Hi,

Has anyone written a How-To about safely and securely migrating from one Blackberry to another? The end-game being your new Blackberry with all your messages/contacts/data working exactly as the old one, and the old Blackberry completely clean, disconnected and safe to sell on eBay or similar?

Specifically I am concerned with:

What happens to BBM contacts? If they have added me using PIN, is there a risk they will inadvertantly end up messaging the new owner of the 'old' handset? Will I be able to message my contacts from my new PIN? Are there any other applications that use PIN as the primary key? Can PINs be transferred, disabled, or forwarded?

How can I disassociate my BIS account from the old device to ensure it will not receive my future emails? How can I be sure there are no pending messages left in RIMs system that might get forwarded to the device with it's new owner?

How can I securely wipe (low level format) the Blackberry internal memory?

Thanks,
    Seb
    11-02-09 08:38 AM
    Hi,

Has anyone written a How-To about safely and securely migrating from one Blackberry to another? The end-game being your new Blackberry with all your messages/contacts/data working exactly as the old one, and the old Blackberry completely clean, disconnected and safe to sell on eBay or similar?

Specifically I am concerned with:

What happens to BBM contacts? If they have added me using PIN, is there a risk they will inadvertantly end up messaging the new owner of the 'old' handset? Will I be able to message my contacts from my new PIN? Are there any other applications that use PIN as the primary key? Can PINs be transferred, disabled, or forwarded?

How can I disassociate my BIS account from the old device to ensure it will not receive my future emails? How can I be sure there are no pending messages left in RIMs system that might get forwarded to the device with it's new owner?

How can I securely wipe (low level format) the Blackberry internal memory?

Thanks,
    Seb
    When you cut over to the new device (PIN) you restore your BBM contacts, and they appear in your new device's BBM. I just tried adding my old PIN as a BBM contact and it's showing pending. I suspect it'll time out eventually.

When you swap phones (on VZW at least) your BIS account follows your PIN, so any floating messages should hit your BIS on your new device.

Easiest way to low level wipe is with the device's security wipe feature. You can also use JL_CMDR, which will do the same thing.
    11-02-09 08:50 AM
    Or just password protect it and put in the wrong one as many times as needed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-09 01:15 PM
    When you switch devices (either with the Switch Device wizard, or by loading the BBM database manually), BlackBerry Messenger broadcasts an update to all of your contacts which automatically updates your PIN on your contacts' devices.
    11-02-09 01:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD