Desperate times call for desperate measures, never shoot your banker.
    02-18-14 09:52 PM
    Maybe what you like are people who beat around the bush but fortunately others may differ with you. I personally like how John Chen has taken the bull by the horn. He has called a spade a spade and some how you think diplomacy is the better route? SMH. . Don't you think it is high time BlackBerry stood up and fought for what is right? Self denial never resolves anything; I suppose you must be in denial that the blackberry users in the USA are being hosed royally by their carriers. Its better to put up a good fight and move on than to pretend that everything is ok.
    If you disagree, kindly tell me what BlackBerry has got to lose if it severed ties with T-Mobile. The last time I checked, T-Mobile wasn't selling BB phones by the truck loads.
    Tmo is a global player, so it's an error to see this purely in USA terms.
    Acting tough when you're in a weak position isn't the smartest tactic and shows his inexperience in this market.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    JeepBB, milo53 and techvisor like this.
    02-19-14 01:51 AM
    Tmo is a global player, so it's an error to see this purely in USA terms.
    Acting tough when you're in a weak position isn't the smartest tactic and shows his inexperience in this market.

What's wrong with demonstrating to the world that you don't believe you're in as weak a position as everyone thinks (which is NOT the same as burying your head in the sand pretending nothing is wrong). His inexperience in this market means nothing; he's very experienced as a CEO, particularly turning around a failing business, which means everything.

Chen's response was infinitely more effective than cowering in the corner as his predecessor would likely have done, or storming away in a huff as his predecessor's predecessor has done. And it's getting press; between this and the suit against Typo, the perception of the general public who may be unaware of the details of T-Mo's promotion will be that this company is not going to just lay down and give up the fight. Not to mention the aggressive and encouraging signal it sends to BBRY's own employees. In my mind, it's about time this company had leadership that shows some grapes.
    canuckvoip likes this.
    02-19-14 07:49 AM
    I have never said what tmo did was ok. The point is Chen has overreacted (to a stupid offer) by putting out an aggressive, unproductive public statement. He should have dealt with it calmly and professionally to further BBRY's business interests.

Actually, what Chen did was completely fine. Tmo pushed a product to make profit,and Chen woke them up and it's a strong message
    02-19-14 07:56 AM
    Good to see Chen stepping up to do something about this. Last May, 2013 Telus had a similar promo asking users to trade in their Blackberry phones for an additional $75 off of a Samsung or iPhone.
    At that time TH did nothing about it.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 08:10 AM
    Post added nothing.
    Last edited by Cashgap; 02-19-14 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Post added nothing.
    02-19-14 09:25 AM
    You can only buy BB10 devices as a refurb or through business accounts I believe.
    T-Mobile could offer the online option for customers if they really wanted to buy a BB10 device.

I think Chen over reacted. I like how he says they were once profitable together and what not. I think that should have been his only approach. He looks like a baby. This is business. T-Mobile doesn't NEED to sell BlackBerrys, and they can tell whoever they want to upgrade to an iPhone, the device that they FINALLY have on their network. People have been wanting iPhones on T-Mobile for years, so maybe some users who have been holding onto their legacy devices would as well.
    You are entitled to your views, but in my opinion CEO Chen said what exactly needed to be stated. They were deliberately undermining the service agreement that they had with BB by only targeting BB customers with a competitor's product.

What is T-Mobile suppose to do? Tell BB users who are probably going to be upgrading to go buy another BBOS device that has been given a death sentence by their maker (didn't BB announce legacy support will be coming to an end)? Tell them to buy a refurb or sign up with a business account? They obvious stopped selling BB10 devices because not enough users on their network gave them any attention and they were making no money or losing money the whole time.
    It's all about giving their existing BB customers a choice if they want to upgrade to another BB device. T-Mobile could give those customers the option of ordering a BB10 device online. That way they don't risk having to maintain significant stock levels if they don't want to.
    02-19-14 11:35 AM
    I have never said what tmo did was ok. The point is Chen has overreacted (to a stupid offer) by putting out an aggressive, unproductive public statement. He should have dealt with it calmly and professionally to further BBRY's business interests.

Exactly, now there seems to be a Twitter war between the two. How juvenile.
    02-19-14 04:52 PM
    You can only buy BB10 devices as a refurb or through business accounts I believe.

I think Chen over reacted. I like how he says they were once profitable together and what not. I think that should have been his only approach. He looks like a baby. This is business. T-Mobile doesn't NEED to sell BlackBerrys, and they can tell whoever they want to upgrade to an iPhone, the device that they FINALLY have on their network. People have been wanting iPhones on T-Mobile for years, so maybe some users who have been holding onto their legacy devices would as well.

What is T-Mobile suppose to do? Tell BB users who are probably going to be upgrading to go buy another BBOS device that has been given a death sentence by their maker (didn't BB announce legacy support will be coming to an end)? Tell them to buy a refurb or sign up with a business account? They obvious stopped selling BB10 devices because not enough users on their network gave them any attention and they were making no money or losing money the whole time.

The push for BB10 around the world isn't their. BlackBerry is to blame for that with their lack of advertising and horrible advertising when they actually do. No one knows about the devices because of them.

I expect to see more and more carriers to continue this trend if BB10 isn't selling well. So far, it's been awful, and it sucks to say that. BB10 is awesome and has so much potential. I'd love to see BB in the top three again, but things need to happen fast. Hopefully Chen is able to make that happen.
    True...BlackBerry has nobody to blame but themselves.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    02-19-14 05:10 PM
    Exactly, now there seems to be a Twitter war between the two. How juvenile.
    To be a Twitter war, don't they both need to be on Twitter?
    02-19-14 06:00 PM
    All the carriers are the same. Looking to sell the latest and newest smartphone like seasonal fashion. They control their network, access to their customers, and whether a new smartphone succeeds or fails through their marketing. Since BlackBerry 10 launch, the carriers have shown a collective MEH. Screw the carrriers. BlackBerry should sell unlocked products on their website directly to the faithful at reasonable prices. Google does it every day....
    tryfe likes this.
    02-20-14 01:34 AM
    But did he really just say "soon".
    He said "very soon."

And for our loyal customers on the T-Mobile network, know that we have an offer in the works designed especially for you. Watch this space for an update very soon.

There have been rumors here of CB getting the Z30 in March (2014!), so I think it's possible that Chen's response is a bit of theater. A big part of his complaint against T-Mobile is their failure to communicate with BlackBerry before offering their deal to T-Mo BB users. I think it's very possible that he did communicate to Legere his intention to cuff him a little and hint at something coming soon, so that in a few weeks T-Mo can launch the Z30 with some "reconciliation" publicity and an upgrade offer for Z10/Q10 customers. Political leaders do this sort of thing, and I don't see why CEO's wouldn't. Both BlackBerry and T-Mobile would emerge looking good.

It's just speculation, but more entertaining than conspiracy theories.
    tryfe likes this.
    02-20-14 08:34 AM
    It's interesting to re-read these opinions about T-Mobile. Does anyone think that 94% this is the last word in this skirmish or is there another move coming from Blackberry? What could it be? Do you think JC will respond or would he rather just let this all die down. After all, if he hadn't started up with the T-Mobile CEO then 94% wouldn't really be news. In fact, the whole thing started on this forum with someone being offended by the ad and others calling it a fake.
    bbq10l likes this.
    03-05-14 09:29 AM
    Well, 94% got rid of their blackberry so that kinda backfired... Seems its going to take a little more that "outrage" to keep BBRY customers, let alone get new ones!...

Duly served justice, Mr. Chen. Huge kudos to you. I hope you should consider a similar notice to other US carriers withholding updates and devices.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-05-14 11:06 AM
    Well, 94% got rid of their blackberry so that kinda backfired... Seems its going to take a little more that "outrage" to keep BBRY customers, let alone get new ones!...
    Without context, that # is irrelevant. What devices? Did they buy the phone on ebay then trade in? 94% has no meaning.

It's like a college saying they have a 94% job-placement rate 6 mos. after graduation. Ok, well, if 25% of those are in low-skill, minimum wage jobs, that's not really relevant, is it? Those don't require a college degree.
    03-05-14 12:39 PM
65 123