we'll find out soon enough if BBM will make a dent in the messaging market
    none of my friends (one ex bb user) will download it
    its my understanding that a fake one was on Google play and had over 100,000 downloads in a weekend before Google took it down.. If that is any indication I think it will be downloaded in mass. time will tell.
    09-09-13 04:25 PM
    Sorry OP but your post sounds like a fan boy rant.. Not that we're not all guilty of doing the same thing.. But not sure you know exactly what you're talking about. First and foremost, you are speaking of your experience on a BB device with BBM; you have not used nor have any idea exactly what the experience will be like or what the features will be on BBM for iOS or Android.

Second, iMessage is not just setup from the get go.. you do have to enable it, but it does prompt you during the initial phone wizard.. It's also not just iPhone, it's all iOS devices and Apple computers, so that your conversations are seamless and you can continue where you left off no matter what device you're on. Also, there's a huge difference in how it functions; SMS is over the cellular network (your green bulbbles), limited to 160 characters per message, with no confirmations and can be intercepted. iMessage has the delivery features, plus the photos and videos in an iMessage are of better quality than a text, and the messages are encrypted (for what it's worth).

Third, you mention BBM for a company to use. No. Not any company that is security focused anyways. You use Enterprise IM through BlackBerry, because it's processed by your internal BES5/BES10 servers. I wouldn't want to tell anyone to start having corporate related chit chat on a public IM platform, such as BBM or whatsapp. That data and those conversations should remain in house.

/twocents.
    Bsbudd, Henraay0623 and richardat like this.
    09-09-13 04:27 PM
    its my understanding that a fake one was on Google play and had over 100,000 downloads in a weekend before Google took it down.. If that is any indication I think it will be downloaded in mass. time will tell.
    yeah i heard about that, but 100,000, to me, is not impressive relative to how big BB users base and some ex bb users there are right now
    09-09-13 04:32 PM
    I'm looking at all this blackberry news and thinking what does all of this means to me. I'm now using a bold 9900 and there is no way I'm going to get another blackberry until I see that they will be around for some time to come. As it relates to BBM, I want to know if I'll still have to pay for bis in order to use BBM while the others on IOS and android get to use it for free.
    09-09-13 04:36 PM
    Sorry OP but your post sounds like a fan boy rant.. Not that we're not all guilty of doing the same thing.. But not sure you know exactly what you're talking about. First and foremost, you are speaking of your experience on a BB device with BBM; you have not used nor have any idea exactly what the experience will be like or what the features will be on BBM for iOS or Android.

Second, iMessage is not just setup from the get go.. you do have to enable it, but it does prompt you during the initial phone wizard.. It's also not just iPhone, it's all iOS devices and Apple computers, so that your conversations are seamless and you can continue where you left off no matter what device you're on. Also, there's a huge difference in how it functions; SMS is over the cellular network (your green bulbbles), limited to 160 characters per message, with no confirmations and can be intercepted. iMessage has the delivery features, plus the photos and videos in an iMessage are of better quality than a text, and the messages are encrypted (for what it's worth).

Third, you mention BBM for a company to use. No. Not any company that is security focused anyways. We use Enterprise IM through BlackBerry, because it's processed by our internal BES5/BES10 servers. I wouldn't want to tell anyone to start having corporate related chit chat on a public IM platform, such as BBM or whatsapp. That data and those conversations should remain in house.

/twocents.
    May be fan boy rant...but I don't think I am the only one who can tell that there is a major difference between iMessage and BBM. Yes also I am using BBM on BB10, so the experience is great, but the features on iOS and Android have also been announced and the leak of BBM for Android shows the experience to be identical to that of BB10, minus video chat, voice chat and Channel...The messaging and groups are all there, and thats what I said in my OP, I said it has those group chat and those features with more to come after launch.

I used iPhone's before so I understand how iMessage functions, and the seamless conversation across devices is a great feature forsure! Keeps your messages on all your devices which is great.

Finally, of course BBM and those features can be used in organizations with BES of course for security. I wasn't stating to have companies using personal BBM chats...like I said its work-related. Will be under BES10, but will allow for BBM Chats, Video and Voice calling as well, which can replace current solutions.
    09-09-13 04:36 PM
    So with BBM X coming possibly this week there is a lot of discussion about whether people will download the app, and whether people care about BBM anymore and all this good stuff...well I don't know if I am the only one to feel this way, so I will state it and please sound off and let me know what you all think.

I have read this from iPhone users..."why would I want to download BBM? BlackBerry is dying, its not good!" and "I have iMessage, I don't need BBM, iMessage is the same thing"

Well I see these comments and first of all, BBM is a service, and arguably the best messaging platform around. With cross platform BBM, and once all features are updated (video and voice) BBM will be much better than any other messaging client around. I believe down the road, BBM will overtake Skype for office conference technology. Companies will use BBM to chat among co-workers, and hold video conferences using BBM Video. Anyways I digress...BBM, people say they wont download because the perception of BlackBerry isn't good. This shouldn't be a deciding factor as BBM has many great features and offers better communication over Whatapp and iMessage!

Now the iMessage situation. I do NOT believe iMessage can ever be compared to BBM. iMessage is integrated into the messaging app on iPhones. BBM is an individual app where you have to add contacts and accept contacts (similar to FaceBook). iMessage is just iPhone to iPhone messaging, identical to SMS but with Blue Bubbles and the choice to have read and received there too...Oh and it also shows when someone is typing. I don't know if I am portraying what I am thinking accurately, but basically its all in the Messaging app, people on iPhones would not think any different if it was just texting to other iPhones...they just brand it with iMessage and change the colours and add little things to make it seem better.

For any iPhone users reading this...BBM offers status updates, ability to change profile pics, change profile status' to "available", "busy" etc. Allows you to create groups, within the groups you can chat, share pictures (comment, and like photos), create group lists (family = grocery shopping list), and create events to share with all group members. Also the ability to share music updates (what song your listening too). This is just the beginning of what BBM can do, and on BB10 there are many additional features, many of which will be added to iOS and Android, but as you can see BBM is much more detailed and personal than iMessage which is identical to just texting people, no fun in that people!
    What happens to BBM if Apple and Google incorporate some if not all of the features you deem make BBM superior?

Google is the most likely to respond quickly.

Integrated OS apps are hard to overcome.
    09-09-13 04:37 PM
    Coke vs. Water = not the same!

Wristwatch vs. Neighborhood Watch = not the same!

iCloud vs. rain cloud = not the same!

DropBox vs. sand box = not the same!

This is fun.
    09-09-13 04:37 PM
    I think the OP is frustrated at how people won't try BBM because they think it's the same as iMessage, hence the explanation and rant. :P
    09-09-13 04:40 PM
    @OP: With many words you didn't really list anything that would convince me BBM is the best messenger available, like you call it.
    Why would it be better than Google Talk / Hangouts ?
    You are listing ridiculous things as advantages like

WHO CARES? 10,000 messengers have had that before

What a GREAT feature, many people will start using BBM due to it

What a GREAT feature, many people will start using BBM due to it

In my opinion BBM offers nothing the others either don't have or couldn't also implement within a short time to prevent losing users to BBM.

But please, tell me more reasons why BBM is the best messenger available.

Do you even know WHY Whatsapp has had that huge success? It was the first messenger that allowed you to start using it out of the box without manually adding people, because it automatically determines your whatsapp contacts based on the numbers in your phone book and the ones that use Whatsapp too. BBM clearly can't do that, can it?

Also, you need to compare BBM to more popular or more advanced messengers than iMessage as well, as you are clearly stating that BBM in your opinion is the best messenger available.
    Google talk? Refer back to the vhs comparison and then think of beta.... that's Google talk! lmao

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 04:40 PM
    Coke vs. Water = not the same!

Wristwatch vs. Neighborhood Watch = not the same!

iCloud vs. rain cloud = not the same!

DropBox vs. sand box = not the same!

This is fun.
    This is the post that is relevant. Thanks LOL
    09-09-13 04:48 PM

Third, you mention BBM for a company to use. No. Not any company that is security focused anyways. You use Enterprise IM through BlackBerry, because it's processed by your internal BES5/BES10 servers. I wouldn't want to tell anyone to start having corporate related chit chat on a public IM platform, such as BBM or whatsapp. That data and those conversations should remain in house.

/twocents.
    Those conversations are currently going on with all these iphones going into the workplace to replace blackberries right? And it's not as secure as blackberry weither BlackBerry is on bes or not, it still goes through rims encrypted servers, imessage doesn't. So using that logic BlackBerry is more secure for work messaging. To keep it in house better would be better used on the superior blackberry.

We don't use pennies anymore, guess that's my two nickels

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 04:49 PM
    I think the OP is frustrated at how people won't try BBM because they think it's the same as iMessage, hence the explanation and rant. :P
    Sounds familiar. Just substitute certain device names.
    09-09-13 04:50 PM
    Those conversations are currently going on with all these iphones going into the workplace to replace blackberries right? And it's not as secure as blackberry weither BlackBerry is on bes or not, it still goes through rims encrypted servers, imessage doesn't. So using that logic BlackBerry is more secure for work messaging. To keep it in house better would be better used on the superior blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    sigh..more misinformation
    iMessage IS encrypted
    09-09-13 05:00 PM
    User numbers can of course be compared, who has the more users is the more popular messenger. The ppl. having iMessage installed are less likely to install a different messenger than those who don't have any messenger at all.

Don't you get it that this is a HUGE advantage over BBM and the main reason why Whatsapp became that successful? Because your contacts were already there when you started it, no need to manually add people.
    Just want to point out that there's a disadvantage with that if you want to IM with people without giving out your mobile number. WhatsApp may be more convenient in that regard, but there is a little less control.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 05:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    iMessage IS encrypted, but no, in an enterprise environment you would have a secured IM infrastrucutre to communicate through and would not rely on any cloud enabled or third party hosted services.. if security was a top concern that is.
    09-09-13 05:19 PM
    Just want to point out that there's a disadvantage with that if you want to IM with people without giving out your mobile number. WhatsApp may be more convenient in that regard, but there is a little less control.

Posted via CB10
    hm..i guess this is where we are different
    i remember when Apple first announced the unify Apple ID and phone number feature, i was thrill and couldn't wait to update to the new OS so i don't have do 2 separate conversations on the iPad and iPhone
    are you sure that is a disadvantage to most people? i think most people might prefer to be able to call and text to the same phone number than having to keep a phone number to call and an ID to text
    09-09-13 05:22 PM
    Here is what I will be doing and why.

I and a friend of mine run a cricket club in NYC we chat on daily basis about the progress of the team and other things.. as of right now we rely on two things Whatsapp and teamsnap..

I am the only person with a blackberry among 20 players.

As soon BBM goes cross platform I will force everyone to ditch Whatsapp for BBM.
    I will not do this because I am a fan of BBM but the features that BBM provides me..

Example: What's I have to repeat myself to everyone about the upcoming schedule or who is playing and who is not because they don't want go through all the messages that they missed.

It is a big hustle if you have couple of lazy players, but with BBM all I have to do is add an event and just share it..

Other than that, I have BBM Channels where I add posts about upcoming games and all my teammates can get up to date information without hustling me..

Now that is just a few things that gives BBM advantage over Whatsapp..
    09-09-13 05:27 PM
    hm..i guess this is where we are different
    i remember when Apple first announced the unify Apple ID and phone number feature, i was thrill and couldn't wait to update to the new OS so i don't have do 2 separate conversations on the iPad and iPhone
    are you sure that is a disadvantage to most people? i think most people might prefer to be able to call and text to the same phone number than having to keep a phone number to call and an ID to text
    Well, with both systems, once the ID is set up you don't really have to keep track of it. And personally, I never got really into texting because plans cost money here and my family all used BlackBerry (until recently).
    Anyway, I don't know how many would prefer mobile number to be dissociated from IM, but I'd be willing to bet that everyone on those CB pin-swapping threads does.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 05:41 PM
    Well, with both systems, once the ID is set up you don't really have to keep track of it. And personally, I never got really into texting because plans cost money here and my family all used BlackBerry (until recently).
    Anyway, I don't know how many would prefer mobile number to be dissociated from IM, but I'd be willing to bet that everyone on those CB pin-swapping threads does.

Posted via CB10
    Honestly, if yahoo/skype/hangout IDs could be integrated into my phone number, i'm all for it, so i won't have to open skype to chat with skype friends, hangouts to chat with google friends, etc...
    09-09-13 05:46 PM
    Honestly, if yahoo/skype/hangout IDs could be integrated into my phone number, i'm all for it, so i won't have to open skype to chat with skype friends, hangouts to chat with google friends, etc...
    That's the beauty of the hub system
    All I use is bbm, text, and fb messenger and they're all there, so it works great for me!

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 05:57 PM
    250M (growing) iMessage users vs 60M (declining) BBM users
    We should not over exaggerate iMessage by any means. It doesn't play a role how many user iMessage has; iMessage as a whole doesn't play ANY role. Just because it's an iPhone stock functionality that gets automatically activated through the SMS without people even recognizing it. No one will buy an iPhone for iMessage and no one will stick with his iPhone for iMessage, it's just there. iMessage is iPhone to iPhone only and as we all know, Apple has just 13% global market share, declining. So if there's ANY messaging service BBM has NOT to fear, it's iMessage. It isn't a seperate service, it isn't a separate app and it has barely any brand value. Each and every iPhone user here in Germany (and I think in many other countries too) has WhatsApp installed and conciously uses it daily. In Germany WhatsApp has basically substituted the SMS somehow, at least for certain demographics. And even if it's iPhone to iPhone, people mostly use WhatsApp instead of iMessage, because it's easier to use one service for all contacts.

So the biggest challenge for BBM will be WhatsApp. At the end it will come down to if BBRY sees the potential behind BBM and uses it or not. I said it before and I say it again, voice and video chat with screen sharing as well as BBM channels are steps in the right direction. But even that won't be enough, BBM needs even more features. Imagine a combination of Channels, Vine, Instagram and, let's say, 9GAG, that's pretty, slick and super easy to use. And go even further and imagine the sign up process and adding/removing contacts would be as easy as on Twitter or Facebook. They really could make BBM a killer service. What the heck do I need 5 individual services for that somehow do all something similar (having a profile/posting stuff/having connections and communicate with each other)?

Now the biggest problem (and unfortunately the most likely one) will be if BBRY just releases a BBM that doesn NOTHING more than any other app or even less, let's say a BBM without Channels, voice and video, without PTT, without proper photo sharing (pixelating compression and an extra step for HQ), without video sharing? Then you'll have a prettier WhatsApp with a more complex signup/contact adding process and worse photo and video share - GREAT. Sounds like a recipe for success. Then anyone who gives it a try will just instantly dismiss is and will never download it again, even if BBRY improves it. Honestly, if those guy will go on a stage and release a half baked cross plattform BBM like that, noting that features X and Y "will follow later this year" or something along those lines, I'll loose my mind.

Posted via CB10
    mphillips828 and AlexXF like this.
    09-09-13 06:01 PM
    We should not over exaggerate iMessage by any means. It doesn't play a role how many user iMessage has; iMessage as a whole doesn't play ANY role. Just because it's an iPhone stock functionality that gets automatically activated through the SMS without people even recognizing it. No one will buy an iPhone for iMessage and no one will stick with his iPhone for iMessage, it's just there. iMessage is iPhone to iPhone only and as we all know, Apple has just 13% global market share, declining. So if there's ANY messaging service BBM has NOT to fear, it's iMessage. It isn't a seperate service, it isn't a separate app and it has barely any brand value. Each and every iPhone user here in Germany (and I think in many other countries too) has WhatsApp installed and conciously uses it daily. In Germany WhatsApp has basically substituted the SMS somehow, at least for certain demographics. And even if it's iPhone to iPhone, people mostly use WhatsApp instead of iMessage, because it's easier to use one service for all contacts.

So the biggest challenge for BBM will be WhatsApp. At the end it will come down to if BBRY sees the potential behind BBM and uses it or not. I said it before and I say it again, voice and video chat with screen sharing as well as BBM channels are steps in the right direction. But even that won't be enough, BBM needs even more features. Imagine a combination of Channels, Vine, Instagram and, let's say, 9GAG, that's pretty, slick and super easy to use. And go even further and imagine the sign up process and adding/removing contacts would be as easy as on Twitter or Facebook. They really could make BBM a killer service. What the heck do I need 5 individual services for that somehow do all something similar (having a profile/posting stuff/having connections and communicate with each other)?

Now the biggest problem (and unfortunately the most likely one) will be if BBRY just releases a BBM that doesn NOTHING more than any other app or even less, let's say a BBM without Channels, voice and video, without PTT, without proper photo sharing (pixelating compression and an extra step for HQ), without video sharing? Then you'll have a prettier WhatsApp with a more complex signup/contact adding process and worse photo and video share - GREAT. Sounds like a recipe for success. Then anyone who gives it a try will just instantly dismiss is and will never download it again, even if BBRY improves it. Honestly, if those guy will go on a stage and release a half baked cross plattform BBM like that, noting that features X and Y "will follow later this year" or something along those lines, I'll loose my mind.

Posted via CB10
    Sadly I think BBRY has made it clear that BBM X will launch with less than the full feature set that people on BB10 enjoy.

I completely agree with you and have found myself thinking the same things over and over again. BBM could be a complete killer if BBRY can integrate all useful features into one killer app. Within BBM Channels, BBRY could integrate a video service like (vine or instagram video), that would make BBM Channels have all the major features. Also within the messaging aspect, they need to implement Push to Talk.

This hopefully is the plan for BBM...to implement all the major features people want into one application rather than having 5 different apps to do all your communicating/social networking.
    09-09-13 06:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    ok let's talk marketshare
    let me ask u this, would u rather own Google (has most marketshare) OR the 2nd most profitable company (Apple)
    i bet most (including BB) would choose to be in Apple's position despite a much smaller marketshare, unless you hate money
    in this sense, marketshare is meaningless without the profit to back it up
    marketshare does not measure company's success, profit has to pair with it
    company operates to make profits

Apple: Sales: $164.7 B Profits: $41.7 B

Google: Sales: $50.2 B Profits: $10.7 B

and Android marketshare almost quadruple iOS
    it doesn't matter if iOS marketshare shrank to 5%, as long as Apple is making the most profit, they win
    i have a feeling this explanation will be conveniently ignored
    Last edited by Eric Ton; 09-09-13 at 06:32 PM.
    09-09-13 06:16 PM
    ok let's talk marketshare
    let me ask u this, would u rather own Google (has most marketshare) OR the 2nd most profitable company (Apple)
    in this sense, marketshare is meaningless without the profit to back it up
    marketshare does not measure company's success, profit has to pair with it

Apple: Sales: $164.7 BProfits: $41.7 B

Google: Sales: $50.2 BProfits: $10.7 B

and Android marketshare almost quadruple iOS
    it doesn't matter if iOS marketshare shrank to 5%, as long as Apple is making the most profit, they win
    i have a feeling this explanation will be conveniently ignored
    Uhm no, I won't ignore you here. If I remember correctly, we talk messaging apps/services here. And if I also remember correctly, I talked about iMessage, not Apple, bringing Apples market share only to the the table since iMessage (as the core of my evaluation) is iOS to iOS only. I do know Apples and Googles profitability as well as those of Android OEMs, but that hasn't anything to do with iMessage being a threat to BBM or any other messaging service. Apple can be the most profitable company of all time, that won't help them making iMessage the messaging service to use if it's iOS exclusive only and iOS has a market share of 5-13%. iMessage, at this stage, is totally useless from a business standpoint and isn't worth naming in this discussion, 250M users or not. Why? To put it simply: if consumer X wants a bigger screen, iMessage silently looses a customer and that customer won't care a bit about ditching it.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 06:34 PM
    There are a lot of promises there for an app that hasn't even been launched yet ...
    This.
    09-09-13 06:36 PM
218 1234 ...