I can't wait for BBM to come to apple I have a ipad mini 4G on Verizon and there is no form of cross platform texting at the present. Most of the people I know have a smartphone so it will work out well for me.
    Facebook messanger, skype, hangouts, viber, just to name a few.
    09-09-13 10:31 PM
    That sounds like a marketing line... how do you suddenly have 100% of people running BBM so they can do it all with one app?
    I didn't write they'll all switch.
    09-09-13 10:49 PM
    Whatever the case, I'll be giving BBM Android a try. There are a few forumites I wouldn't mind connecting with.

The way I see it, it potentially makes me a better communicator. Options are good, and it might compel the market leaders to improve.

Consumer wins!
    09-09-13 10:52 PM
    I didn't write they'll all switch.
    Jtfolden is doing the same thing with my posts trying to make it seem like BBM is useless unless everyone is using it otherwise you will need to use multiple messaging apps. I don't think he/she understands how it really would work.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 10:52 PM
    giving the massive number of android users - 900,000,000 with ~61.2% using Android 4.0 and above, 100,000 can't be an impressive number
    http://opensignal.com/reports/fragmentation-2013/
    http://gigaom.com/2013/05/15/google-...ces-activated/
    It is when you think they all had to be foolish enough to dl a fake
    09-09-13 10:58 PM
    I've got so many friends waiting for BBM on their iphones and Androids...however as I stated early since RIM re-branded to BlackBerry why not take this opportunity to brand yourself across every single iPhone and Android out there by losing the short formed of BBM and using the full name BlackBerry Messenger?

Posted via the best Keyboard in Existence my Mo Fo Z10
    09-09-13 11:08 PM
    Do they? Research firm Mobidia recently released a report that indicated actual, active user engagement of third party apps is not nearly as high as the downloads themselves would indicate. Supposed king of the third party apps, WhatsApp might reach as high as 40% of smartphone users in Brazil but well below 20% in China and 10% in the US.

Just as most BB fans have been arguing in these forums for months, people download a lot of apps but don't end up using them.
    So what's that stat supposed to say? 40% of brazilian smartphones have WhatsApp installed or that 40% of brazilian WhatsApp downloaders actually use the app? If I'm guessing right, you mean the first. You do realize how much 40% of all smartphones in a certain country users is? Even 20? And even 10? I think you can't even compare user engagement of instant messaging apps, especially WhatsApp, with other apps like let's say a random note talking app or a GIF animator. I can only speak for Germany right know, but I can assure you, a smartphone that doesn't have WhatsApp available here is absolutely dead. EVERYBODY uses it here, even aged people know and use it - it's like the first app you download here when you get a new phone, even for first time smartphone users. And WhatsApps most recent stats (>300M monthly users) absolutely reflect that. To come back to iMessage, it only runs on ~13% of all smartphones sold quarterly and globally, whereas WhatsApp runs on ~100% of them and BBM, as soon as it hits, on ~96%.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 11:10 PM
    One of the key things we blackberry users should do is embrace and make channels as vibrant as possible. We can make it just like instagram or facebook where everyone would feel the need to get on it for social networking. But it's up to us to make them feel missing out on it. This could infact bring more attention to bb. Instragram was solely on the iPhone and look at it now. I helped the platform grow and facebook made a killing (or still is) off of it.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 11:14 PM
    Usage cases is a key!

iMessage, WhatsApp used to low costs text messages. They use simply authorization, transparent contact list - it's enough to text. There is success!

BBM give group messaging (Facebook is better), give events for groups (Facebook is better)...

I do not see any reason to install BBM, if I have WhatsApp and Facebook installed on my iPhone.

Auditory is a key. If you do not have friends with BB - is there reason to install BBM ? No. If you have a friends with Windows Phone is there reason to use BBM? No.

So, where is benefit???
    09-09-13 11:31 PM
    Usage cases is a key!

iMessage, WhatsApp used to low costs text messages. They use simply authorization, transparent contact list - it's enough to text. There is success!

BBM give group messaging (Facebook is better), give events for groups (Facebook is better)...

I do not see any reason to install BBM, if I have WhatsApp and Facebook installed on my iPhone.

Auditory is a key. If you do not have friends with BB - is there reason to install BBM ? No. If you have a friends with Windows Phone is there reason to use BBM? No.

So, where is benefit???
    It's quite simple: it depends on the functionality and quality of the individual app. Facebook for example sucks big time. It's just clunky. Instagram is so successful because it's so light and easy to use. WhatsApp is so successful because it expands the functionality of SMS extraordinary and is for free and easy to setup. Twitter is so successful because it's so fast and easy to use and it's fun to follow celebs. Combine all of those + viral pictures (that means easily generating viral pictures and GIFs within the same app, not just sharing external sources) and Vine functionality in a sleek, light and easy to use app and you win over all of them - at least I see that chance. Will it come true? I don't really think so, at least not out of the gate. But generalizing as if BBM will just be a worse WhatsApp and Facebook with no installed base is more than shortsighted.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 11:43 PM
    Your biggest point isn't even iMessage...your talking about SMS...if iMessage goes down or someone doesn't have iMessage it sends a text...well yes it does send a text but you no longer are using the iMessage feature...and thats what this thread is discussing...iMessage vs. BBM...
    This thread is discussing the comparison of apps, since BBM apps are coming to iOS and Android. What does BBM fall back to when someone doesn't have BBM on the other end? Users are going to test and try apps out of convenience unless they have a very special case for it's usage. If someone downloads BBM and no one else is using it, or an extremely small number of friends then they are unlikely to stick with it.

BBM is going to have the same problem as the BB10 phones themselves, a compelling reason for people to switch from what they are using - whether it's iMessage or WhatsApp, etc...

there is a reason Whatsapp and these cross platform messaging solutions are so popular...and why people would rather use BBM or Whatsapp over texting people, but
    Popular is a relative term... you have a bunch of apps fighting for a particular piece of pie and once again BB is going to be late to the party.

WhatsApp Market Share: WhatsApp Dominates Downloads, Not Engagement | BGR

yes texting is reliable because every phone has it!
    Thank you, you just made one of my points...

But I am not saying you have to start sending two messages to bbm and sms...if none of YOUR friends have BBM then good for you...
    If even just SOME of my friends have BBM then it still requires duplication of effort. Yes, a subsection of Smartphone users will download third party apps and don't mind using two or more... but the vast majority would not download and use BBM just for one friend when the rest are using iMessage or SMS or even WhatsApp.

ultimately everyone will be using BBM anyways, so then you wouldn't need to text or anything, you just go to BBM.
    Do you REALLY think BBM is going to take over and become the new messaging standard across all devices? That's a lofty goal for a app in a crowded market from a company that can't seem to execute properly.

Also yes for my scenario to work 19/20 people would need to download a FREE APPLICATION...but if you want to text then people can just text people...for your iMessage to work people need to purchase a super expensive device to use it.
    No people not only have to download it but they have to actively want to use it over everything else. *My* iMessage works no matter what someone has on the other end. I don't have to ask my friends to purchase or download anything. I don't have to trouble my friends any more than I have to ask them to download a special email app to receive my email - the services underneath may be different but it is seamless.

Can I download BBM and use it the same way? Even if I have no trouble giving up iMessage (both the app and the delivery service) can I then stick to BBM, including for SMS, so I don't need to rely on any other app?

The more likely scenario is that people already have Android or iPhones, and those who have Windows phone are SOL for the time being...if 15 of my friends go to BBM then lets say 5 don't...I create a group and those other 5 people have iPhones and Androids...I send them the link to download the FREE APPLICATION and they install it (seeing as its FREE) and now all 20 people are using BBM and they love it because of the added features over iMessage and SMS, and you can create a much better messaging experience.
    Do you really think that 75% of all phone users are going to just jump on BBM at release time and the other 25% you can just tell to download it?

If you or anyone ever use more than just one of the following: FaceBook chat, Whatsapp, SMS, iMessage, BBM, KiK, Google Hangouts, etc., then your solution is broken (according to you)...
    Actually, it's not... the end user really doesn't care about the service underneath. With iMessage I can reach 100% of the people that have a working mobile phone and they can reach me. If BBM can do that as well as providing all the other superior features on top of that then it sounds great but until BBM is ubiquitous then it's going to have an uphill battle. That's why it's silly to compare BBM to iMessage here... BBM is going to have to struggle for a tiny piece of the pie among all the other third party apps already in the category.

Sadly the solution is going to be broken no matter what as not 100% of people in the world will use the same messaging platform.
    We already have a 100% compatible platform which is basic SMS. Apps that improve and expand on that without making the end user sacrifice compatibility of the people they communicate with is the best for all involved.

This is why on desktops you had a convergence of IM apps that handled multiple services... This is why we each can use any email app we want and send mail to anyone else even if they're using a different service...

Some will use FaceBook Chat, others like BBM, others like iMessage...if I like BBM, but others don't have it then its broken, if YOU like iMessage but others don't have iPhones then it converts to a text and thats a broken solution.
    Once again it's not a broken solution because my messages still reach the intended party. I don't have to use a secondary SMS app to reach someone and NO ONE has to use iMessage to reach me.

What will you do when 50% of your friends, family, work colleagues are on BBM and out of the other 50%, 25% are on iPhones, and 25% are on Android. So you can only iMessage 25% of people as 50% are using BBM, and the other 25% will be text messages since they are on android...
    None of that theoretically effects me as 100% of them are still reachable directly from my iMessage app - it doesn't matter what they are running. The iPhone people won't care as they can message everyone, the Android people using SMS won't care as they can message everyone - only the people using BBM will have to juggle two messaging apps in your scenario.

if you go to BBM then others will and soon you will have all 100% on BBM. (This may not be specific to you, but could happen with many people in the world who miss their BBM, and will gladly return to it as their daily messaging driver)
    This will never happen unless you have other hardware vendors bundling BBM with their phones as the default messaging app and in order to be the default BBM would have to handle SMS, as well, even if it's just as a bridge until BBM would become universal. When that happens then we can talk about it more seriously as the game has changed entirely. Do you think BB has the resources to make that happen?

If BBM could be a drop in replacement where you lose NONE of your existing benefits and gain the extra features then it might finally stand out.
    ..until then it's just competing with WhatsApp, Line, etc... and not iMessage or any other default text feature on a phone.

Finally...again to the iMessage AWESOME solution you talk about...you may not notice the break, but to the receiver they have to use their SMS App, and then they may also use Whatsapp to talk to others using Whatsapp. So they have to open their Text Messaging, read and reply, then close and open Whatsapp to read and reply to someone else's message. So it kind of sounds selfish to say its seamless and awesome, because you are just thinking about your experience on your iPhone, and not realizing that people on other devices will be getting texts, but Whatsapp or BBM are on iPhone, Android and BlackBerry so everyone could just use that single app and never need to rely on SMS again, where BBM has more features people would like.
    You're sounding like a fanboy now... I'm sticking to using a standard, SMS, which is GOOD for everyone until a better one comes along. When talking to other iPhone users we have the extra benefits of iMessage but it doesn't effect anyone else at all. If I were to install BBM and then go around pushing my friends and family and co-workers to use it regardless of what they enjoyed, JUST to talk to me then that would be selfish and I didn't have to do that with iMessage. Virtually NO ONE that does any amount of messaging using a third party app is ONLY using that third party app (unless it's just a fancy SMS/MMS app). They're still using SMS right along with it. Your premise is flawed because BBM (and a lot of other apps) don't complete the picture. It's not bringing anything new to the conversation, it's just adding more fragmentation.
    09-09-13 11:53 PM
    But generalizing as if BBM will just be a worse WhatsApp and Facebook with no installed base is more than shortsighted.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. It will be worse. Just text messaging and groups chat.

I want to answer OP, why peoples compare BBM and iMessage - usage cases!!!

Because most of all does not care about BBM features. Most of all used messengers as SMS replacement. There is a key.
    richardat likes this.
    09-09-13 11:56 PM
    BBM (and a lot of other apps) don't complete the picture. It's not bringing anything new to the conversation, it's just adding more fragmentation.
    +100500!!!
    09-10-13 12:40 AM
    BBm has always BEEN and will remain the king
    09-10-13 02:22 AM
    Bbm started is great journey and bbm channel will take it to next level
    09-10-13 02:23 AM
    As an iPhone user I see no reason to install bbm. With apps such as Line, Viber, Kik and Whatsapp, bbm no longer relevant. If bbm would have been released 1-2 years earlier my decision would have been different. Unfortunately there are cross platforms apps that are much better. Just look at whatsapp, it is on every platform
    AlexXF likes this.
    09-10-13 03:10 AM
    I cant believe people still swallow everything BB promises...without having even seen the product and with such a terrible history of execution.
    i think this guy said it all..

Every product annoucement is a fail because the product never come out in time... that's why i leave blackberry. They show you what you want, and then you have to wait to see every competitor make a better product, AND THEN blackberry put the product on the market...

For example BBM, i can't even remember when they announce the iOs and Android app...
    09-10-13 03:16 AM
    Viber and whatsapp uses one's phone number. What if I don't want that contact to know of my number? This is where bbm will win the hearts of many.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 4
    09-10-13 03:19 AM
    For example BBM, i can't even remember when they announce the iOs and Android app...
    March 2011

http://bgr.com/2011/03/03/exclusive-...droid-and-ios/
    09-10-13 03:31 AM
    Viber and whatsapp uses one's phone number. What if I don't want that contact to know of my number? This is where bbm will win the hearts of many.

If you do not want to share phone number or email address, then how you provide your bb id to contacts? What connection channel you use for?

Please provide usage case for that. Otherwise this is a chit-chat only.

There is a skype, if you do not want to provide phone number.
    09-10-13 03:36 AM
    Great post OP!

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 03:37 AM

Kik and Skype are on all platforms. Honestly I don't see that niche bbm fills anymore...
    09-10-13 04:02 AM
    You guys are misunderstaning the issue where comparisons are made between imessage and whatsapp or bbm and sms messages.

Maybe in north america and ith3r developed countries, the seamless aspect of imessages has little impact as it will default to sms when necessary. However this seamlessness is a problem for those whi do not have an sms mobile package or free sms. This does not take account if internatiol texting which through sms is expensive for many and restricted.

The use of cross platform messaging means free international texts, free picture messaging, unlimited messages etc all for the cost of an internet package which is usually cheaper.

This is the reason for the popularity of bbm in developing countries. With the rise of whatsapp and other competing im solutions that can be used in cheaper phones the use of bbm is dying in those markets.

Comparing imessage with bbm without taking the financial element into the discussion is simplistic and shortsighted and ignores the disadvantages of imessgae beyond its value in certain markets.

Bmm, whatsapp, skype, Facebook chat, yahoo etc didnt just become popular because of their features, but mainly due to costs as compared to texts at the time. The world is bigger than the US.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-10-13 05:36 AM
    If you do not want to share phone number or email address, then how you provide your bb id to contacts? What connection channel you use for?

Please provide usage case for that. Otherwise this is a chit-chat only.

There is a skype, if you do not want to provide phone number.
    Have you never used BBM? There are things called "PIN" and those pins can be shared to others. Meaning no sharing or no one knows your phone number.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 06:29 AM
    Have you never used BBM? There are things called "PIN" and those pins can be shared to others. Meaning no sharing or no one knows your phone number.

Posted via CB10
    I understand what is PIN, but how you give this PIN to your contact? Send by SMS, email, tell via phone call? If so, then you have phone number or email of your contact

Anyway, today is no more care about phone number "privacy", this is paranoia

If you prefer to have separate contact list in BBM like "johny17747382" - you welcome

If you worried about your privacy - set up option "do not receive messages/phone calls from persons outside my contact list" to ON, but this is insane for communicate device - cut possible incoming contacts. I never afraid about my phone number.
    09-10-13 06:48 AM
218 ... 34567 ...