Before I start, I love the feature that checks the title of your thread with a possible thread that is similar. Just thought I'd say that.

Anyhow, as someone who "entered" the BlackBerry world with a Pearl, I've been with the phone using BB OS 4, 5, and now 6. And one thing I've never been able to figure out is the change in sounds, aka default ring tones, the iconic BlackBerry email notification, etc.

Now I think that a familiar sound is as comforting to many as that scent people smell when they come home after a long trip. Anyone know the story of Apple's start up note? Sosumi? Because computers were in their relative infancy, frustrations came to mind before reliability when talking about them, basically, they crashed often, they needed to be restarted often. Enter a talented Apple employee who created a sort of 'zen' like sound. Personally, I disagree with the zen attribute, but to each their own. Anyhow, after years, many, even non Mac users can instantly link that short tone to Apple.

Btw, as for the name of the sound, Apple had some legal issues with the Beatles and anything relating to music. When the creator suggested a "Chime" as the name for the sound, Apple lawyers were afraid from legal repercussions, so they objected. After some frustration, the sound creator said - So sue me! And along with Nokia's ringtone, the Apple's Sosumi has become one of the familiar sounds of today.

Anyhow, Apple aside, I brought up this thread to find out if there is anyone out there in agreement or think I've wasted their 2 minutes reading this so far (or somewhere in between)? I've watched a few shows where even though a character would have an iPhone, the Blackberry OS4/5 beeps would ring indicating an incoming text or email. (How I met your Mother is my favourite that comes to mind). I get that some people usually change their alerts, but I've noticed this to be a minority (around where I live at least). In the end, I would love to hear familiar BlackBerry beeps and alerts over "Hello Moto" (Which in my mother's language loosely translates to Hello fatty). I hate my OS6 beeps, I hate that it keeps changing in every OS (Not sure about OS 7). I think sound is important, it's 1/5 of our senses, and the only one that is alert all the time. It may seem inconsequential, but it's a marketing tool that RIM doesn't need to pay for.
    09-14-11 04:08 PM

This post is all over the place. Maybe I'm not getting it???
    IMO, the BlackBerry device is the most customizable as far as sounds/ringtones. There are thousands if not millions to choose from. If you're concerned about sounds/ringtones changing from OS to OS, you can always download and retain the selection of choice on your sd card and transfer to any future device at will.

If you're looking for something specific, try searching the forums. You did say that you liked that feature correct?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-ringtones-f15/

Let me know if I am missing the point.
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 09-14-11 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Spell Check.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    09-14-11 04:25 PM
    You can officially get the OS5 sounds for OS6, Get OS5 ringtones back on your OS6 BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com This is what I did when I first switched to OS6 as I was used to the OS5 notifications and wanted to keep them.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    09-14-11 04:29 PM
    You can officially get the OS5 sounds for OS6, Get OS5 ringtones back on your OS6 BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com This is what I did when I first switched to OS6 as I was used to the OS5 notifications and wanted to keep them.
    ^^Exactly^^
    I just don't get it.
    09-14-11 04:33 PM
    the iconic BlackBerry email notification
    What's "the iconic BB email notification"? Are you talking about a particular sound? If so, can't all BB users set their sound profiles so they hear whatever they want when an email arrives rather than a fixed, default "iconic" sound?? In my case, I have 3 email accounts tied to my BB and I hear a different sound for arrivals of each one. Maybe I'm missing something . . .
    09-14-11 04:46 PM
    I have some old BlackBerry sounds on my Android, Sonar and ChiGong. And Android has good sounds too. So I use a mix.

As far as the Apple Corp. lawsuit:
    Apple Corps Lawsuit

Not sure what that has to to with anything though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-14-11 at 04:53 PM.
    09-14-11 04:49 PM
    The sounds have never changed for me between OSes, but maybe its because I use Vibrate Only...

I'm glad the sounds are customizable. In the days of Nextel, their iconic chirp for Push to Talk could not be changed.We'd be sitting at a table at lunch and hear that chirp and it was like a gunfight at the poker table in an old western, with everyone reaching for their phone to see whose it was.
    09-14-11 05:34 PM
    An iconic sound? Notifier_Lightspeed.
    sam_b77 likes this.
    09-14-11 05:43 PM

This post is all over the place. Maybe I'm not getting it???
    IMO, the BlackBerry device is the most customizable as far as sounds/ringtones. There are thousands if not millions to choose from. If you're concerned about sounds/ringtones changing from OS to OS, you can always download and retain the selection of choice on your sd card and transfer to any future device at will.

If you're looking for something specific, try searching the forums. You did say that you liked that feature correct?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-ringtones-f15/

Let me know if I am missing the point.
    I do apologize, I have a tendency to go in circles. My point being is that with each iteration of the BlackBerry OS, there is a new ring tone for everything including a new email, text message, phone call. Whether people like to believe it or not, subtle reminders of a particular product do have an effect on people. If a BlackBerry owner of the original Bold went on to iOS or Android, he/she would be unfamiliar with the sounds of BB 6 or BB 7. That's free marketing lost on someone who could potentially return.

And yes Heavy Fluid...the Notifier_Lightspeed indeed
    12-02-11 12:10 PM
    All the way from OS 4.5
    12-02-11 12:16 PM
    All my non BB phones ALWAYS have the BB sounds which is something I have to have.
    12-02-11 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD