt will have the Android player right out of the box which makes sense since the PlayBook Android player should be out sometime late Sept. Seems like RIM will almost be using the PlayBook as a testing ground before the Android player gets put on the phones. Works for me. Get the kinks out and make it seamless before it hits the phones.

Internals and hardware: This is where the details get a little sticky. First Mike L said that the QNX phones would be dual core processors. Than rumors came up saying it would only be a single core processor. And now we are back to hearing that it might still be dual core. I think at this point in the game and the phone being slated in late 2011/early 2012 its safer to go with the dual core. I really hope they go dual core. Though I do think a single core running QNX would handle it just fine. But RIM doesn't want to get left behind in the specs race again.
    Now the look of this new bread of BlackBerry. The colt will be an all touch device. The rumor mill suggests that it could be anywhere between a 3.5 inch screen to a 4.5 inch screen. If designed correctly a 4.5 inch would be doable. I have recently seen a lot of android phones pulling off the large display and doing it quite well. Besides I believe this device is geared more to the consumer that wants an amazing media/browsing/app environment and consumption*so the larger screen would be welcome. I'm sure in the future RIM will get the "classic" BlackBerry form factor running with QNX.

I think that if the colt is done right it will be*more of a competitor to Android devices than it would be to an IPhone. Seems like the consumer that's looking for that great and full phone experience but doesn't want an Iphone would go to the colt. Either way I'm very excited to see what RIM has up their sleeves.

-Mr. Infotainment-

I like what this guy is saying it will be a very exciting time for RIM!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-11 08:53 AM
    So its a small playbook? I think I'll stick to my Torch2 and Playbook combo based on that description....

Came across this on the net, thought I would share.

An Instant "colt" classic
    In early 2012 or late 2011 (as new rumors suggest) RIM will be releasing the much anticipated QNX phone. The phones rumored name is The BlackBerry colt, but that could possibly just be the internal code name at this time. The colt will be the first BlackBerry superphone that comes with the QNX OS. The same OS that powers the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet. The release of this phone is crucial to RIM success and there relevance in the smartphone space.
    Let's take a look at what this phone has the potential to be.
    Starting with the OS. QNX is one of the most powerful and robust operating systems out there. QNX has been around forever and powers everything from NASA space stations to military computers. It can manage memory better than anyone else and if something stops working in the OS it closed the one affected program and keeps the core and everything else stable and untouched. As much as the PlayBook has been criticized for being "half baked" and missing key features, no one can argue with the fact that the OS is snappy and stable and a powerhouse.

Rim acquired a bunch of companies recently and we have yet to see what they intend to do with them. Most assumed that the PlayBook would get the benefit of these awesome little companies RIM has bought up. And there's no doubt in my mind that it will. But I do think that will coincide with those features on the colt as well as the playbook. Which would work in RIMs favor, to have one unified OS on both the tablet and the phone. Some features we might see would be advanced scheduling and contacts. That being from the company Tungle.me and Gist. As well as video editing from a company called JayCut and more social gaming from Scoreloop (we can assume that Scoreloop would help BBM in the gaming department.) And I'm sure we will see more things from T.A.T as well.

Android Apps: We are hearing that the colt will have the Android player right out of the box which makes sense since the PlayBook Android player should be out sometime late Sept. Seems like RIM will almost be using the PlayBook as a testing ground before the Android player gets put on the phones. Works for me. Get the kinks out and make it seamless before it hits the phones.

Internals and hardware: This is where the details get a little sticky. First Mike L said that the QNX phones would be dual core processors. Than rumors came up saying it would only be a single core processor. And now we are back to hearing that it might still be dual core. I think at this point in the game and the phone being slated in late 2011/early 2012 its safer to go with the dual core. I really hope they go dual core. Though I do think a single core running QNX would handle it just fine. But RIM doesn't want to get left behind in the specs race again.
    Now the look of this new bread of BlackBerry. The colt will be an all touch device. The rumor mill suggests that it could be anywhere between a 3.5 inch screen to a 4.5 inch screen. If designed correctly a 4.5 inch would be doable. I have recently seen a lot of android phones pulling off the large display and doing it quite well. Besides I believe this device is geared more to the consumer that wants an amazing media/browsing/app environment and consumption*so the larger screen would be welcome. I'm sure in the future RIM will get the "classic" BlackBerry form factor running with QNX.

I think that if the colt is done right it will be*more of a competitor to Android devices than it would be to an IPhone. Seems like the consumer that's looking for that great and full phone experience but doesn't want an Iphone would go to the colt. Either way I'm very excited to see what RIM has up their sleeves.

-Mr. Infotainment-

I like what this guy is saying it will be a very exciting time for RIM!

09-05-11 09:04 AM
    Sounds all fine and dandy. I am excited for one!
    09-05-11 09:49 AM
    I'd be interested in seeing one. Although at that size....I'm hesitant. I'm sure there are people who would really love a device that large.
    09-05-11 12:07 PM
    Larger than a 4 inch screen is a bit extreme for a phone in my opinion. I have a Nexus S 4G. The 4 inch screen on it is a great size. It would be nice to see the new blackberry wit a 4 inch screen, especially if they use a screen with the same dpi as the 9850 or 9930.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    09-05-11 12:13 PM
    3.7-4" is the most I'd like to see the screen. Design is important to minimize the appearance of size too. Smaller phones are more appealing in my eyes.
    09-05-11 01:42 PM
    I hope RIM will not be phasing out the tangible keyboard the world has come to know and love... I would love a QNX phone with a tangible BlackBerry Keyboard instead of a virtual one!
    09-05-11 01:54 PM
    I hope RIM will not be phasing out the tangible keyboard the world has come to know and love... I would love a QNX phone with a tangible BlackBerry Keyboard instead of a virtual one!
    I'm pretty sure that RIM will continue with all three of the basic form factors it has now -- half keyboard/half screen, full touch with sliding keyboard, and full touch only. If any of them were to go, I would (sadly) guess the slider, although there is definitely a niche for people who like full touchscreens yet also want a physical keyboard. But I have no doubt RIM will also keep the stodgy half screen candybar types happy as well.
    09-05-11 02:25 PM
    I think the torch line won't be hacked. They can't afford to. It has sold well and is revolutionary. The only thing that held it back were the internals and OS. Not the case anymore with the 9810 but the next version with QNX and dual core.... Buenos.

In terms of the colt, I think it's a good move by RIM to start out with that form factor but please believe they will never phase out their physical keyboard.

Here's to excitement for the next gen BB phones.
    09-05-11 02:33 PM
    i wouldnt mind a 4.3" device honestly......my only concern with that though would be if i get a phone that big, would i use my playbook less? its kind of redundant imo to have 2 touch devices that arent far off from each other in size. it would be different if the playbook had a 10.1" screen but my Playbook goes everywhere with me because of its size (im typing this at work )

if we will eventually be able to use the keyboard on our devices to type on the playbook then i'll definitely hold off for a qwerty qnx device....still cant wait to see the colt though
    09-05-11 03:33 PM
    Like I have said before, it is an exciting time for RIM and their customers.

I like where they are going, but personally think they should stick at 4" as 4.5" IMO is just huge and not much smaller than a Playbook really. I mean why not just slap a radio and the 7" PB, lol! J I bet they would sell.....some.

Honestly though as I currently have an all touch screen and while I enjoy certain things on it, there is plenty I miss....like my physical KB and battery life.

So I am really hoping for a 9900 type QNX type phone and I would be in heaven!

09-05-11 04:30 PM
    i wouldnt mind a 4.3" device honestly......my only concern with that though would be if i get a phone that big, would i use my playbook less? its kind of redundant imo to have 2 touch devices that arent far off from each other in size. it would be different if the playbook had a 10.1" screen but my Playbook goes everywhere with me because of its size (im typing this at work )

if we will eventually be able to use the keyboard on our devices to type on the playbook then i'll definitely hold off for a qwerty qnx device....still cant wait to see the colt though
    The tangible difference between 4.3" and 7" is huuuge. Total viewing area on a 7 inch display is about 21 (20.74) square inches versus about 8 (7.77) square inches on a 4.3 inch screen. Additionally the optimal viewing distance from a 7" screen is 2-3 ft whereas the optimal viewing distance on a 4.3 is right around 1 ft.
    09-05-11 05:23 PM
    So its a small playbook? I think I'll stick to my Torch2 and Playbook combo based on that description....

I'm waiting for the Colt, then I won't even need a tablet - Playbook or otherwise
    09-05-11 07:21 PM
    There's a few threads/articles on this. I'll even provide a heave of google results: Blackberry Colt

Last edited by Rootbrian; 09-05-11 at 08:47 PM. Reason: fixed link title
    09-05-11 08:45 PM
    Ultimately I would like to see a QNX blackberry with the 9900 form factor big kb and touchscreen but I also am very excited to see where RIM goes with the colt being all touch. I would like the screen to be no bigger than 4" and with that it would have to be very well designed. In the design department I don't think RIM will have a problem they always put out sexy devices. Perfect example is the 9900. Anytime I pull out that phone I get soooo many complements on how nice it looks.

09-05-11 09:27 PM
    Ultimately I would like to see a QNX blackberry with the 9900 form factor big kb and touchscreen but I also am very excited to see where RIM goes with the colt being all touch. I would like the screen to be no bigger than 4" and with that it would have to be very well designed. In the design department I don't think RIM will have a problem they always put out sexy devices. Perfect example is the 9900. Anytime I pull out that phone I get soooo many complements on how nice it looks.

i personally hope they take these new qnx devices in a new direction...kind of like how they did around the time the 8900 and them phones were released. Nothing necessarily wrong with the look now, but i think its time to spice things up
    09-05-11 10:20 PM
    It has to be a powerful device.

09-06-11 09:46 AM
    I want DUAL CORE ! They should call it the blackberry ninja or the blackberry assasin because it will destroy the competition lol did I mention I want dual core?
    09-06-11 06:27 PM
    I think a mini-PlayBook like QNX phone would be awesome! But since I already have a PlayBook + 9900 I don think i'll be getting one. Still interested to see how it comes out though.

Maybe after a year from my 9900 purchase, If I see info about a QNX Bold, i'll start saving up for that haha
    09-09-11 11:28 AM
    3.7-4" is the most I'd like to see the screen. Design is important to minimize the appearance of size too. Smaller phones are more appealing in my eyes.
    There is only one aceptable size for a phone.

09-12-11 01:34 PM
    Haha, Zoolander FTMFW!

09-12-11 07:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD