That's great Dave, but I started using a leak before it was made official by any carrier to get rid of random reboots for my Z10. Clearer?
    At that point in time. Yes.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-26-14 02:01 PM
    Still not sure why he went public on this, given its a security embarrassment, and could be dealt with internally.
    Exactly lol

Good old Johnny boy has publicly leaked out the fact that BlackBerry's security was compromised via someone posing as an employee at a carrier partner.

Before that, we just had 10.3, and rumors of other devices, really didn't see the point in him blog blabbing about the finer details.

Posted via CB10
    world saviour likes this.
    03-26-14 02:11 PM
    may be to give some sort of warning....
    03-26-14 02:27 PM
    I like leaks as much as anyone but I think Chen is doing the right thing.

BlackBerry needs to get control of it's message. That means it has to share information when it it ready to do that.

In the past, maybe leaks were required because the OS was not fully baked. 10.2.1 is a good OS. No one "needs" 10.3. Instead, we "want" it. I'd like to be surprised for once when a new OS is released and it has some new stuff in it.

I'd also like to be surprised when a new phone gets released.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 02:34 PM
    The thing is.. with leaks they are able to receive feedbacks on what they are trying to do.. example they released an official version which the majority dont like, then it would backfire..

Posted via CB10
    Don't kid yourself. You haven't provided any feedback to blackberry.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Omnitech, Blacklatino and NinjaB like this.
    03-26-14 02:36 PM
    Exactly lol

Good old Johnny boy has publicly leaked out the fact that BlackBerry's security was compromised via someone posing as an employee at a carrier partner.

Before that, we just had 10.3, and rumors of other devices, really didn't see the point in him blog blabbing about the finer details.

Posted via CB10
    The leaks are no secret. At least by addressing it it doesn't look like they are burying their head in the sand

03-26-14 02:37 PM
    You guys act like he's never managed a business before. I'm pretty sure he's the one with the qualifications.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    propeller10 and anon(3896606) like this.
    03-26-14 02:38 PM

maybe not but I think his point of view could be right.....and he is entitled to its opinion...

so why would you attack him???
    03-26-14 02:44 PM

Trust me you are wrong. I've been around these parts long enough to see that in-fact Crackberry users have changes the arc of devices and software.
    Alain_A likes this.
    03-26-14 02:55 PM
    I like leaks as much as anyone but I think Chen is doing the right thing.

BlackBerry needs to get control of it's message. That means it has to share information when it it ready to do that.

In the past, maybe leaks were required because the OS was not fully baked. 10.2.1 is a good OS. No one "needs" 10.3. Instead, we "want" it. I'd like to be surprised for once when a new OS is released and it has some new stuff in it.

I'd also like to be surprised when a new phone gets released.

Posted via CB10
    I could not disagree more. What has leaked out that affects BB in a negative way? Point to one example of a leaked OS or a leaked device that you think somehow negatively affected BB's market position, market share, or stock. BB has been well behind in software and hardware for years. It's not as if BB came up with some great new hardware item that was leaked so early in the production that someone else was able to rush a cheap knockoff to market. Let alone software. BB is great. I love it. But is missing some key OS elements and lacking in many others. It's ok it's a young OS. But nothing has leaked about the HUB, flick keyboard or camera shift innovations early enough for anyone to do anything about it that might possibly affect BB device sales. In fact, BB hardly advertises those or any other features. ONLY the early leak of BBM caused BB any problem. And without me violating any inside info I have, I will tell you that leak SAVED Blackberry. Maybe one day someone will give the whole story.
    03-26-14 03:06 PM
    Leaks are good, just call them beta releases...
    03-26-14 03:10 PM
    I could not disagree more. What has leaked out that affects BB in a negative way? Point to one example of a leaked OS or a leaked device that you think somehow negatively affected BB's market position, market share, or stock. BB has been well behind in software and hardware for years. It's not as if BB came up with some great new hardware item that was leaked so early in the production that someone else was able to rush a cheap knockoff to market. Let alone software. BB is great. I love it. But is missing some key OS elements and lacking in many others. It's ok it's a young OS. But nothing has leaked about the HUB, flick keyboard or camera shift innovations early enough for anyone to do anything about it that might possibly affect BB device sales. In fact, BB hardly advertises those or any other features. ONLY the early leak of BBM caused BB any problem. And without me violating any inside info I have, I will tell you that leak SAVED Blackberry. Maybe one day someone will give the whole story.
    I have no problem believing it...............kept everyone updated before jumping ship and adopt the "wait and see then decide if it is good or not"
    03-26-14 03:12 PM
    It sounds like the posting of a hardware leak. I dont see the software being as huge an issue because of the huge feedback and testing they receive in the process. In this day and age its very difficult to stop it legal actiion or not. The release of 10.3 software was not the big issue but leaking information about coming phones and models would be. The hardware side needs to stay somewhat secretive as its the part you can not change easily. Once the production plans have been made you cant just stop and change things to keep it a secret. So this is the big issue. With the software its a bit more flexible. The basic OS wont change much hiding the new special features would be okay. The software is the part with alot more trouble to get perfect. Way to many lines of code to add and not enough time ever to test and use to get all the flaws. The leaks do help to get reaction possibly change schemes and usually help to finalize the final product. Leaks are like a test bed for everyone. I dont see stopping these and even if you could it doesnt really change to much. I guess they look at a company like apple and say hey if they can do it then so can we. I say it might be possible but does it actually help things. In any case we understand the frustration of someone working on something to get the upper hand and then overnight someone leaks that out and blows 6 months worth of secrecy and it really does make the surprise factor of a real release date go away. In any case we will see what comes of it. Hopefully blackberry brings out more devices and better software and if this leads to that then we wont care if the leaks go away at all.
    03-26-14 07:36 PM
    Not sure if this has been posted already. I guess this is related to the 10.3 leaks?

Taking Action to Stop Leaks | Inside BlackBerry
    This has already been discussed...on the CrackBerry homepage...you know, where they have news articles, editorials, reviews, and so on.
    03-27-14 09:40 AM
    Leaks are good, just call them beta releases...
    If you really think about it the leaks in question are not related to the OS, but hardware. This is evident by the fact that the example of "what we will be seeing less of from BlackBerry" was a link to another blog post regarding the Z3. The only time an OS leak may detrimental is when someone discovers information pertaining to potential future devices, which, if I am not wrong, can be left out of the leak....maybe.
    03-27-14 10:01 AM
    The hardware side needs to stay somewhat secretive as its the part you can not change easily. Once the production plans have been made you cant just stop and change things to keep it a secret. So this is the big issue. With the software its a bit more flexible.
    Apple falls victim to this all the time. A good example would be when "someone noticed and leaked" that someone who manufactures a certain component for Apple was running a production of 8" touch screens, which was the first piece of evidence for the iPad Mini. Then, the iPad Mini was released. Of course Apple's MO is to neither acknowledge nor deny the leaks, which adds to the mystery. They just keep on trucking as if nothing has ever happened.

This can't work with BlackBerry.

Apple users, of what-ever product, have long known that Apple is going to give them what Apple wants them to have; not what they want. Apple knows that no matter how many we-want-these-features are not included in the latest product users will still purchase the new iPhone regardless. And usually in record numbers. iPhone users have been begging for removable media; micro USB; NFC; an iPhone phablet; wireless charging; a better camera; and so on for years. BlackBerry currently does not have that luxury.

From a marketing standpoint, it makes more sense for BlackBerry to keep future products out of the limelight; in particular since BlackBerry has let consumers down in the past.
    03-27-14 10:16 AM
    Didn't Thor say the same thing? Lol

#believeinfilm
    03-27-14 10:56 AM
    Exactly lol

Posted via CB10
    I think he is using what ever bait is in his disposal at this point. Some fish that steal a nibble every now and then are a little tricky and like to hide themselves. He's just throwing out a little bait to catch a bigger fish.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    03-27-14 11:22 AM
    I think he is using what ever bait is in his disposal at this point. Some fish that steal a nibble every now and then are a little tricky and like to hide themselves. He's just throwing out a little bait to catch a bigger fish.
    Hmm. Never thought of it like that.
    Very plausible.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 11:25 AM
    ONE THING YOU CAN COUNT ON......
    THERE WILL ALWAYS BE LEAKS.... NO MATTER WHAT!

In the long run, the pessimist "may" be proven right...
    But the optimist has a better time on the trip!
    03-27-14 12:57 PM
    While Chen is busy suing this person for their alleged crime, he should also review BBRY's internal security processes and procedures.

It's truly amazing that a company that wears its security cred on its sleeve and boasts industry leading security systems has one that allows an impostor to access such sensitive company information as future product plans and designs.
    03-27-14 04:44 PM
    I'm not too worried about software leaks stopping, Chen seems more focused on the hardware/device leaks anyway.. plus the situation he mentioned about impersonating a carrier wouldn't lend itself to a software leak- at least not the 10.3.140 that we just saw.. i don't know why a carrier would have/request a copy that early or why BB would give it out for that matter...

but at the same time, I don't think OS leaks are going to continue because it's intentional by the company, it's going to continue because there will always be one weak link in the information security chain- someone who leaks info for money, pride of being the "only" one to have it, or just for passion.. bottom line, some of y'all are overestimating the value of any feedback that is discovered from these leaks.. a bunch of unorganized, non-unified opinions and complaints related to mostly outdated parts of an OS that were possibly never intended for the finished product? ...aren't going to be much help to a company.

....then when they change/remove a feature that is OBVIOUSLY not finished/optimized/ideal, people say "see they changed it cuz we didn't like it".. well I guess we all like to think we have a larger effect than we actually do, but that's kinda silly imo.. I can already see people saying "they took the red out of 10.3 (or gave us an option) cuz we all cried bloody murder", when it was probably never planned to be permanently red from the beginning.. goes the opposite way too, if they keep the red and just complete the look, it's probably what was already planned, not due to any of these red-loving posts here lol...

besides, if they're listening and compiling all this "feedback" from users, why the Hell don't they have full landscape support, or various other "big ticket" items that have surely been brought up over and over since BB10 was released?!? they would def know how much we want these if they had been following along...

now do I think more than zero employees of BlackBerry browse or even engage in CB community or other BB forums? absolutely.. and it's possible they may personally take away some insights back to the company on their own accord, or pass them off as their own ideas, but i'm pretty sure it's not planned that way.
    Omnitech likes this.
    03-27-14 04:44 PM
72 123