1. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    very impressed with the new RIM Management team! ... BB10 is a winner!
    12-20-12 09:36 AM
    Greatest comeback in Tech history. Over Apple. Lmfao please stop the madness. Apple came back and created new markets and became the most valuable company in the world period (not just the most valuable tech company). Sorry but RIM won't top that with just a smartphone. Lets be serious here.

Sent from the smartphone if my choice using Tapatalk 2
    bekkay likes this.
    12-20-12 09:45 AM
    Greatest comeback in Tech history. Over Apple. Lmfao please stop the madness. Apple came back and created new markets and became the most valuable company in the world period (not just the most valuable tech company). Sorry but RIM won't top that with just a smartphone. Lets be serious here.

I think the difference is is that RIM was once at the top and fell.... Apple was never at the top... Just almost done for. What they did was impressive and look at them now but if RIM was to come back, not only in smart phones but MDM as they state the direction they are heading, then yes... it would be the biggest come back.
    12-20-12 10:49 AM
    Meh - it doesn't need to be the 'greatest comeback in tech history'. I'd be quite happy with a 'great comeback'.
    12-20-12 10:54 AM
    I think the difference is is that RIM was once at the top and fell.... Apple was never at the top... Just almost done for. What they did was impressive and look at them now but if RIM was to come back, not only in smart phones but MDM as they state the direction they are heading, then yes... it would be the biggest come back.
    See here is where the exaggeration comes in. RIM was at the top of a niche market (Smartphones) not the top company in the world then fell to almost nothing. They didn't fall from being the top company in the world and are now making a comeback. Rim is still just trying to make a comeback in there market. Apple on the other had which was also at the top for a short time if a niche market came back and rose to the most valuable company in the WORLD! Do you get what I'm saying? Now if RIM becomes the most valued company in the world then ok greatest come back ever but even they aren't aiming for that, they just want people to buy there smartphone again. And if they are successful that is somehow the greatest come back ever. Please you have to be joking.

12-20-12 11:07 AM
    See here is where the exaggeration comes in. RIM was at the top of a niche market (Smartphones) not the top company in the world then fell to almost nothing. They didn't fall from being the top company in the world and are now making a comeback. Rim is still just trying to make a comeback in there market. Apple on the other had which was also at the top for a short time if a niche market came back and rose to the most valuable company in the WORLD! Do you get what I'm saying? Now if RIM becomes the most valued company in the world then ok greatest come back ever but even they aren't aiming for that, they just want people to buy there smartphone again. And if they are successful that is somehow the greatest come back ever. Please you have to be joking.

Ok... I didn't know Apple was ever at the top of their niche market back then.
    12-20-12 11:16 AM

Considering they literally "invented" the "smartphone" I think its fair to say they pioneered the market.
    Apple niched the personal music player market with their iPod and grew from their runaway success of that.

Apple has done well for itself, I agree with that wholeheartedly. But I find it really hard to not consider your opinions that of an Arrogant, Biased, Cynic, the ABC's of a hater.

Blackberry has a long road ahead and I for one am excited to see where they take us. If you don't want to go, no one's forcing you to stay in the car.
    BThunderW likes this.
    12-20-12 11:30 AM
    I'm lost. How does the statement that I made which is as of right now true make me a RIM hater, and not wanting to be apart if there comeback at all? I want a BB10 device. If I didn't want one that still does not mean I don't want them to succeed. Competition is good for me as a consumer period. That being said looking at what Apple did and what RIM is trying to do I can't understand how you guys could began to compare a RIM comeback to Apple with a smartphone lol. To me it's just common sense at this point in the game that there comebacks are on a different playing field all together.

Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 12-21-12 at 09:00 AM.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    12-20-12 11:59 AM
    See here is where the exaggeration comes in. RIM was at the top of a niche market (Smartphones) not the top company in the world then fell to almost nothing.
    Well, they have 80 million users ... which is more than they've ever had ... (at least until 4:30 <G>) and are a multi-billion dollar company that spreads across the globe. In decline sure, but "almost nothing" is a little dramatic.
    12-20-12 12:21 PM
    Well, here we go again....
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-20-12 12:21 PM
    Well, they have 80 million users ... which is more than they've ever had ... (at least until 4:30 ) and are a multi-billion dollar company that spreads across the globe. In decline sure, but "almost nothing" is a little dramatic.
    I didn't say they were almost nothing. I was merely quoting someone else.

Sent from the smartphone of my choice using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 12-21-12 at 11:15 AM.
    12-20-12 12:32 PM
    This greatest comeback in history thing is just your ordinary hyperbole, not meant to be taken literally. There's always some fine print afterwards. For example:

BB10 beats very desktop browser! ... when it comes in html5test scores
    BB10 will have apps than any other operating system! ... at the time of their respective launches
    BB10 is better than any android device ... but not as good as iOS

That last quote wasn't made by RIM, it was from some analyst.
    12-20-12 12:33 PM
    They can make a comeback, as far as the greatest, that's quite the stretch. Forget tech companies you'd be hard pressed to find any company that's had the run that Apple is having right now. RIMM will need to make bb10 attractive to young people in order to survive in the consumer market. Repairing brand image isn't as easy as you guys think (no matter how good the product).

Sent from my White iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    phonejunky likes this.
    12-20-12 01:01 PM
    I think I know what's trying to be said here:
    crackberrybrandon is trying to point out that, unlike apple, RIM wasn't at the brink of bankrupcy and folding. RIM still had a good standing in the rest of the world, just not in north america-where apple back in the 90s almost became extinct because, well, they didn't have the financial back up then that rim has had recently. what was said wasn't biased. The world does not revolve around the US market-although sometime it seems that way. the difference beteewn the two was the fact that apple was about to go bye bye completly then while rim recently was about to go bye bye in the us market. People, we're blackberry fans and enthusiests yes. but sometimes that blinds us to the reality. BB10 will be the greatest comeback in US tech history. But not globaly. That can still be claimed by apple. review history with open eyes. do we really have to start calling each other biased, trolls, RIM hatters and Apple lovers? If we're really gonna start turning on each other-still-instead of looking at the real bigger picture here? And the bigger picture here is, because other companies have folded because of the loss of the US market, doesn't mean its going to happen all the time. RIM is GOING to show that they CAN make a comeback here. That if one starts to lose the market HERE, it doesn't mean its doom. Apple was doomed back then. They made a global comeback.

Of course, smartphones wasn't a market back in the 90s. Think about that. The market has changed.The rules are different. Technology is the most rapidly changing market on the planet right now. So how about we say that RIM will be making the greatest comeback in the smartphone market. Apple made the greatest comeback in the tech market. They had no money, no "innovations", no future. Whereas RIM still had a future, just not in the US smartphone market....untill now. :thumbup:

Before we start calling each other out, let's look at history and break it down before we bring this forum down with inner bickering. its just tech.

Go BB10!!!!!
    phonejunky likes this.
    12-21-12 01:52 AM
    I'm slow I just came across this video on YouTube and I thought Boulben did an excellent job in showing just how committed RIM is to bringing a new platform to the market, and how they are targeting the unique fan base that BB has. The one thing that I had to keep rewinding and looking at was when he said there will be "77 apps at launch". I don't care if it's 77 or 7 but I know a lot of the market that is obsessed with how many apps are available on the platform. My question is what happened to their big push to developers to bring them in and get them excited for writing apps that don't take 2 years to develop? I'll be interested to know (and I'm going to start looking now) at how many Dev Alpha Devices were distributed? And was there any kind of agreement that Developers had to sign stating that they will use the device to develop at least one application that will be ready for the Global Launch, or was the idea of giving out Dev Alpha devices just to make sure many leaks made their way into the public eye so it could boost the fans and get everyone excited? Time for me to start researching!
    01-26-13 01:34 AM
    Actually, depends on how you look at it.

When Steve Jobs returned to Apple, it had gone through three years of failure (1995, 1996 and 1997) and was approaching collapse. BusinessWeek put a photo of the Apple logo on its cover and a title "Death Of An American Icon," very similar to the RIM cover stories in the Canadian press.

It took Apple five years (from 1997 to 2002) to pay off all of its debts, return to sustained profitability and generate consistently positive cash flow. RIM is already there.

It took Apple ANOTHER six years to gain significant market share in a new category (smartphones). RIM is already there.

And Apple didn't become "the most valuable company" until four years after THAT.

That's FIFTEEN YEARS!

If RIM manages a turnaround in 2013, that will be a FAR faster recovery than Apple underwent. Which could be construed as The Greatest Comeback In Tech History, by the simple measure of "speed to recovery."

Steve Jobs would have LOVED for Apple to have been a $2.5 billion/quarter company when he took over in 1997... it continued declining for years after his takeover, to about a $4 billion/year company at one point.
    01-26-13 03:24 AM
    For RIMM to come back it would be a huge feat. Much depends on what you mean by come back. With only a few percent of the total phone market it would be a huge feat.
    01-26-13 06:31 AM
92 ... 234