You can only buy BB10 devices as a refurb or through business accounts I believe.

I think Chen over reacted. I like how he says they were once profitable together and what not. I think that should have been his only approach. He looks like a baby. This is business. T-Mobile doesn't NEED to sell BlackBerrys, and they can tell whoever they want to upgrade to an iPhone, the device that they FINALLY have on their network. People have been wanting iPhones on T-Mobile for years, so maybe some users who have been holding onto their legacy devices would as well.

What is T-Mobile suppose to do? Tell BB users who are probably going to be upgrading to go buy another BBOS device that has been given a death sentence by their maker (didn't BB announce legacy support will be coming to an end)? Tell them to buy a refurb or sign up with a business account? They obvious stopped selling BB10 devices because not enough users on their network gave them any attention and they were making no money or losing money the whole time.

The push for BB10 around the world isn't their. BlackBerry is to blame for that with their lack of advertising and horrible advertising when they actually do. No one knows about the devices because of them.

I expect to see more and more carriers to continue this trend if BB10 isn't selling well. So far, it's been awful, and it sucks to say that. BB10 is awesome and has so much potential. I'd love to see BB in the top three again, but things need to happen fast. Hopefully Chen is able to make that happen.
    JeepBB and bbq10l like this.
    02-18-14 06:21 PM
    I'm not worried about getting a Z30 on T-Mobile right now, I just want my dang 10.2.1
    02-18-14 06:23 PM
    And what does such a public fallout with your key partners actually achieve in business terms?
    Nothing good can come from this.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    You mean what John Legere did, right? How he specifically targeted BlackBerry users to get us to switch to iPhone because he signed a contract and now has way too many iPhones to dump?
    That's OK but what Chen did is not?
    Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    02-18-14 06:24 PM

How do you know this?
    You're right, I don't know for sure but I'd guess they would have a contract commitment to supply and promote bbry phones. Not for much longer though.

02-18-14 06:32 PM
    You mean what John Legere did, right? How he specifically targeted BlackBerry users to get us to switch to iPhone because he signed a contract and now has way too many iPhones to dump?
    He targeted you because there are no BB10 devices to upgrade to on their network (unless you want a refurb or sign up as a business user), and they need to sell iPhones.

Legere is in the business of making money. BB10 obviously wasn't doing that for him, so he decided to offer current BB users a device that will.
    Last edited by avt123; 02-18-14 at 06:48 PM.
    02-18-14 06:35 PM
    I have never said what tmo did was ok. The point is Chen has overreacted (to a stupid offer) by putting out an aggressive, unproductive public statement. He should have dealt with it calmly and professionally to further BBRY's business interests.

JeepBB and bbq10l like this.
    02-18-14 06:39 PM
    Business is cut-throat and sometimes decisions are made that don't solely look at things from a financial standpoint. I'm sure the other carriers are more than happy to oblige to BB customers should TMo and BB discontinue their relationship. John Chen is a smart man, I am unaware of anyone here who knows, or can openly say, what happens behind closed doors at either company.

With that said, for everyone here who complains about the media and other companies treading on BB without any consequence, your call has been answered, yet people still complain. You cannot have it both ways.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    02-18-14 06:50 PM
    He targeted you because there are no BB10 devices to upgrade to on their network (unless you want a refurb or sign up as a business user), and they need to sell iPhones.

Jegere is in the business of making money. BB10 obviously wasn't doing that for him, so he decided to offer current BB users a device that will.
    He could have targeted all users of phones over 2 years old (or whatever), but no... Had to be a knob didn't he? And it's Legere...
    Backfired rather nicely. :>)
    I have never said what tmo did was ok. The point is Chen has overreacted (to a stupid offer) by putting out an aggressive, unproductive public statement. He should have dealt with it calmly and professionally to further BBRY's business interests.

We all can read into what Chen said and come away with what we want, no?
    Unlike you, I see a determined, focussed professional CEO looking out for his and my interests. Someone who strikes quickly and decisively instead of being a wimp.
    Watch Chen continue to make the stock rise.
    02-18-14 07:01 PM
    He could have targeted all users of phones over 2 years old (or whatever), but no... Had to be a knob didn't he? And it's Legere...
    Backfired rather nicely. :>)
    He targeted legacy users because they have no BB device to UPGRADE to.

Yes, he could have targeted others as well, but legacy devices are old, and on T-Mobile, they have no BB to upgrade to. They are not the same as your current modern smartphone anymore. They are the new feature phone.

I know it's Legere, that was a typo. I edited my post about 13 minutes before you responded to mine. I guess it took you a while to write both of those responses.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-18-14 07:24 PM
    He targeted legacy users because they have no BB device to UPGRADE to.

Well isn't that the whole issue right there. I'm glad Chen said what he did.
    Sorry about the typo thing, that was a cheap shot.
    :>)
    02-18-14 07:39 PM
    Well isn't that the whole issue right there. I'm glad Chen said what he did.
    Sorry about the typo thing, that was a cheap shot.
    :>)
    No, it's not an issue. Do you think T-Mobile just decided to give BB the big FU and stop selling for no reason? They have probably had horrible results with offering BB10 devices on their network, and since T-Mobile is a "bring any device to our network" carrier, they know you can go out and buy one directly from BB if you really want it.

The bigger issue is that Chen has failed to see the business side of things, and is trying to rally the troops to make a business sell a product that no one wants besides the vocal few, who might already even own one.

Instead of being a baby, he could of thought of ways or even spoken with Legere directly to try and "work things out" and maybe put out a good offering that works for both parties.

This is business. No one gives a **** if your product isn't wanted, and if it isn't making them money, you will be off the shelves fast. Chen should know this. He was hired because BB is FAILING and in an awful position right now.
    JeepBB, Drew808 and milo53 like this.
    02-18-14 07:45 PM
    No, it's not an issue. Do you think T-Mobile just decided to give BB the big FU and stop selling for no reason? They have probably had horrible results with offering BB10 devices on their network, and since T-Mobile is a "bring any device to our network" carrier, they know you can go out and buy one directly from BB if you really want it.

The bigger issue is that Chen has failed to see the business side of things, and is trying to rally the troops to make a business sell a product that no one wants besides the vocal few, who might already even own one.

Instead of being a baby, he could of thought of ways or even spoken with Legere directly to try and "work things out" and maybe put out a good offering that works for both parties.

This is business. No one gives a **** if your product isn't wanted, and if it isn't making them money, you will be off the shelves fast. Chen should know this. He was hired because BB is FAILING and in an awful position right now.
    OMG.... Now you're smarter than John Chen. Stop it.
    02-18-14 07:56 PM
    Keep talking about Chen and I'll send you off to armchair CEO. You don't wanna go there LOL
    02-18-14 08:00 PM
    Keep talking about Chen and I'll send you off to armchair CEO. You don't wanna go there LOL
    Bwahahahahaha!!! Oh wait...
    02-18-14 08:06 PM
    Legere is in the business of making money.
    So what exactly stops me from getting this iPhone for $600 (at a $48 discount,) unlocking it, and going to AT&T or a prepaid carrier?
    02-18-14 08:17 PM

I mostly agree. Tmo doesn't "like" the iPhone more than it likes BB devices. It like profitability enhancing stock. While Tmo could probably have laid out a better plan here, I don't fault it for, on the surface, making a business decision.

But., on the flip side, if BBRY's fortunes are at a really bad place with Tmo, what does JC have to lose by rallying the troops? I highly doubt that fussing will change Tmo/Legere's mind so he might as well have at it .
    02-18-14 08:24 PM
    So what exactly stops me from getting this iPhone for $600 (at a $48 discount,) unlocking it, and going to AT&T or a prepaid carrier?
    If enough people did this, Tmo would have to re-think its policies. Do we (BB users/enthusiasts) have that type of consumer power? It's a tough question to contemplate.
    02-18-14 08:26 PM
    OMG.... Now you're smarter than John Chen. Stop it.
    This is my opinion, I never claimed to be smarted than Chen. I just think he could of handled it differently.

Nothing is stopping you. I'm guessing not many people are getting that $48 dollar discount?

Apple iPhone 5s | T-Mobile
    Last edited by avt123; 02-18-14 at 08:57 PM.
    02-18-14 08:40 PM

Maybe what you like are people who beat around the bush but fortunately others may differ with you. I personally like how John Chen has taken the bull by the horn. He has called a spade a spade and some how you think diplomacy is the better route? SMH. . Don't you think it is high time BlackBerry stood up and fought for what is right? Self denial never resolves anything; I suppose you must be in denial that the blackberry users in the USA are being hosed royally by their carriers. Its better to put up a good fight and move on than to pretend that everything is ok.
    If you disagree, kindly tell me what BlackBerry has got to lose if it severed ties with T-Mobile. The last time I checked, T-Mobile wasn't selling BB phones by the truck loads.
    canuckvoip likes this.
    02-18-14 08:45 PM
    ...The point is Chen has overreacted (to a stupid offer) by putting out an aggressive, unproductive public statement. He should have dealt with it calmly and professionally to further BBRY's business interests. ...
    I don't think he overreacted. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though. I think JC is just sending out the warning signal to any mobile carrier that attempts to do this will face the backlash of the blackberry (and crackberry) community. So, in my opinion, he is putting an end to carrier campaigns that may follow t-mobile's lead.
    canuckvoip likes this.
    02-18-14 08:46 PM
    It just seems like they could have made the same iPhone offer without having to throw BBRY under the bus in the process. Have they sent similar promotions calling out other handset makers? I doubt it.
    canuckvoip likes this.
    02-18-14 08:46 PM
    But., on the flip side, if BBRY's fortunes are at a really bad place with Tmo, what does JC have to lose by rallying the troops? I highly doubt that fussing will change Tmo/Legere's mind so he might as well have at it .
    I think it is because it is not T-Mobiles responsibility to screw themselves just to sell BB devices. We'll see what Legere does, I would think they will offer them now because of the BB fans, unless his team advises him not to. Maybe there is a bigger loss selling and trying to advertise the devices, than there is if they lost the customer all together.

Especially when in the US, BBs presence is microscopic besides Work/Government issued devices and BBM.
    02-18-14 08:54 PM
    Nothing is stopping you. I'm guessing not many people are getting that $48 dollar discount
    You're looking at their general prices. The discount (25x24, full amount due upon cancellation) is what was offered to those who got this email.
    02-18-14 08:56 PM
    You're looking at their general prices. The discount (25x24, full amount due upon cancellation) is what was offered to those who got this email.
    Again, nothing is stopping you. Maybe they don't think many will do this, and they will just leave. I'm not T-Mobile, but they did it and they must have a reason or maybe it was a mess up with the numbers.

How many BB users received that email?
    02-18-14 09:07 PM
    I find the entire exchange hilarious. Blackberry seems to make the news for the wrong reasons. (C) New York Times article, Marisa Mayer comments, LG obituary advertisement, and now this.

Sent from my  using Tapatalk
    JeepBB, avt123 and Drew808 like this.
    02-18-14 09:35 PM
65 123