Can you explain - what is in PHONE screen sharing?

Any usage case instead of carrier support.
    09-10-13 09:13 AM

Here's one example. Carrier support? I don't know about that, but if I had users on BB10 I would be using this to solve all those problems that iPhone users have setting up accounts remotely, all while being able to see their screen and walk them through things. I can't think of any equivalent feature on other platforms.

The big two would probably never allow it, but if the video chat / screen sharing made it into the Android / iOS versions... that would be a pretty big game changer.

09-10-13 09:26 AM

09-10-13 09:29 AM
    So, only one usage case - "please help me setup my phone", right?

Very useful feature
    09-10-13 09:31 AM
    Oh, no! Share screen to see pictures

Yep, killer feature! LOL

How I live without phone screen sharing before?
    09-10-13 09:37 AM
    Just saying... you aren't going to find that anywhere else.

It IS a very useful feature, isn't it!
    09-10-13 10:00 AM
    All of messenger features must means user benefit to grow.

Example - text chat = zero costs SMS (if there exists recipients)
    Example - VoIP = low costs/free voice call (if there exists recipients)

Other - means nothing.

I remember playbook, "iPad killer". For 3 years sold about 3 millions devices. Great hardware, next gen OS, flash powered browser, bridge killer feature - no one care about this.

3 millions only!!!! 80 millions BB users ... and 3 millions devices sold.

I remember broken promises about playbook. Now time for broken promises on BBM - no voice (this is real benefit feature), late 2013... Ha ha ha! Do you believe in that?

Next promise - 200 millions of BBM users. Huh, "iPad killer", "tablets is dead", yep?

My calculation is simple - 80 millions in best case (ex-bb users). But BBRY will calculate by downloads, yes? Plus current BIS users/all BB ID registered, not for online users.

Wait for 27 September - there will be interesting. I guess - z30 will be cancelled, company sold, all promises delayed "with hard decision", but we're alive!!!

I do not understand fanboys - all signs is here, but anyway BBM rulezzz

BBM is only another messenger, without any feature at current moment. No users benefits, no evolution, no modern features. Ghost town - is the best description for BBM contact list.

You're compared it with iMessage? Why? iMessage not cross platform, this benefit for iPhone users only. Correct comparison is WhatsApp or Viber.

WhatsApp exists on all platforms, Viber offer VoIP solution right now. What offer BBM now? Nothing!
    09-10-13 10:01 AM
    Oh, no! Share screen to see pictures

Yep, killer feature! LOL

How I live without phone screen sharing before?
    You must be very simple minded if you think that this is the only use for this feature. Everyone here knows that Apple will implement it one day and say they invented this technology and you and all your iSheep friends will believe them and think it's the greatest feature to ever exist (because apple says so).

Screen Share has a lot of great and useful functions. From personal use to business use it is a great feature. If I'm working on something, an email or open a document from my phone. I can screen share with someone I work with and show them the document and discuss it while we both look at it. Its like being in front of the person with the document. Very useful! Family and friends can video chat and if I'm babysitting my nephew and he's doing something I would like to show my brother in real-time I can show him and he can watch his son playing.

Many more reasons this is an amazing feature. You will realize it when Apple tells you it's good.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 10:07 AM
    You must be very simple minded if you think that this is the only use for this feature. Everyone here knows that Apple will implement it one day and say they invented this technology and you and all your iSheep friends will believe them and think it's the greatest feature to ever exist (because apple says so).

Screen Share has a lot of great and useful functions. From personal use to business use it is a great feature. If I'm working on something, an email or open a document from my phone. I can screen share with someone I work with and show them the document and discuss it while we both look at it. Its like being in front of the person with the document. Very useful! Family and friends can video chat and if I'm babysitting my nephew and he's doing something I would like to show my brother in real-time I can show him and he can watch his son playing.

Many more reasons this is an amazing feature. You will realize it when Apple tells you it's good.

Posted via CB10
    I will share document and discuss it, without screen share. Sharepoint, did you know this corporate solution? Or Confluence? No clients required.

You're lost in Jurassic period.
    09-10-13 10:10 AM
    I will share document and discuss it, without screen share. Sharepoint, did you know this corporate solution? Or Confluence? No clients required.

You're lost in Jurassic period.
    I wasn't going to wade into this, but there are compelling reasons to use bbm, just as there are reasons to use the others. If not, bbm would have zero users. I love the D and R, the group calendar is excellent. I am a stay at home mum, should I buy a sharepoint license to screen share with my husband? Of course not. Bbm is free. Text messages here cost $0.25 each without a plan, and text plans are extra. Mms and international text are even more. So I'm not a huge SMS fan.

Long story short...do I think everyone will download bbm and it will supplant all other messengers? Of course not. Do I think many people will download it and it will provide utility to them? Definitely. For what it's worth, all my non-bb contacts are going to be downloading it as soon as it comes out.
    collinc93 likes this.
    09-10-13 10:26 AM
    I LOVE BBM, I've been wanting BBM cross platform for YEARS and I was always told that it would never ever ever happen. I was called a troll and loads of other lovely things.

Can't wait for BBM on my iPhone and my SGIII and when it's launched, on my Note 3.
    Chris Marsch likes this.
    09-10-13 10:28 AM
    I do not want to use separate lists. It's true. This is why WhatsApp get success. And this is why BBM will fail.

After I switch to ios I've found that 95 percents of my old BBM contact list have WhatsApp, Viber messengers. So...
    Want to hear something great btw? I - as opposed to you - barely use any contact lists at all. Because firstly I have open chats over different channels aggregated within BBRY HUB and secondly all those channels are linked to their respective contacts within the native contacts application, which, again, I barely use at all. I can't remember the last time I opended my contacts application...it's just not necessary. I just go the HUB and continue an already established chat, or I hit compose > channel > contact for a new one. BBRY at its best I think.

Posted via CB10
    mphillips828 and seemsixty7 like this.
    09-10-13 10:30 AM
    Want to hear something great btw? I - as opposed to you - barely use any contact lists at all. Because firstly I have open chats over different channels aggregated within BBRY HUB and secondly all those channels are linked to their respective contacts within the native contacts application, which, again, I barely use at all. I can't remember the last time I opended my contacts application...it's just not necessary. I just go the HUB and continue an already established chat, or I hit compose > channel > contact for a new one. BBRY at its best I think.

Posted via CB10
    You bring up a great point! I just realized when you mentioned that...I never ever look at my contact list...my HUB integrates everything into one! So convenient and easy! Maybe AlexXF has never tried BB10 so he doesn't understand the simplicity of this OS. For iOS he iMessages/SMS people...but then has to jump around the OS and folders to access Whatsapp, FaceBook and others...BB10 just swipe up and to the right anywhere in the OS to access HUB which you can compose and reply to any message platform you choose!

Great point!
    seemsixty7 likes this.
    09-10-13 10:46 AM
    So, it is not corporate? Yes?

Okay. What you have now (without BBM):

Outlook.com -- events, tasks, calendars (all platforms)
    Google - calendars, events
    Facebook - great calendar features, BBM is not competitor, this is child. Send invitations, see online who is accepted invitation, plan map, link to route...
    WhatsApp -- group chat by request, no need to invite members to group, waiting for accept

There is 1000+1 online solutions, right now and here.

Yes, BBM is great for small communities like a family, but is not important. Most of all functions not great than in separate solutions (calendars, task lists, social connections). Time for BBM is over! It will be great to see cross platform BBM when it was been announced at first time (March 2011), but now too late.
    09-10-13 11:03 AM
    You have to remember that most of the people who buy iPhones really don't want to have to do anything. They want it easy. Whatever app is pre-installed for messaging is what they use. It's like pulling teeth to get my iPhone friends to install Google Hangouts. You'll have the same issue with BBM. On Android you'll have more of a chance but eventually Google will even make Hangouts it's SMS client which means no separate SMS app like there is currently. The only difference will be that people on iOS can also install Hangouts which could get some Apple people who have enough friends to install the app. Apple will never release iMessage to Android. BBM has an uphill battle and I'm not sure people on BB realize the world has changed. Maybe if BB this this 3 years ago. But not now.
    09-10-13 11:08 AM
    You bring up a great point! I just realized when you mentioned that...I never ever look at my contact list...my HUB integrates everything into one! So convenient and easy! Maybe AlexXF has never tried BB10 so he doesn't understand the simplicity of this OS. For iOS he iMessages/SMS people...but then has to jump around the OS and folders to access Whatsapp, FaceBook and others...BB10 just swipe up and to the right anywhere in the OS to access HUB which you can compose and reply to any message platform you choose!

Great point!
    Common! Don't tell me about trashcan named 'hub'. I'm developer with LE and crystal bb award.

There is no difference between hub and ios notification center.

I have Z10, both dev alpha (b and c), q10. So I can compare ios vs bb10. It's a same instead of good apps lack/ecosystem.

iOS is great by their ecosystem - MacBook/iPad/phone/desktop works together. But this is not a theme for current discussion
    09-10-13 11:10 AM
    So, it is not corporate? Yes?

Okay. What you have now (without BBM):

Outlook.com -- events, tasks, calendars (all platforms)
    Google - calendars, events
    Facebook - great calendar features, BBM is not competitor, this is child. Send invitations, see online who is accepted invitation, plan map, link to route...
    WhatsApp -- group chat by request, no need to invite members to group, waiting for accept

There is 1000+1 online solutions, right now and here.

Yes, BBM is great for small communities like a family, but is not important. Most of all functions not great than in separate solutions (calendars, task lists, social connections). Time for BBM is over! It will be great to see cross platform BBM when it was been announced at first time (March 2011), but now too late.
    Sorry, but your link to BGR is horrible...its according to "their" sources but with no proof and BlackBerry never mentioned ever that they were launching it cross-platform. So this can not be used as proof that they announced it because they never announced it. They announced it in 2013 and are launching it in 2013.
    09-10-13 11:13 AM
    I had insights at 2011 - work for cross platform BBM begins at 2011, it's true. But it was cancelled due to afraid of lost all device sales
    09-10-13 11:15 AM
    excellent point, I've had to set up iMessages on my Macbook so that I could more easily reach my friends and co-workers with iPhones, but I've noticed that some of my contacts never reply to an iMessage, but will always reply to direct text. My sister for instance never updated her iPhone 4 OS so I don't think she even has iMessages. I'm very much looking forward to BBM going cross platform as I am getting increasingly more frustrated with Google Hangouts, which has been 1) lagging as of late 2) keeps prompting me to join google+.

Sent from my DROID4 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-10-13 11:16 AM
    Interestingly, there seem to be a lot of people who feel that they can force their friends and associates to install BBM. I know how I would react if a contact of mine insisted on using a particular app to communicate with me.
    Savior4Life, Eric Ton and 21stNow like this.
    09-10-13 11:19 AM
    While BBM is a very effective and exceptional messenger and it will definitely be a sliver of BBRY that I hold onto when I opt for a competitors device after my Z10 runs its course there are a few of the phrases, as seen by the OP, that users cling to that make me cringe with BBRY. (ie.) "Once updated...", "When the next update...", "Wait for __________..." and so on.
    09-10-13 11:26 AM
    You have to remember that most of the people who buy iPhones really don't want to have to do anything. They want it easy. Whatever app is pre-installed for messaging is what they use. It's like pulling teeth to get my iPhone friends to install Google Hangouts. .
    I use BlackBerry, Android and iOS. ALL my friends use WhatsApp because it's the most popular cross platform app.

Just because your friends won't install Hamgouts doesn't mean they won't install other messaging apps. Perhaps they don't like Hamgouts or Google. But every last contact I have who uses iPhone is on WhatsApp. Which obviously did not come preinstalled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-10-13 11:33 AM

Just because your friends won't install Hang outs doesn't mean they won't install other messaging apps. Perhaps they don't like Hamgouts or Google. But every last contact I have who uses iPhone is on WhatsApp. Which obviously did not come preinstalled.
    No, they won't install it because there is only a few people they know who care if they use hangouts. The person just uses iMessage and it txts it to you as a standard SMS. On the iphone when they use iMessage it still looks nice. On Android it looks like an old school sms but why should he have to jump to a different app just for a few friends when standard SMS works just fine. If you have friends who choose to use whats app or something different than iMessage then that is a small sliver of people. All my friends have unlimited txt in their plans so it's not like they are going to save any money by switching. More people will be like my friends than yours. BB might get a few people not many unless they use a third party app already.
    09-10-13 11:51 AM
    iMessage is just iPhone to iPhone messaging, identical to SMS but with Blue Bubbles and the choice to have read and received there too...
    Sorry you lost me at this point. iMessage works on an iOS 5 and above device and including OS X. That is iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, MacBook's, iMac's, etc... Get your facts straight before posting.

BlackBerry has sold the keys to BBM a long time ago: Indian government now able to tap BBM messages | CrackBerry.com

Not so much for iMessage: Apple's iMessage encryption trips up feds' surveillance | Politics and Law - CNET News
    09-10-13 11:54 AM
    Just texting? lol did you not see all the additional features BBM has...and thats what it will have at LAUNCH...more and more will be added, where iMessage is stuck with just standard SMS-like features and look.

I will ask you a question...if you are watching a movie on VHS and at your home you have all your favourite movies on VHS and you think its perfect because it works for you, and you already have the movie you want...but then you come across Blu-Ray and find out all your favourite movies are on Blu-Ray which offer the same base feature (you get to watch your favourite movies) but it also allows you to see it in Hi-Definition, and offers special features, and just makes the viewing experience 100 times better...would you still stick with your VHS or migrate to Blu-Ray?
    BBM on iOS/Android looks like it will only have Texting, Voice Notes, and Picture Sharing. No Location Sharing, Contacts, Calendar. Nothing comparable to FaceTime, either. iOS integrates FaceTime and Twitter so I doubt these people are clamoring for Channels.

It compares equally poorly with Hangouts, which has similar base features but usurps it with group video calling and Google+ integration.

I see BBM on Android/iOS mostly as a hail mary to keep customers and give previous customers a way to stay in sync with remaining BB users, as well as a possible incentive to return. I don't think they expect to gain any BB10 users, or many completely new BBM users (outside of those that sign up and quickly stop using it) from apps released with such bare features.

And I'm not talking about gimmick features. These are features you get in any standard MMS client on a smartphone these days.
    09-10-13 12:09 PM
218 ... 56789