Ok, my friend and I were having a debate. Say I switch my input language to Russian, which doesn't use the english type which I have on my keyboard. If I switch the input to Russian, and type for example "how are you?" On my english keyboard,will it auto translate it to Russian, or will it just type whatever character is assigned to that key? Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-08 05:11 PM
    Bump..........

06-23-08 05:59 PM
    Does anyone know?

06-24-08 09:55 AM
    Ok, my friend and I were having a debate. Say I switch my input language to Russian, which doesn't use the english type which I have on my keyboard. If I switch the input to Russian, and type for example "how are you?" On my english keyboard,will it auto translate it to Russian, or will it just type whatever character is assigned to that key? Thanks.

good question...if BB makes Russian devices I would guess the language support would be for russian keyboards therefore if u press "A" you may get a foriegn character....if they dont make russian phones maybe it just turns the output language of the device to russian. Good question
    06-24-08 09:58 AM
    Thanks. I hope we find out.

06-24-08 02:14 PM
    It will not auto-translate. At best it will do character translation. It ain't majik! Pity.
    06-24-08 02:17 PM
    Ok thanks. That's what I thought. Just wondering, is there key caps available if you wanted to type in another language?

06-24-08 04:15 PM
    I am sure that other keypads exist. I have seen references relating to non-QWERTY keyboards but I have never actually seen one.

These must be made by RIM so I would think that a call or email to them may get you an answer.

If they do not exist, then you may just have a new business opportunity before you.
    06-24-08 04:26 PM
    Ha yeah. Maybe I will email them. Now it is just one of those things that I feel I need to know. Thanks.

06-24-08 07:46 PM
    About three months ago, I spent a couple of hours with a user whose child had changed the input language to something (we never figured out what) that used an alternative alphabet. He could not recognize any words on the menus. We finally decoded it when I guessed that date and time numerals might be the same in that language. He could find options by using the icon, so then he tried every entry until he came to a screen that obviously had date/time info, then worked his way back to the language input selection. After we got it back to English, I suggested he delete the additional languages...
    06-24-08 08:25 PM
    About three months ago, I spent a couple of hours with a user whose child had changed the input language to something (we never figured out what) that used an alternative alphabet. He could not recognize any words on the menus. We finally decoded it when I guessed that date and time numerals might be the same in that language. He could find options by using the icon, so then he tried every entry until he came to a screen that obviously had date/time info, then worked his way back to the language input selection. After we got it back to English, I suggested he delete the additional languages...
    wow...that had to suck Jeff..how long did it take Jeff??
    06-24-08 09:32 PM
    Over two hours! It was after midnight, and the guy had to catch an early flight the next morning. He was frantic.
    06-24-08 09:34 PM
    Wow. I don't speak anything other than English, but for some reason, I like the way the Russian letters look. I also like to text people in random languages to say thing that I may not want them to read

06-24-08 10:31 PM
    Way to go Jeff, troubleshooting into the wee hours of the morning.... your hooked.
    06-24-08 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD