The only problem I have with Bbm is no way of blocking broadcast messaging that could be annoying! Or at least with certain individuals. Or completely. And make groups. Then it will be perfect

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 07:08 AM
    I understand what is PIN, but how you give this PIN to your contact? Send by SMS, email, tell via phone call? If so, then you have phone number or email of your contact

Anyway, today is no more care about phone number "privacy", this is paranoia

If you prefer to have separate contact list in BBM like "johny17747382" - you welcome

If you worried about your privacy - set up option "do not receive messages/phone calls from persons outside my contact list" to ON, but this is insane for communicate device - cut possible incoming contacts. I never afraid about my phone number.
    PIN numbers you don't have to SMS, email or anything like that. Unlike many kids of this modern age, many people still like to chat face to face and not always over phones. So you could possibly be talking to someone at work and say "hey add me to BBM my pin is _______" or with nfc sharing and pin bar codes people can scan the barcode if that's easier for you.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 07:30 AM
    STORM - iPhone Killer
    PlayBook - way better than a huge 10" iPad
    QNX - most streamline and powerful OS in the world, can run on a simple calculator
    BB10 - The new platform for BlackBerry and consumers
    BBM - not even release yet and it is worth $5B

I see potential, but BlackBerry has always had potential. They just never put enough into giving their products a true chance at success. Will BBM be the cross platform messaging system of the future with 500M users by then end of the year....? Who knows, but I wouldn't even guess until I've seen what BlackBerry has been able to create - just a messaging app, or an app that is fully integrated into both iOS and Android. We don't even know if Apple will even approve it......

But it has the same problem that BB10 had/has - no support, no real user base and it's coming from a Company that is floundering in a hurricane of their own making.
    09-10-13 07:39 AM
    PIN numbers you don't have to SMS, email or anything like that. Unlike many kids of this modern age, many people still like to chat face to face and not always over phones. So you could possibly be talking to someone at work and say "hey add me to BBM my pin is _______" or with nfc sharing and pin bar codes people can scan the barcode if that's easier for you.

Posted via CB10
    I currently have more 1000 contacts in my address book. Ask them about BBM? Why? I have their phone numbers already.

- hey man, give me your BBM?
    - what it is?

Remember - BB users less than 4%!!!

- call me
    - ok
    09-10-13 07:53 AM
    I currently have more 1000 contacts in my address book. Ask them about BBM? Why? I have their phone numbers already.

- hey man, give me your BBM?
    - what it is?

Remember - BB users less than 4%!!!

- call me
    - ok
    Why add people to Facebook then? Why add people on Instagram or twitter? It's different from a basic contact list. Also let's be honest you have 1000 Contacts but you can't say you chat to them all daily. So you wouldn't even care to add them all.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 07:56 AM
    I connect my contact list with Facebook, so I do not care about unique Facebook IDs
    09-10-13 08:07 AM
    I connect my contact list with Facebook, so I do not care about unique Facebook IDs
    But you have to add Facebook users. What about people not on Facebook? There is not always a clear cut solution to everyone's needs.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 08:18 AM
    Anyway - if I want to chat my friends, I use WA, Facebook, iMessage, Viber. I do not need to add them - all of them in my address book.

I can't imagine my FRIEND, that does not give phone number to me. Is it friendship, if you hide phone number from your friends?

BBM uses old technology for contact list.
    09-10-13 08:18 AM
    BBM, iMessage, whatsapp...use whichever one best meets your needs. Comparing the apps is like boys standing in a locker room comparing penises. Like, who really cares? I would like to think that the folks in Waterloo know what they are up against and what they need to do if they hope to have BBM installed by iPhone and Android users. It is the user who will decide, based on what each app can do, which works best for them and not just the fact that another app is available to them.
    AlexXF likes this.
    09-10-13 08:20 AM
    But you have to add Facebook users. What about people not on Facebook? There is not always a clear cut solution to everyone's needs.

Posted via CB10
    Once more - I do not need to call them with question "what is your Facebook ID". All information can be retrieved from my address book. Understand?

If some of my friends does not have Facebook, he/she have WA or Viber or iMessage or just a phone number where I can call/SMS
    09-10-13 08:21 AM
    Anyway - if I want to chat my friends, I use WA, Facebook, iMessage, Viber. I do not need to add them - all of them in my address book.

I can't imagine my FRIEND, that does not give phone number to me. Is it friendship, if you hide phone number from your friends?

Just admit that you're drunk and troll off. So BBM is just a bad SMS client with a bad group function because it uses a seperate contact list? Ooooookaaaaaaaaay. My god.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 08:25 AM
    It is the user who will decide, based on the app's features, which works best for them and not just the fact that another app is available to them.
    Yep!!! But WhatsApp, Viber, iMessage does not required in some unique IDs, they shows - is possible to contact via this channel or not. And BBM only required to KNOW additional ID.

I forget when I've ask my contacts "is they have messenger XXX". All modern mobile messengers operate with address book, not oldish IDs
    09-10-13 08:26 AM

Really? By giving the user the CHOICE as to who to add? Frankly, I don't care for the fact that just because a user is in my contact list, he or she is automatically added to my messaging contact list because we are using the same app. Yes, I have the choice to engage them, and vice versa, but knowing we are in each other's favourites and choosing to "ignore" each other is like making eye contact with someone and then pretend not to have seen them. Give me the control to add who I want to.
    09-10-13 08:30 AM
    Just admit that you're drunk and troll off. So BBM is just a bad SMS client with a bad group function because it uses a seperate contact list? Ooooookaaaaaaaaay. My god.

Posted via CB10
    I do not want to use separate lists. It's true. This is why WhatsApp get success. And this is why BBM will fail.

After I switch to ios I've found that 95 percents of my old BBM contact list have WhatsApp, Viber messengers. So...
    09-10-13 08:31 AM
    This could have been a great idea a few years ago, maybe even last year, but now it's a little too late, IMHO.

Firstly, there are too many people who have given up on BBM and their Blackberries. A few years ago, everybody were on BBM. Now? There are plenty of posts and threads here describing how their BBM has turned into a ghost town.

Secondly: BBM isn't the only nor the best game in town anymore. (For my purposes for example, iMessage is better. For other people Kik or Whatsapp might be better.)
    Those other platforms have attracted lots of (former BBM) users. And once a person starts using something like iMessage or Kik, it's REALLY hard to lure them onto a different platform,,
    09-10-13 08:35 AM
    Really? By giving the user the CHOICE as to who to add? Frankly, I don't care for the fact that just because a user is in my contact list, he or she is automatically added to my messaging contact list because we are using the same app. Yes, I have the choice to engage them, and vice versa, but knowing we are in each other's favourites and choosing to "ignore" each other is like making eye contact with someone and then pretend not to have seen them. Give me the control to add who I want to.
    If you do not want to contact with someone - delete them from your address book or block them. For all of time I block only two contacts.

There is a choice - add users separate one by one or block unwanted. Second way easy. If you do not understand this, then you have small address book.
    09-10-13 08:35 AM
    If you do not want to contact with someone - delete them from your address book or block them. For all of time I block only two contacts.

There is a choice - add users separate one by one or block unwanted. Second way easy. If you do not understand this, then you have small address book.
    So you have blocked only 2 people and never deleted a single contact ever? If all these years you have never deleted a contact? So good old jimmy that you added to Facebook when you were in grade 9 class together but haven't seen him since...you keep that person?

So you have 1000 or more contacts on your phone that you keep in constant communication with on a daily basis?

Many people like clean contact lists and keeping good old jimmy who you haven't seen or spoken to or cared about since that one semester in grade 9 is easily deleted for many people.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 08:45 AM
    Cross platform BBM will help to migrate to other platforms without lost connection to current BB users, but after migration you'll learn other messengers, and BBM will die for you... Because it have 4% of all market. It will not grow, believe.

Currently BBM looses about 4-5 millions of users per quarter.

This is a destiny.
    09-10-13 08:45 AM
    Again, you are forgetting something... It's not a matter of having 19 out of 20 people on a supported platform. Those 19 people MUST download BBM to even make your scenario work...

But you're telling me to send some messages through BBM and now to send another set of messages normal text in a different app. So, now you've got me using two different apps and this is supposed to be better for everyone, let alone myself???? ...and I have to remember which contact uses which app and then keep duplicated contact data. This sounds very broken.

I can use iMessage to send to any device... it may be dumbed down to SMS depending on the software at the other end but it's completely transparent to both parties. They receive the message and I receive the reply and life goes very smoothly. I don't need to download a second app (nor do they) to communicate.

Ummm... if someone starts a group message in iMessage then all the groups numbers are listed there. I reply and it goes back to all of those people, as well. I don't need to hunt down the numbers of the other participants, I don't need to add them, etc... it just works.

Newer Android phones support group SMS, too... so it's only older devices that would have trouble with group chat.

As far as my usage, it does... as I said, it dumbs down to SMS for some recipients but it works when I want to send a message to ANYONE capable of receiving text messages. I don't have to worry if they have BBM on the other end or ask them to download it for duplicated functionality.

Incorrect. You can ONLY have chats with iPhone and Android users if they purposely download BBM and use it... and as you've already highlighted, the best case scenario is that I would have to send some messages via BBM and then others via text/iMessage. Why would I do this again????

No with iMessages I can chat with iOS, Android, BB, webOS, dumb phones, etc... whether the transport used is iMessage or SMS is irrelevant. I get the job done communicating with EVERYONE and no one needs to download anything new.

Until BBM can be used to send messages to everyone that doesn't have BBM or until the day that BBM support is automatically integrated into every device shipped, then NO. I'm not going to ask all my friends, family, and work associates to download a separate app JUST to chat with ME. No matter how great BBM is, if it can't be used to send messages to EVERYONE at once then it's a step back... It's like the early 90's and having to use AIM for some people and ICQ for others, etc...

If I could install BBM and use it just like I use iMessage then that would be one thing but you've already illustrated why I can't. I'm sure BBM will be useful and gain traction in specific areas butit's only real chance is to gain ground among people that are already using a 3rd party app for specific reasons.
    You are arguing for every single reason why BBM is ridiculously superior to iMessage and you don't even realize it. iMessage is nothing more than texting between iPhones, period. How can you begin to compare that to the features that cross platform BBM will offer? You won't have to ask your friends and family to download, they'll be asking you cause you'll be late to the party.

Verizon Q10...posted from Philadelphia
    mphillips828 likes this.
    09-10-13 08:46 AM
    Choice is necessary and if you don't want choice then you definitely found your right solution with your iSheep products. For the majority of the people, they like choice.

Apple is learning that people like choice which is why today they will be launching a 5C with multiple colours. Also why they added the ipad mini. Not every one wants the same things and BBM gives people another option.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 08:47 AM
    So you have blocked only 2 people and never deleted a single contact ever? If all these years you have never deleted a contact? So good old jimmy that you added to Facebook when you were in grade 9 class together but haven't seen him since...you keep that person?

So you have 1000 or more contacts on your phone that you keep in constant communication with on a daily basis?

Many people like clean contact lists and keeping good old jimmy who you haven't seen or spoken to or cared about since that one semester in grade 9 is easily deleted for many people.

Posted via CB10
    It's your choice - delete or not. Only one reason to not delete contact - who knows, if this connection will be useful in feature. Now you 9 grade class friends, tomorrow it can be business contact.
    09-10-13 08:49 AM
    You won't have to ask your friends and family to download, they'll be asking you cause you'll be late to the party.

Verizon Q10...posted from Philadelphia
    All of my friends used Facebook to plan party
    09-10-13 08:51 AM
    So you want a version of BBM that lets you look up users by pin or email address/phone number.

The problem with that kind of frictionless use, and I'm talking about iMessage and WhatsApps and ______ else, is that while it's easy to sign in and use, it's just as easy to sign out and move on to a difference service. That's why there are so many of the same thing out there, and that's fine for the people it works for. I personally don't use them. Maybe when my daughters are teenagers I'll have to use stuff like that to communicate with them, but until then I'm good.

I think BBM is more sticky and with video/voice chat and screen sharing eventually, that would be an added value to give people a reason to say "here's my PIN... BBM me". Or put their QR code in their email sig, etc...

Just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it wont work for others. BBM is for the folks that don't hit the 'Like' button or use Facebook Connect to sign into sites.

That said... if cross platform is going to work, then I think a presence on the desktop PC needs to come, to complete the whole mobile computing platform. Imagine BBM'ing with your coworker with you on your phone and him on his laptop and saying "can you share your screen?" and have it actually work. There's a lot that needs to happen for that to work, but that would be pretty powerful stuff.
    09-10-13 08:55 AM
    So I read the OP's post, and skipped to the last page because all these pages in between will have the familiar refrain: fanboy rant, BBM sucks, Whatapps is better, so is Imessage, anybody who thinks BB is not dead is delusional....did I miss anything? Same crap in every thread on CB these days.
    09-10-13 09:04 AM
    So I read the OP's post, and skipped to the last page because all these pages in between will have the familiar refrain: fanboy rant, BBM sucks, Whatapps is better, so is Imessage, anybody who thinks BB is not dead is delusional....did I miss anything? Same crap in every thread on CB these days.
    You seem to have left out "guy who admits he did not read thread yet complains about everyone else's posts." Wait. . .I see what you did there. Very "Se7en" of you, John Doe.
    mphillips828 and Donvald like this.
    09-10-13 09:10 AM
218 ... 45678 ...