So I've been told a million times nobody cares about data compression anymore, I argued and argued for it, well now Apple just bought AlgoTrim, a company that specializes on data compression algorithms.

So, do you still think it's not important?
    08-28-13 02:04 PM
    I miss it every time my bill is due
    93Aero likes this.
    08-28-13 02:04 PM
    Except AlgoTrim doesn't work on the data compression you're actually referencing to. Their interests don't lay with saving you money on your data plan, their interests lay with being able to get better images and reduce processor usage which in turn saves you battery life.

AlgoTrim deals in all kinds of data compression, and promised to deliver imaging solutions that would deliver “modern computational photography” to mobile devices. Computational photography essentially uses sensors, computing, actuators, intelligent lights and other components to go beyond the current limitations of digital photography, which is based primarily on its analog, film-based precedent. The basic idea is to provide much more accurate images, with sophisticated lighting and vastly improved rendering by straying away from a strictly 2D, pixel-based model of image representation.

The work that AlgoTrim is doing in digital imaging could be very useful to Apple as a means to help the camera powers of its mobile devices jump to the next level. Not to mention that the rest of the company’s tech is generally useful, if extremely technical, in terms of helping to improve the overall operating efficiency of mobile devices. In essence, AlgoTrim focuses on getting more out of mobile processors while also chasing ever-lower power demands.
    08-28-13 02:11 PM
    I actually do miss having BIS. No matter what month I never worried about going over my data.

Now with my Z10 I have double the old data and am always worrying.

Posted via CB10
    fanisk likes this.
    08-28-13 02:46 PM
    Except AlgoTrim doesn't work on the data compression you're actually referencing to. Their interests don't lay with saving you money on your data plan, their interests lay with being able to get better images and reduce processor usage which in turn saves you battery life.
    Bingo. It's part if Apple's answer to Nokia PureView 2.0
    ajst222 and app_Developer like this.
    08-28-13 02:54 PM
    I can honestly say that, talking to people about data plans, no one cares about compression. Generally the customers on legacy BB who come in, when I explain how data compression worked and why they'll need more data on their new phone, are okay with it because they'll be able to actually do things they can't do now.

So I guess, since Apple bought them and it has nothing to do with data compression, the answer is still no, it's still really a non issue for the majority of the wireless buying public.

Tippy tapped from my iPhone 5, from me to you.
    08-28-13 03:02 PM
    The hint is at the beginning: AlgoTrim deals in all kinds of data compression.

Sounds to me like this is going to be the next buzz words "data compression" and "reducing the digital footprint" just in time for BlackBerry to miss it after leading it for many years.
    08-28-13 03:04 PM
    That sounds really neat...I'm not really an Apple fan, but that's definitely piqued my interest.
    08-28-13 03:06 PM
    I can honestly say that, talking to people about data plans, no one cares about compression. Generally the customers on legacy BB who come in, when I explain how data compression worked and why they'll need more data on their new phone, are okay with it because they'll be able to actually do things they can't do now.

So I guess, since Apple bought them and it has nothing to do with data compression, the answer is still no, it's still really a non issue for the majority of the wireless buying public.

How do you explain the existence of Onavo, Snappli and even Opera browser if no one cares?
    08-28-13 03:07 PM
    And I can't name a single person I know that uses any of them. Actually scratch that, a coworker had Onavo on her iPhone and couldn't use half the stuff she wanted to be able to use so uninstalled it. So there's one person in all the phone I see and tech support a day.

For the VAST MAJORITY it doesn't matter. Period.

You'll be happy to know I did sell a legacy BB curve last night. In a prepaid plan. With no BIS service, it was bought to be used as a text messaging phone. But it is the first legacy I've sold in a dogs age. It was also the last one in our store and there are no plans to bring in any more. Everything non BB10 is EOL.

bp3dots and web99 like this.
    08-28-13 03:12 PM
    I've actually never heard of Onavo or snappli....and didn't even know Opera Browser did data compression. Hmm learn something new everyday.

I don't think it's a big deal any more. Maybe if BlackBerry marketed that advantage possibly could be but I think many people are around wifi enough (speaking mostly for the US) to get around it.

For the first time ever I think I passed 2GB of data in a month so yeah I kind of miss it, but then again this browser on the Z10 is so much faster that I actually want to use it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Rello; 08-28-13 at 10:14 PM.
    08-28-13 03:40 PM
    I'm betting it's more a reaction to Google's push for a new video format, which recently rolled out to Hangouts.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    08-28-13 03:41 PM
    I can honestly say that, talking to people about data plans, no one cares about compression.
    I find different, but that could be a carrier/country thing. only earlier I was chatting to a friend who upgraded his phone recently, his comment was `I only got 750mb a month, but it should be ok because im on wifi a lot` now data compression would combat that.

Compression people may not say, but data useage? that's always been a concern, and the two things can (and seemingly do) go hand in hand.
    08-28-13 03:45 PM
    I'm betting it's more a reaction to Google's push for a new video format, which recently rolled out to Hangouts.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    or a very clever extension to their preload on push for ios7. that would make sense as its background data which in theory wouldn't be affected by speed of compression.

So many uses, im sure people will find out soon enough
    08-28-13 03:46 PM
    or a very clever extension to their preload on push for ios7. that would make sense as its background data which in theory wouldn't be affected by speed of compression.

So many uses, im sure people will find out soon enough
    If they do it right, people will probably never notice
    reeneebob likes this.
    08-28-13 04:14 PM
    How do you explain the existence of Onavo, Snappli and even Opera browser if no one cares?
    Opera has been pre-chewing the websites before delivering a downsized mobile version to your device... and even them has moved on and ditched their old machine.

Things were different before... slow links - not-so-smart devices... today - the phone is better than most desktops in rendering websites, and the links are faster than ever.

With todays technology, delivering a rich content, does not necessarily mean extreme data use, - if only the web developers had been a tad smarter with their designs, and sniffed out mobile browsers and customized the content... or allowed users to grab different versions of the same web. Many sites today unfortunately believes that your BB10 device is a full desktop, and therefore deliver the big-size web - and the device has to adjust instead... I guess both alternatives have positives and negatives...
    08-28-13 06:58 PM
    I would love data compression but not BBRY slow you down data compression. It would have to be seamless.
    pantlesspenguin and reeneebob like this.
    08-28-13 07:03 PM
    Matters to me ... I do not have an unlimited data plan ... just 400MB ... so do I care

Do not have FB, just my email accounts but I am always watching how many data I have left

I know many of you have excellent data plans, but not everybody =)
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    08-28-13 07:07 PM
    Matters to me ... I do not have an unlimited data plan ... just 400MB ... so do I care

Do not have FB, just my email accounts but I am always watching how many data I have left

I know many of you have excellent data plans, but not everybody =)
    Same, I care too! It's been 3 days since my plan reset and I've already used 132MB of the 500MB...
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    08-28-13 07:25 PM
    I've actually never heard of Onavo or snappli....and didn't even know Opera Browser did data compression. Hmm learn something new everyday.

I don't think it's a big deal any more. Maybe if BlackBerry marketed that advantage possibly could be but I think many people are around wifi enough (speaking mostly for the US) to get around it.

For the first time ever I think I passed 2GB of data in a month so yeah I kind of miss it, but then again this browser on the Z10 is so much faster that I actually want to use it.

Posted via CB10
    With my Z, my iPhone, and my SGIII CONSTANTLY running on the network (I only get WiFi at home) I hit 3 gigs for the first time ever. I tried streaming a bit just to see what would happen.

I usually just play my music on the Metro, since that's the only time I can really do it. Happy to see the charges were not excessive. Since I've got a 10G plan to see how I would settle with my devices, I've more than enough left. A couple of more months and I might drop it to a 6G family share plan.
    08-29-13 03:44 AM
    And I can't name a single person I know that uses any of them. Actually scratch that, a coworker had Onavo on her iPhone and couldn't use half the stuff she wanted to be able to use so uninstalled it. So there's one person in all the phone I see and tech support a day.

For the VAST MAJORITY it doesn't matter. Period.

You'll be happy to know I did sell a legacy BB curve last night. In a prepaid plan. With no BIS service, it was bought to be used as a text messaging phone. But it is the first legacy I've sold in a dogs age. It was also the last one in our store and there are no plans to bring in any more. Everything non BB10 is EOL.

I agree. My wife and I consistently use far less than our data plan, less than a gig per month. And the cost of data seems to be going downat a decent rate as well.

Posted via CB10
    reeneebob likes this.
    08-29-13 05:09 AM
    I seriously need data compresion. Can't opera mini bring their browser over to bb10 at least. My data goes lie crazy on my Z10
    08-29-13 07:30 AM
    I seriously need data compresion. Can't opera mini bring their browser over to bb10 at least. My data goes lie crazy on my Z10
    While doing the same things you did on legacy? Nothing more?
    08-29-13 07:36 AM
    While doing the same things you did on legacy? Nothing more?
    I want to have the option to compress data if I want to
    08-29-13 07:40 AM
    I agree. My wife and I consistently use far less than our data plan, less than a gig per month. And the cost of data seems to be going downat a decent rate as well.

Posted via CB10
    I've noticed that too. I'm paying fully half for what I paid on one grandfathered unlimited plan plus the three other devices I have, versus the new family plan, for data I'm consistently under.

I kept hanging on to my grandfathered and for me the new family plan is a much better option. I could actually drop an additional 20 bucks if I go to 6gig. But I'll stay where I am just a bit longer. And I'm using my devices for things I never used them before because my old BlackBerries could not come close to my experience on my Z.

Data prices are going down here, from what I'm seeing around me. I believe both Sprint and T-Mobile offer unlimited data plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 08-29-13 at 08:36 AM.
    08-29-13 07:51 AM
44 12