I would be OK if and only if we all get the OS updates at the same time, without having to wait for carrier approval
    chern and strongo like this.
    03-26-14 11:53 AM
    The thing is.. with leaks they are able to receive feedbacks on what they are trying to do.. example they released an official version which the majority dont like, then it would backfire..

Posted via CB10
    That is what Alpha and Beta testing are for and this can be done internally. If there is a time in the development they want external feedback then can make it available as well. I believe their concern in when things are prematurely leaked.
    mkiiw likes this.
    03-26-14 11:55 AM
    Chen is targeting fan sites too?

"We will always take appropriate actions to prevent leaks from happening and in some cases this means prosecuting individuals ? internally or externally ? who leak confidential information."

Posted via CB10
    Or it could mean the "carrier" person who accessed BB info -- who is not a direct employee.
    03-26-14 11:57 AM
    Many corporate users in the US stuck on 10.1 would have fled to IOS if 10.2 and 10.2.1 leaks had not come along so early. Even if they were buggy, they gave some hope. And in many cases the leaks were far less buggy that the official OS. Same holds true of the devices. It was way too long waiting for their release. The leaks kept many hanging on waiting. Sorry if anyone can't see it. But having lived in the forums much of the last 6+ years, I fully believe it to be true.
    Sorry, I don't see CORPORATE users support using leaks. Individual hobbiest maybe however not a company policy.

It may be good to see what is on the pipeline (yes that issue will be fixed or updated), however unless you are an official beta tester for them, it shouldn't be released to the public until it is at least in BETA state (see my above post).

Proof that is bad, look at what happenned with xBBM got released with the leaked version floating around? Leaked version jammed up their system with short cuts.

There were also issues reported for people trying to upgrade to an official OS if they have a leaked version installed.

For people who couldn't get an OS AFTER it got released due to their carrier, then the leaked software AT THAT TIME is FINE then since all the features are already set and perhaps just missing customizations (e.g. Wifi Calling) particular to that carrier.

Patience people. BlackBerry has released more updates to their OS over the year compared to Apple and Google.
    03-26-14 12:03 PM
    Definitely see where he is coming from. BlackBerry is becoming a bunch of hard ballers, I'm liking it!

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 12:05 PM
    Definitely see where he is coming from. BlackBerry is becoming a bunch of hard ballers, I'm liking it!

Posted via CB10
    +1
    03-26-14 12:13 PM
    Could not agree more. A company that prides itself on security should be secure.
    03-26-14 12:19 PM
    I agree. However, the leaks also take away the "element of surprise". We find out all of the features before it's released, yet we complain that there are no new added features when it goes official.

Z30
    That's half of the true, I'm already using the 10.3 leak and instead of losing the surprise feeling I'm more excited to see how it will be in the official release. Now, I understand why Mr Chen is blocking the leaks so, is a bittersweet taste.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 12:20 PM
    Maybe I'm missing something, but the press release does not mention software at all.
    03-26-14 12:20 PM
    Maybe I'm missing something, but the press release does not mention software at all.
    "This person falsely posed as an employee of one of our carrier partners to obtain access to secured networks." - to me this would imply a software breach even though it doesn't directly relate to the content.

I think the atricle alludes to both hardware and software.
    03-26-14 12:27 PM
    keeping people in the dark will make some moving on....
    03-26-14 12:28 PM
    i understand and they probably should stop if and BlackBerry releases official os upgrades without going through carriers. because here in honduras, they just don't care about BlackBerry anymore and i love being up to date with my Z10 (Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2234).

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 12:33 PM
    keeping people in the dark will make some moving on....
    "rest assured that we’re committed to communicating our biggest updates to you early and often – when they are ready to be shared. "

It doesn't appear BB wants to keep their fans in the dark, but their is a time and place for everything.I would rather be in the dark a little longer if that means the competition doesn't get to see BBs ideas and future plans far in advance.

The other side of the coin too many people had no clue about the recent 10.3 release being an early leak and were jumping all over why they hated it. Half the stuff might not be in the official release or look nothing like it does now I think it caused more confusion than beneficial input. It wasn't even a fully operational leak for all phones and people were complaining when the early leak not made for their phone didn't work as expected, it is not even a full OS for these phones.

If people want to complain about how quickly the OS updates come to market that is a totally different conversation I think we are muddying the waters here. Right or wrong some people just got official access to 10.2.1, is it unfair to wait a few months for a (properly tested) upgrade to 10.3?
    03-26-14 12:38 PM
    He said he would go after internal as well as external leakers, so it's not as limited as you suggest.
    That's the official stance he has to take as the head of a publicly traded company. If there's information from the company, it has to be released publicly to /everyone/, not a small niche group. They, BlackBerry, can get into trouble for that.

Chen recognizes the value of leaks:

"I recognize that, in some cases, the leaks reflect people�s genuine interest in BlackBerry. There are a lot of people whose enthusiasm for our company and our products makes them want to know what we will do next � and that can be a tremendous asset for us as a brand."

but...

"But, when curiosity turns to criminality, we must take strong action."

In this particular situation, he's saying that the company will be going after someone. Whether they enforce it in the future is unknown, but when curiousity turns into criminal acts, they will definitely prosecute.
    03-26-14 12:46 PM
    i understand and they probably should stop if and BlackBerry releases official os upgrades without going through carriers. because here in honduras, they just don't care about BlackBerry anymore and i love being up to date with my Z10 (Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2234).
    There's a difference between a "leak" of an official software release from another carrier and an internal work-in-progress. Shutting down the latter won't affect your ability to upgrade from other carrier's releases.
    03-26-14 12:49 PM
    I would have gotten rid of my Z10 if it wasn't for leaks. It made the phone actually useable. I understand it from a hardware standpoint but from a leaked OS standpoint it sucks.
    Not true. You can get stable updates off carriers via Sachesi.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-26-14 12:50 PM
    Just like the red in the 10.3 leak, alot of people aren't fond of it. It's a very early build, and we have no idea if they are keeping the red, or have options etc..... a lot of people think "this is it" but in reality it's not, it's just a very early build.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 12:51 PM
    He has to do what he has to do to make the company profitable. I agree with most above that leaks are great for some but as others have mentioned once that "Leak" becomes official no-one is surprised or wowed by any features added.

Also BlackBerry has to get its efforts in the right place to have a perfect roll out of updates. Having one carrier be on 10.1 when everyone else is on 10.2.1 is not acceptable. Next of course having people on these forums rant and rave about how amazing the new OS is; makes the people without it want to get it no matter what the cost.

Great step, but things have to change more than just restricting leaks
    03-26-14 01:06 PM
    He has to do what he has to do to make the company profitable. I agree with most above that leaks are great for some but as others have mentioned once that "Leak" becomes official no-one is surprised or wowed by any features added.

Also BlackBerry has to get its efforts in the right place to have a perfect roll out of updates. Having one carrier be on 10.1 when everyone else is on 10.2.1 is not acceptable. Next of course having people on these forums rant and rave about how amazing the new OS is; makes the people without it want to get it no matter what the cost.

Great step, but things have to change more than just restricting leaks
    Again I repeat... you don't need leaks to get 10.2.1.... you get it off another carrier via Sachesi. But yes AT&T should move it's *** and BlackBerry needs to kick it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-26-14 01:19 PM
    Put newer mostly-stable OS builds in BetaZone! Then we wouldn't need shady leaks.

BlackBerry can't stand there and say they have not benefited from leaks in the past. They get feedback from the fans and users who care enough about BlackBerry to use a leak. They get bugs found before wider release.

We have benefited too, obviously. I had a friend who picked up a Z10 6 months or so ago. His was experiencing that weird random reboot issue that some Z10's just seemed to have early on. The carrier didn't know anything so I said "Fine. I'll fix it for you." And I loaded the latest stable leaked OS, knowing from here on CB because the newer leak seemed to fix the problem. Were that not possible, I'd have had no way to fix his phone.
    03-26-14 01:27 PM
    "rest assured that we’re committed to communicating our biggest updates to you early and often – when they are ready to be shared. "

It doesn't appear BB wants to keep their fans in the dark, but their is a time and place for everything.I would rather be in the dark a little longer if that means the competition doesn't get to see BBs ideas and future plans far in advance.

The other side of the coin too many people had no clue about the recent 10.3 release being an early leak and1- were jumping all over why they hated it. Half the stuff might not be in the official release or look nothing like it does now I think it caused more confusion than beneficial input. 2- It wasn't even a fully operational leak for all phones and people were complaining when the early leak not made for their phone didn't work as expected, it is not even a full OS for these phones.

If people want to complain about how quickly the OS updates come to market that is a totally different conversation I think we are muddying the waters here. Right or wrong some people just got official access to 10.2.1,3- is it unfair to wait a few months for a (properly tested) upgrade to 10.3?

1+2... Sadly but true.....a lot of those

3- it is not fair when it takes too long....I previously heard from somewhere that carrier test what is hot sale first then go down the line
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    03-26-14 01:28 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    he is talking about the leaks before it become an official release....and I agree with him.....if there would have never been leak from what he stated ( from the beginnig) some peeps would of gone to another brand..
    03-26-14 01:36 PM
    Not sure if this has been posted already. I guess this is related to the 10.3 leaks?

Taking Action to Stop Leaks | Inside BlackBerry
    LOL. Chen would have had a massive coronary around 2-3 years ago- especially when several sites were "reportedly" requesting donations for leaks.
    03-26-14 01:39 PM
    That's the official stance he has to take as the head of a publicly traded company. If there's information from the company, it has to be released publicly to /everyone/, not a small niche group. They, BlackBerry, can get into trouble for that.

Chen recognizes the value of leaks:

"I recognize that, in some cases, the leaks reflect people�s genuine interest in BlackBerry. There are a lot of people whose enthusiasm for our company and our products makes them want to know what we will do next � and that can be a tremendous asset for us as a brand."

but...

"But, when curiosity turns to criminality, we must take strong action."

In this particular situation, he's saying that the company will be going after someone. Whether they enforce it in the future is unknown, but when curiousity turns into criminal acts, they will definitely prosecute.
    I'm not sure I agree with your distinction. Regardless, there will be no more leaks, this has killed them dead.
    03-26-14 01:40 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    That's great Dave, but I started using a leak before it was made official by any carrier to get rid of random reboots for my Z10. Clearer?
    03-26-14 01:48 PM
72 123