India granted limited BlackBerry Messenger access | Reuters

sorry if this is a report - pretty wild, I always thought the security was a major sell point in addition to the exch hookup, not so much anymore it would seem
    10-01-10 10:22 PM
    "I recall, Central Park in fall... when you tore your dress, what a mess..."

On topic: Ya, read that one too... not good.
    10-01-10 11:19 PM
    not good at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-10 05:56 AM
    I don't see what the problem is, this is gonna be targeted surveillance, in no way it's gonna be a general surveillance of the whole population. If they know a certain person that might be using bbm they could track it. There's now way they can monitor million of people at the same time.

10-03-10 08:18 AM
    It all boils down to money, RIM would rather give access to data than not be able to sell in India. I can't blame them really, they're a business. It sucks for the people there though.

10-03-10 10:02 AM
    We have manual access to the Messenger service. We want automated access and we are hopeful of getting it from January 1," G.K. Pillai, India's home (interior) secretary, ;...
    Finally, somebody to stand up and be quoted in India.

Although Mr. Lazaridis said RIM wouldn’t compromise the security of its products, he acknowledged the company would have to cooperate with authorities if handed a court order to do a lawful intercept of a person’s communications. "I would give them the encrypted stream," he said. "It would have to be like a wiretap."
    What they are getting is what the RCMP, US, European and Asian Law enforcement have always had available. The content can decrypted by any BlackBerry, including the Simulators that Software developers have always used.

"There are certain categories (monitoring of communication) where things are possible, there are certain categories where the same kind of interception is not possible," Telecommunications Secretary R. Chandrashekhar ...
    "We are going to continue to work with them to make sure they understand the reality of the Internet," he said. "A lot of these people don’t have Ph.Ds, and they don’t have a degree in computer science."

The real question is, how will India deal with the strong encryption issue?
    10-03-10 01:22 PM
    I don't see what the problem is, this is gonna be targeted surveillance, in no way it's gonna be a general surveillance of the whole population. If they know a certain person that might be using bbm they could track it. There's now way they can monitor million of people at the same time.

Hello Mr. Sheep, I'm Ms. Wolf.
    10-03-10 01:40 PM
    There's now way they can monitor million of people at the same time.

Wanna bet? The US has been able to do it for years and in real time.
    10-04-10 12:37 AM
    Hello Mr. Sheep, I'm Ms. Wolf.
    Hmmmmmmmm?
    10-04-10 12:46 AM
    Wanna bet? The US has been able to do it for years and in real time.
    Not very successfully, what exactly did achieve?

10-04-10 01:23 AM
    Considering we are talking about spy programs used by the FBI, CIA, NSA and NSI, I hope the successes are secretive, though I'm in no means a supporter of the programs. You can start here BFD:

Carnivore, Einstein, Tempest and Echelon

INTELLIGENCE ESPIONAGE AND TERRORIST NEWS
    10-04-10 04:58 AM
    That's so unbelievable inefficient, they can tap all they want, it will never be a replacement for agents.

Let's say I'm a criminal or terrorist and I want to communicate via email to another one, I could send 1000 emails with different information but only one has the right information. How will they ever sniff the right one? It's a joke if you ask me, and. It's just wasting tax money, internet is full of criminal activity after all and all that tapping is not stopping it. Just think how many new email accounts you can open in one day.
    What they're doing is only good for one thing, monitoring their own people.

10-04-10 05:28 AM
    Believe or disbelieve it all you want BFD. You seem to do both. We are talking about computing powers far beyond our imagination. I've seen what the NWS has, and it blew my mind. Can't argue the agent is always going to get you the best inteligence, but you have to point him somewhere to get it. I would consider the programs tools in a big belt.
    10-04-10 05:50 AM
    Believe or disbelieve it all you want BFD. You seem to do both. We are talking about computing powers far beyond our imagination. I've seen what the NWS has, and it blew my mind. Can't argue the agent is always going to get you the best inteligence, but you have to point him somewhere to get it. I would consider the programs tools in a big belt.
    All those programs assume the criminal/terrorist to be stupid

Reality is there has to be a balance somewhere.

Regarding blackberrys though, some countries seem to complain it's not secure enough (Germany) and others that it's too secure UAE and they can't monitor it. Which one is telling the truth?

Truth is any "respectable" criminal/terrorist will always have a secure line of communications, just like governments have.

Reminds me of one of the bourne movies where he was trying to save that journalist, they were monitoring everything but the payg phone bourne slipped in his pocket they couldn't, they didn't know the number for it.

10-04-10 06:08 AM
    I can haz regular font pls?
    10-04-10 08:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD