I came across these two screenshots on twitter. What do you guys think, fake or real? The one with the two Facebook Apps on there, was from a guy that had sideloaded the Android FB on there. See the two images.

Note: These were user screenshots, not RIM ones.
    Last edited by leafs123; 09-26-12 at 10:59 AM.
    09-26-12 10:49 AM
    Hard to say really. I've seen screenshots from actual demo's RIM's done in the past with screenshots of Skype app that never turned out to be.

They need Instagram (along with a plethora of others) in order to be taken seriously, so let's hope it's there.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    09-26-12 10:57 AM
    Looks real...I see that the native applications tend to fill the entire App Icon in the App Tray, so the fact that it isnt make me feel weird...but it is running in the active frames, so maybe it is an early build...I will be absolutely shocked if we do not see instagram on BB10 when released...so this seems like its definitely possible!
    09-26-12 10:58 AM
    Not fake but not real either, lol. It's the Android apps sideloaded.
    JR A and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-26-12 10:59 AM
    I would bet that instagram will be there for launch. Thorsten (or maybe another VP from RIM) was touting their excellent relationship with Facebook on stage yesterday. Instagram/Facebook can only benefit and grow from putting their app on BB10.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    09-26-12 11:37 AM
    I would bet that instagram will be there for launch. Thorsten (or maybe another VP from RIM) was touting their excellent relationship with Facebook on stage yesterday. Instagram/Facebook can only benefit and grow from putting their app on BB10.
    Yup, agreed on that; I'd guess FB will want it on Windows Phone 8, too.

That said, InstaPhoto is actually really good.
    09-26-12 11:41 AM
    If the Android Instagram works, that's good enough for me....(at least until I see a cascades version of it).
    09-26-12 12:13 PM
    Really hard to tell. The quality on the screenshots is too low (it's a JPG and not a PNG straight off the device) for me to really tell if it was shopped or not. And as someone said, it could be Android side-loaded.

For what it's worth, I haven't heard anything out of Instagram about new platforms but that doesn't mean anything. I've been trying to confirm that it'll be on Windows Phone 8 at launch and I can't event get an off-record response from Microsoft or Instagram -- I'm totally shut-out -- and Microsoft's relationship with Facebook is stronger in terms of $$ than anyone.

They sure need it at launch though. That, Skype and Netflix (and Amazon Kindle, frankly) are the must-have launch apps.

My ONLY concern is the small size of the Instagram team. We're talking like less than 15 people -- even post Facebook acquisition. That's what took Android so long. They literally didn't have the man power to do it any faster. And contrary to popular opinion, simply throwing more people on a team doesn't make it go any faster. That can help for server maintenance (though Instagram supported 55m users with 9 employees before FB bought them), but you need a team of people to build for a new platform.

I hope it happens, however. If it can, that's a great first step for BB10
    Dapper37 and 00stryder like this.
    09-26-12 12:52 PM
    Well they did have a rep from Facebook showing off the Facebook app. Facebook now owns instagram so it would make sense for it to be there at launch.
    09-26-12 01:59 PM
    Really hard to tell. The quality on the screenshots is too low (it's a JPG and not a PNG straight off the device) for me to really tell if it was shopped or not. And as someone said, it could be Android side-loaded.

For what it's worth, I haven't heard anything out of Instagram about new platforms but that doesn't mean anything. I've been trying to confirm that it'll be on Windows Phone 8 at launch and I can't event get an off-record response from Microsoft or Instagram -- I'm totally shut-out -- and Microsoft's relationship with Facebook is stronger in terms of $$ than anyone.

They sure need it at launch though. That, Skype and Netflix (and Amazon Kindle, frankly) are the must-have launch apps.

My ONLY concern is the small size of the Instagram team. We're talking like less than 15 people -- even post Facebook acquisition. That's what took Android so long. They literally didn't have the man power to do it any faster. And contrary to popular opinion, simply throwing more people on a team doesn't make it go any faster. That can help for server maintenance (though Instagram supported 55m users with 9 employees before FB bought them), but you need a team of people to build for a new platform.

I hope it happens, however. If it can, that's a great first step for BB10
    Instagram is coming to WP8 as it was leaked in a promo video. Unfortunately I can't dig that video up now.
    09-26-12 02:37 PM
    Instagram is coming to WP8 as it was leaked in a promo video. Unfortunately I can't dig that video up now.
    The Verge reported that it was coming (per reputable sources) to WP8, but the video you saw was likely Vimeo.
    09-26-12 10:15 PM
    They did say all major global social apps would be there at launch!
    09-26-12 10:33 PM
    Does the sideloaded android app work?
    09-26-12 10:54 PM
    Does the sideloaded android app work?
    Nope

Instagram on BlackBerry 10 is like a must-have, we shouldn't have to settle for an Android version. I remember when Instagram was iPhone only, and lots of my friends left BlackBerry and Android for iPhone, JUST for Instagram.

RIM should do all they can to get an official version of Instagram, and give people one more reason to come back to BlackBerry.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    09-27-12 12:15 AM
    I agree. NO SIDELOADING! because it sucks.
    solo_diver likes this.
    09-27-12 08:36 AM
    On the Playbook beta 2.1.0.840, I feel sideloaded android apps run very well. Its almsot hard to tell its not native sometimes. I remember the first batch of android apps back at V 2.0 beta last year and they ran poorly.

If what it takes to convince these developers to port their apps to BB10 is to convert the .apk to .bar and put in Appworld, then see the numbers of downloads from Appworld of the converted .apk to actually show these developers the user base is there, then I'm fine with it.

Obviously RIM made the exceptions in the android player in BB10 to get Instagram to work on the dev alpha because the android player on Playbook OS doesn't allow it to work.

I think this is a good sign. May not be where we ultimately want to be, but someone said recently you climb a mountain one step at a time.....
    09-27-12 11:12 AM
    Nope

Instagram on BlackBerry 10 is like a must-have, we shouldn't have to settle for an Android version. I remember when Instagram was iPhone only, and lots of my friends left BlackBerry and Android for iPhone, JUST for Instagram.

RIM should do all they can to get an official version of Instagram, and give people one more reason to come back to BlackBerry.
    Truer words were never spoken.....

Too bad every BlackBerry owner has had to (at least up to now).

I agree that RIM needs a BB10 version of Instagram, and ever other major social networking site. I know my wife and daughters have kind of slowed down on FB and are really into Pinterest now...
    09-27-12 11:53 AM
    BBM-connected Instagram so you can add a user if they have a BB or start a chat
    James Nieves likes this.
    09-28-12 09:41 AM
    It's the Android version sideloaded but it doesn't work. Says that it's an incompatible device, you can minimise it and it goes into an Active Frame like you see in the screen shot.
    09-30-12 12:18 PM
    BBM-connected Instagram so you can add a user if they have a BB or start a chat
    Good idea ! And maybe use Instagram (profile) photos for BBM contact photos ?
    09-30-12 01:23 PM
    I recall reading somewhere that Instagram's actually a HTML5 app. It should be fairly easy for them to build it for BB10...
    09-30-12 03:54 PM
    I recall reading somewhere that Instagram's actually a HTML5 app. It should be fairly easy for them to build it for BB10...

Nope it's Native. Before the purchase by Facebook it may have been coded in HTML5 but for a few versions it's been native. That said, Tim Neil (bbui.js creator/BatBerry builder) said in a video to N4BB that they (RIM) are tracking the source of Android, he spoke of implementing 4.1 Jelly Bean within the runtime at a future date. That they were waiting to see when the best time to implement it.

That said, BB10 will probably launch with either a native version of instagram built with cascades or they will port the latest build of the Android Version for BB10. No worries

It and all the other big guys will be there at launch.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    00stryder likes this.
    09-30-12 04:18 PM
    ...they (RIM) are tracking the source of Android, he spoke of implementing 4.1 Jelly Bean within the runtime at a future date. That they were waiting to see when the best time to implement it...
    It will be amusing if BB10 is like this, "two ecosystems, one platform". It'll be more amusing if iOS apps can run natively using Open Source tech.
    09-30-12 05:55 PM
    All these apps better be real, and they better have all the other ones the other 2 have or what's the point.
    09-30-12 06:01 PM
    All these apps better be real, and they better have all the other ones the other 2 have or what's the point.

blaZe already confimed what the screenshots are. Sideloaded Instagram running on the dev alpha. Seeing as active frames ARE the minimized app. We can safely assume that at LEAST it loads up. Unless it's all photoshop nonsense

BlackBerry saying it wants to be #3 means they've got all the apps their gonna need to make that happen. Have faith. They're keeping things like this hush hush because it will make the launch that much more exciting.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-30-12 06:24 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD