I've already posted this in another thread, but I think that it warrants it's own thread as a topic
    This appeared on Cnet today:
    Inside BlackBerry's last-ditch plan to win you back with Android - CNET

What's interesting to note in this article, is that an Android BlackBerry was in the works well before the release of the Passport.
    Whether that also means abandoning BB OS10 was also planned at that time, is conjecture.
    11-02-15 06:24 PM
    I thought I caught Chen saying something to the fact that they had been testing the Priv for over a year so it doesn't surprise me.
    11-02-15 06:27 PM
    I'm sure the Priv had a 12-18 month development cycle.

When released, BlackBerry was still hoping the Classic & Leap would gain traction in Enterprise, but whether that was a stall tactic for the Priv, or a bona fide plan A (or B), we may never know.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    11-02-15 06:34 PM
    It's probably in the work around the same time BlackBerry announce partnership with Amazon app store...

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-02-15 06:39 PM
    It's probably in the work around the same time BlackBerry announce partnership with Amazon app store...

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    Which makes me wonder, will the Priv come pre-installed with the amazon app store? (not that it is needed anymore)
    11-02-15 07:41 PM
    I could see them hoping the Classic might catch on, but the Leap? I've never even seen one on display anywhere, much less in someone's hand.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 07:49 PM
    I could see them hoping the Classic might catch on, but the Leap? I've never even seen one on display anywhere, much less in someone's hand.

Posted via CB10
    Meet my wife, she's a Leap user... :-)

 Priv New (Chendroid) World...? :-| 
    11-02-15 10:45 PM
    The article was informative and added more clarity to what Mr. Chen's objectives really could be.
    But unfortunately (to me) what was expressed throughout the article was an emphasis away from BB10 and BlackBerry devices.
    It spoke of a CEO (who came from the Software Industry) hired to oversee the transition to a software manufacturer. I also noticed the hiring of people (in key positions) all from outside the company (Louks and Others) with no stake in the success of BlackBerry10. And those investors "questioning the progress in transforming the business"..
    So I ask, who is invested in the success of the BlackBerry Platform. The CEO, who always speaks of its shortcomings and seemingly can't operate the latest and greatest device. Ron Louks, who was notably absence in support of BB10 devices at Mobile World Congress. Or those investors saying "enough all ready, move on"!

It's almost time to stop asking why the BlackBerry Platform is not successful and look at the success The Powers That Be are having not supporting the platform.
    Almost time to stop asking , "Why Not....1.make those types of devices that were being asked for; 2.advertise; 3.market it to more carriers; 4.give the option of running both OS's, to maximize sales potential? ".
    Especially when the remaining option is not making devices entirely.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by KNEBB; 11-03-15 at 05:20 AM.
    11-03-15 04:54 AM
    Anybody that's been laid off due to a company or division being sold, can clearly see what's going on. Chen was not hired to lead BlackBerry to its former glory. He was hired to make the company look better on paper; that way it could be sold at a price closer to what they originally wanted to get.
    11-03-15 06:03 AM
    The article was informative and added more clarity to what Mr. Chen's objectives really could be.
    But unfortunately (to me) what was expressed throughout the article was an emphasis away from BB10 and BlackBerry devices.
    It spoke of a CEO (who came from the Software Industry) hired to oversee the transition to a software manufacturer. I also noticed the hiring of people (in key positions) all from outside the company (Louks and Others) with no stake in the success of BlackBerry10. And those investors "questioning the progress in transforming the business"..
    So I ask, who is invested in the success of the BlackBerry Platform. The CEO, who always speaks of its shortcomings and seemingly can't operate the latest and greatest device. Ron Louks, who was notably absence in support of BB10 devices at Mobile World Congress. Or those investors saying "enough all ready, move on"!

It's almost time to stop asking why the BlackBerry Platform is not successful and look at the success The Powers That Be are having not supporting the platform.
    Almost time to stop asking , "Why Not....1.make those types of devices that were being asked for; 2.advertise; 3.market it to more carriers; 4.give the option of running both OS's, to maximize sales potential? ".
    Especially when the remaining option is not making devices entirely.
    You believe there's a scenario where BB10 could have been successful in today's market?

I think the case could be made that BBRY stuck with BB10 too long.
    DenverRalphy, JeepBB and TGR1 like this.
    11-03-15 06:29 AM
    You believe there's a scenario where BB10 could have been successful in today's market?

Although, I do like me some BB10, that's not necessarily my point.

The point is without a true commitment to any venture, the likelihood of failure is greatly increased. Especially if the success of that venture is not your end game.
    I'm suggesting that BlackBerry 10 and the subsequent smartphones were a vehicle to get BlackBerry from where the old vision placed them in the industry, when it was known as RIM, to a place of transition.
    And perhaps the change in the company's name, was more a reflection of a change in philosophy.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 07:51 AM

Of course BB10 could have been successful. Blackphone is a success. There is no question that a company with a longer history and more enterprise contacts could have as well if it was led by a CEO with some wisdom.
    11-03-15 07:57 AM
    Of course BB10 could have been successful. Blackphone is a success. There is no question that a company with a longer history and more enterprise contacts could have as well if it was led by a CEO with some wisdom.
    Blackphone may be a poor example though.

First, it is an Android phone, and second, it has only sold in the hundreds of thousands.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    JeepBB, Velocitymj and TGR1 like this.
    11-03-15 08:05 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...future-877926/
    This is a thread that was started here two years ago.
    By abandoning OS10 and moving to Android, it allows Chen to more easily transition/move BlackBerry to a software only company.
    From what is available to look at on the Priv, only the "Hub" reminds me of the present BlackBerry GUI that we use.
    11-03-15 10:35 AM
    Not really fair to call this a last ditch effort. BlackBerry's approach has been incremental. There is a logic at work here that many on CB are failing to see.

BlackBerry has been opening many doors, slowly. The reason they are set to release an Android phone is that have been taking steps in that direction for the last two years.

Another way of looking at it is that BlackBerry has given itself the option to go Android. "Last ditch" would imply that there was an immediate impasse. You can run Android apps on OS10 right now. Offering a BlackBerry Android phone fully opens that door.

Posted via my Blackberry Classic
    11-03-15 10:38 AM
    Is it possible that every BB10 device that has been released over the past two years has been primarily designed to transition to Android? We got that sense when it seemed that BlackBerry was encouraging developers to write for the Android app store.

Is the Priv a trial run of Android or is it the beginning of the roadmap going forward? If this is Ron Louks' primary focus over the past two years then it would suggest the latter.
    11-03-15 10:55 AM
    It makes sense for blackberry to focus more on software rather than hardware, as software is were the growth is it at for them. Blackberry has done too much harm to itself and BB10, so at this point android is their best option for saving the hardware division. Chen has streamline the development and production of smartphones for blackberry, so that is a positive.

Chen has the right idea of only releasing 1 or 2 models a year, but hopefully BB10 will stick around for the classic and passport form factors going forward every 3 to 4 years.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 05:06 PM
    You've said this before 'Blackphone is a success' . If the measure of success is that they still exists then yes Blackphone survives to make a Gen2 device. They still have never made any profits and have sought more venture capital to finance continuing operations.
    11-03-15 05:11 PM
    Not really fair to call this a last ditch effort. BlackBerry's approach has been incremental. There is a logic at work here that many on CB are failing to see.

BlackBerry has been opening many doors, slowly. The reason they are set to release an Android phone is that have been taking steps in that direction for the last two years.

Another way of looking at it is that BlackBerry has given itself the option to go Android. "Last ditch" would imply that there was an immediate impasse. You can run Android apps on OS10 right now. Offering a BlackBerry Android phone fully opens that door.

Posted via my Blackberry Classic
    Good points. It's incremental. Yes. One step is also polishing the balance sheet, of course, to make the Street happy, too.

It's not last ditch. Might need another one or two phones before anyone can realistically close curtains on BB devices. We don't want to be overdramatizing everything. Sure it's worth a few extra clicks in the blogosphere...

:-)

11-03-15 11:38 PM
    Journalists:

Blackberry: "last ditch effort"

HTC: "poor thing, we are so sorry"

Sony: "hey, legend, keep up and don't go away, pleeeease

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 04:12 AM
    I wish everyone would just stop the talk about Blackberry is going to stop making devices and give the Priv a chance in the marketplace!!

Whether you like Android or not, a true Blackberry purist would hope the Priv is the most successful Blackberry ever, just my two cents.
    DolemiteDONS and BeautyEh like this.
    11-04-15 02:58 PM
    I wish everyone would just stop the talk about Blackberry is going to stop making devices and give the Priv a chance in the marketplace!!

Whether you like Android or not, a true Blackberry purist would hope the Priv is the most successful Blackberry ever, just my two cents.
    Yep!

Give Priv
    a chence! :-D

Supporter, yes, purist, mmmhhh.... Sure in-house OS is a different thing. Easier to secure, (harder and) costlier to maintain...

11-04-15 06:23 PM
    You realize that, as good as BB10 is, it does not define BlackBerry.

BlackBerry was around for MANY years before BB10 appeared, and hopefully will be around after BB10 disappears.

It's too bad that delays and poor marketing never allowed BB10 to take off. Hopefully the new Android OS will succeed where BB10 could not.

I am interested in the Priv, but will continue to use my BB10s until I at least get to try the Priv, which I never got to do with the phones I have (and still love).

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>
    11-04-15 07:04 PM
    You realize that, as good as BB10 is, it does not define BlackBerry.

It's too bad that delays and poor marketing never allowed BB10 to take off
    9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>
    I never understood why BlackBerry stopped marketing the phones after the Z10 flopped.
    How can you sell something if you don't advertise it?

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 09:24 PM
    Meet my wife, she's a Leap user... :-)

How does she like it? Thinking of getting one for my son. His Z10 is dying.

Posted via Classic
    11-04-15 10:08 PM
32 12