So with BBM X coming possibly this week there is a lot of discussion about whether people will download the app, and whether people care about BBM anymore and all this good stuff...well I don't know if I am the only one to feel this way, so I will state it and please sound off and let me know what you all think.

I have read this from iPhone users..."why would I want to download BBM? BlackBerry is dying, its not good!" and "I have iMessage, I don't need BBM, iMessage is the same thing"

Well I see these comments and first of all, BBM is a service, and arguably the best messaging platform around. With cross platform BBM, and once all features are updated (video and voice) BBM will be much better than any other messaging client around. I believe down the road, BBM will overtake Skype for office conference technology. Companies will use BBM to chat among co-workers, and hold video conferences using BBM Video. Anyways I digress...BBM, people say they wont download because the perception of BlackBerry isn't good. This shouldn't be a deciding factor as BBM has many great features and offers better communication over Whatapp and iMessage!

Now the iMessage situation. I do NOT believe iMessage can ever be compared to BBM. iMessage is integrated into the messaging app on iPhones. BBM is an individual app where you have to add contacts and accept contacts (similar to FaceBook). iMessage is just iPhone to iPhone messaging, identical to SMS but with Blue Bubbles and the choice to have read and received there too...Oh and it also shows when someone is typing. I don't know if I am portraying what I am thinking accurately, but basically its all in the Messaging app, people on iPhones would not think any different if it was just texting to other iPhones...they just brand it with iMessage and change the colours and add little things to make it seem better.

For any iPhone users reading this...BBM offers status updates, ability to change profile pics, change profile status' to "available", "busy" etc. Allows you to create groups, within the groups you can chat, share pictures (comment, and like photos), create group lists (family = grocery shopping list), and create events to share with all group members. Also the ability to share music updates (what song your listening too). This is just the beginning of what BBM can do, and on BB10 there are many additional features, many of which will be added to iOS and Android, but as you can see BBM is much more detailed and personal than iMessage which is identical to just texting people, no fun in that people!
    09-09-13 03:27 PM
    Thank you for your information and comparisons!
    I agree with you. And once the iphone people see all the other iphone people downloading it, they will too. SO just wait and see how widely used and downloaded it is. Maybe the Android users ARE the smarter of the two groups...

Of course, I am only kidding here and flamers don't even bother. If I cared about BBM I would buy a BlackBerry myself!
    Oh wait! I HAVE A Z10 and have had only BBs for the last 8 years.
    09-09-13 03:34 PM
    There are a lot of promises there for an app that hasn't even been launched yet and will pretty much just have texting. Plus, you are promising functionality that already exists via some very popular apps. Users don't usually flock to apps that offer what they are already doing.

iMesssage will always be preferred for iPhone users simply because it is the default selection that pops up when you want to send a photo, link, video, or contact to someone.
    09-09-13 03:37 PM
    Thank you for your information and comparisons!
    I agree with you. And once the iphone people see all the other iphone people downloading it, they will too. SO just wait and see how widely used and downloaded it is. Maybe the Android users ARE the smarter of the two groups...

Of course, I am only kidding here and flamers don't even bother. If I cared about BBM I would buy a BlackBerry myself!
    Oh wait! I HAVE A Z10 and have had only BBs for the last 8 years.
    i had to do this
    iPhone users older, richer, better-educated
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    09-09-13 03:42 PM
    There are a lot of promises there for an app that hasn't even been launched yet and will pretty much just have texting. Plus, you are promising functionality that already exists via some very popular apps. Users don't usually flock to apps that offer what they are already doing.

iMesssage will always be preferred for iPhone users simply because it is the default selection that pops up when you want to send a photo, link, video, or contact to someone.
    Just texting? lol did you not see all the additional features BBM has...and thats what it will have at LAUNCH...more and more will be added, where iMessage is stuck with just standard SMS-like features and look.

I will ask you a question...if you are watching a movie on VHS and at your home you have all your favourite movies on VHS and you think its perfect because it works for you, and you already have the movie you want...but then you come across Blu-Ray and find out all your favourite movies are on Blu-Ray which offer the same base feature (you get to watch your favourite movies) but it also allows you to see it in Hi-Definition, and offers special features, and just makes the viewing experience 100 times better...would you still stick with your VHS or migrate to Blu-Ray?
    09-09-13 03:43 PM
    @OP: With many words you didn't really list anything that would convince me BBM is the best messenger available, like you call it.
    Why would it be better than Google Talk / Hangouts ?
    You are listing ridiculous things as advantages like
    - status updates, ability to change profile pics, change profile status' to "available", "busy" etc. Allows you to create groups
    WHO CARES? 10,000 messengers have had that before

- create group lists (family = grocery shopping list)
    What a GREAT feature, many people will start using BBM due to it

- and create events to share with all group members. Also the ability to share music updates (what song your listening too)

In my opinion BBM offers nothing the others either don't have or couldn't also implement within a short time to prevent losing users to BBM.

But please, tell me more reasons why BBM is the best messenger available.

Do you even know WHY Whatsapp has had that huge success? It was the first messenger that allowed you to start using it out of the box without manually adding people, because it automatically determines your whatsapp contacts based on the numbers in your phone book and the ones that use Whatsapp too. BBM clearly can't do that, can it?

Also, you need to compare BBM to more popular or more advanced messengers than iMessage as well, as you are clearly stating that BBM in your opinion is the best messenger available.
    Last edited by MyFirstOwnUsername; 09-09-13 at 03:58 PM.
    Bsbudd, AlexXF, richardat and 5 others like this.
    09-09-13 03:45 PM
    we'll find out soon enough if BBM will make a dent in the messaging market
    none of my friends (one ex bb user) will download it
    09-09-13 03:47 PM
    iMessage is ridiculous, closed platform stuff that I just don't see a use for. It's so "old-BBM".
    Dude_9 likes this.
    09-09-13 03:52 PM
    For any iPhone users reading this...BBM offers status updates, ability to change profile pics, change profile status' to "available", "busy" etc. Allows you to create groups, within the groups you can chat, share pictures (comment, and like photos), create group lists (family = grocery shopping list), and create events to share with all group members. Also the ability to share music updates (what song your listening too). This is just the beginning of what BBM can do, and on BB10 there are many additional features, many of which will be added to iOS and Android, but as you can see BBM is much more detailed and personal than iMessage which is identical to just texting people, no fun in that people!
    When they announced iMessage at WWDC in 2011, this is exactly what I thought iMessage would be until they started to
    demo the thing. I was disappointed as an iPhone user having been a longtime Blackberry user before.
    09-09-13 03:53 PM
    250M (growing) iMessage users vs 60M (declining) BBM users

Until we see some reviews of BBM working on other devices and see just how "integrated" it really is... not sure that making any comparisons is worth while.

And the simple fact that iMessage does work with text messages... which is still the messaging choice of most people (at least in areas with unlimited texting now being a standard), gives iMessage a big advantage over BBM.
    09-09-13 03:54 PM
    Great comparison. I don't know if this is possible in iMessage but with BBM you can copy the entire chat and also save a particular chat. BBM can also show the other person the time at your current location, which is very helpful if you have international contacts. All this should be there at CP launch.

Things to follow include voice and video calls, screen sharing (although I wonder if Apple would allow this) and BBM Channels.

Maybe you should do a video comparing BBM to iMessage once BBM CP is out since not as many people will read this thread as would be willing to watch a video.

Posted via CB10
    jrohland likes this.
    09-09-13 03:55 PM
    With many words you didn't really list anything that would convince me BBM is the best messenger available, like you call it.
    Why would it be better than Google Talk / Hangouts ?
    You are listing ridiculous things as advantages like

WHO CARES? 10,000 messengers before have done that

In my opinion BBM offers nothing the others either don't have or couldn't also implement within a short time to prevent losing users to BBM.

But please, tell me more reasons why BBM is the best messenger available.

Do you even know WHY Whatsapp had that huge success? It was the first messenger that allowed you to start using it out of the box without manually adding people, because it automatically determines your contact list based on the numbers in your phone book and the ones that use Whatsapp too. BBM clearly can't do that, can it?
    All I have to say is that this thread is comparing iMessage to BBM...thats what I am comparing in my post, and those reasons I posted are reasons why BBM is better than iMessage, and how BBM and iMessage are not the same as many people like to say or believe...so you stating all that isn't relevant to this thread. Also if all your friends use Hangouts, or Whatsapp and you are happy with it and so are your friends, then good!! keep using that client.

I also never said it IS the best messenger available at all in my post...I said "arguably the best" and many people would argue that it is the best...so thats a fair comment to make...I never said it is without a doubt the absolute best messenger available...so I won't even try to explain any of that.

I appreciate your opinion, and this thread is meant for people to state their opinions, but lets keep it on track here...we are discussing iMessage and BBM...not whether BBM is better than Hangouts or Whatsapp...

as with any app, or OS...whatever works best for the user, is the best for that user.
    neoberry99 and Shadowyugi like this.
    09-09-13 03:55 PM
    I cant believe people still swallow everything BB promises...without having even seen the product and with such a terrible history of execution.
    Bsbudd, richardat and Moonbase0ne like this.
    09-09-13 03:57 PM
    All I have to say is that this thread is comparing iMessage to BBM...thats what I am comparing in my post, and those reasons I posted are reasons why BBM is better than iMessage, and how BBM and iMessage are not the same as many people like to say or believe...so you stating all that isn't relevant to this thread. Also if all your friends use Hangouts, or Whatsapp and you are happy with it and so are your friends, then good!! keep using that client.

I also never said it IS the best messenger available at all in my post...I said "arguably the best" and many people would argue that it is the best...so thats a fair comment to make...I never said it is without a doubt the absolute best messenger available...so I won't even try to explain any of that.

I appreciate your opinion, and this thread is meant for people to state their opinions, but lets keep it on track here...we are discussing iMessage and BBM...not whether BBM is better than Hangouts or Whatsapp...

as with any app, or OS...whatever works best for the user, is the best for that user.
    Comparing to iMessage only really doesn't do the job, I don't see the point here. If BBM wants to be a huge success it has to be compared to and be better than the most popular messengers.
    However you stated
    Well I see these comments and first of all, BBM is a service, and arguably the best messaging platform around.
    And no, currently it's not even arguably the best messaging platform around. At least noone is listing convincing reasons.

Again what's the point in comparing it to iMessage anyway instead of comparing it to the most popular or more advanced messengers?
    If you want to be the best, do you try to beat the the one who's currently on top or do you try to beat someone far from top?
    richardat likes this.
    09-09-13 04:05 PM
    250M (growing) iMessage users vs 60M (declining) BBM users
    You do realize that these numbers can not be compared. 250M iMessage users is nothing...thats the same as saying there are 250M people with iPhones, or Macs...its pre-installed and instantly set-up...so anyone who purchases an iPhone will automatically be included in those numbers...many general users on iPhones might not even know they are using something called "iMessage" They might just be wondering why some messages are green bubbles, and others are blue...

BBM is an actual application where people choose to install and add friends and create a personal touch to their BBM list...rejecting people you don't want, and adding those you want...unlike iMessage that just adds anyone and everyone you have in your contact list with an Apple ID...Thus those numbers can not be considered accurate...according to those numbers Android destroys iMessage with 900 Million users...

Google: Android activations to total 900 million this year | Internet & Media - CNET News

It is not a fair comparison...just as its not fair to compare the total number of android users to BBM users, and iMessage users to BBM users. Just like FaceBook, BBM is a CHOICE that a user has to download and use, iMessage is on and registered for every iPhone device activated.
    vcassist likes this.
    09-09-13 04:06 PM
    Does anyone else find it amusing that all of a sudden Blackberry has become a great multi-platform social networking software company now that the hardware business has gone kaput? It reminds me of how after webOS failed on smartphones and tablets that it suddenly became just perfect for HP to install on all of their printers and PCs. It seems ludicrous now but you heard it every day on PreCentral.

Let's see if BBM can tackle cross platform text messaging before it takes over iMessage, Facebook chat, Skype, and WhatsApp.

I'd have been more impressed if Blackberry had been able to get BBM onto the Playbook.
    jtfolden, Bsbudd and richardat like this.
    09-09-13 04:07 PM
    iMessage was designed to be transparent and sync across all iDevices and Mac systems so people in the Apple ecosystem can pickup their chat conversation from any Apple devices. It was not designed to be a full blown messaging app.
    Bsbudd and shief24 like this.
    09-09-13 04:10 PM
    You do realize that these numbers can not be compared. 250M iMessage users is nothing...thats the same as saying there are 250M people with iPhones, or Macs...its pre-installed and instantly set-up...

and some more blah blah
    User numbers can of course be compared, who has the more users is the more popular messenger. The ppl. having iMessage installed are less likely to install a different messenger than those who don't have any messenger at all.

unlike iMessage that just adds anyone and everyone you have in your contact list with an Apple ID
    Don't you get it that this is a HUGE advantage over BBM and the main reason why Whatsapp became that successful? Because your contacts were already there when you started it, no need to manually add people.
    09-09-13 04:12 PM
    You do realize that these numbers can not be compared. 250M iMessage users is nothing...thats the same as saying there are 250M people with iPhones, or Macs...its pre-installed and instantly set-up...so anyone who purchases an iPhone will automatically be included in those numbers...many general users on iPhones might not even know they are using something called "iMessage" They might just be wondering why some messages are green bubbles, and others are blue...

BBM is an actual application where people choose to install and add friends and create a personal touch to their BBM list...rejecting people you don't want, and adding those you want...unlike iMessage that just adds anyone and everyone you have in your contact list with an Apple ID...Thus those numbers can not be considered accurate...according to those numbers Android destroys iMessage with 900 Million users...

Google: Android activations to total 900 million this year | Internet & Media - CNET News

It is not a fair comparison...just as its not fair to compare the total number of android users to BBM users, and iMessage users to BBM users. Just like FaceBook, BBM is a CHOICE that a user has to download and use, iMessage is on and registered for every iPhone device activated.
    250 million imessage users from ONE company is pretty impressive to me
    richardat likes this.
    09-09-13 04:13 PM
    iMessage was designed to be transparent and sync across all iDevices and Mac systems so people in the Apple ecosystem can pickup their chat conversation from any Apple devices. It was not designed to be a full blown messaging app.
    Yeah. I got that point right away, lol. I have no complaints though. I'm fine with it. And when it goes
    down it doesn't affect me too much. Just gives me green SMS bubbles instead of blue.
    09-09-13 04:13 PM
    Does anyone else find it amusing that all of a sudden Blackberry has become a great multi-platform social networking software company now that the hardware business has gone kaput? It reminds me of how after webOS failed on smartphones and tablets that it suddenly became just perfect for HP to install on all of their printers and PCs. It seems ludicrous now but you heard it every day on PreCentral.

Let's see if BBM can tackle cross platform text messaging before it takes over iMessage, Facebook chat, Skype, and WhatsApp.
    It always has been the best... there's no contention. People left BB due to apps and Steve Jobs able to convince people that Apple was cool not because of BBM. In the beginning BBM was able to keep some customers from defecting but not anymore. Many who are on iphone and Android based phones that came from BB still remember how great BBM was as a messenger service and it's even better today. Once it gets out there and people on competitive phones start using it, they'll start downloading it and leave iMessage in the dust.
    mphillips828 and neoberry99 like this.
    09-09-13 04:14 PM
    So with BBM X coming possibly this week there is a lot of discussion about whether people will download the app, and whether people care about BBM anymore and all this good stuff...well I don't know if I am the only one to feel this way, so I will state it and please sound off and let me know what you all think.

I have read this from iPhone users..."why would I want to download BBM? BlackBerry is dying, its not good!" and "I have iMessage, I don't need BBM, iMessage is the same thing"

Well I see these comments and first of all, BBM is a service, and arguably the best messaging platform around. With cross platform BBM, and once all features are updated (video and voice) BBM will be much better than any other messaging client around. I believe down the road, BBM will overtake Skype for office conference technology. Companies will use BBM to chat among co-workers, and hold video conferences using BBM Video. Anyways I digress...BBM, people say they wont download because the perception of BlackBerry isn't good. This shouldn't be a deciding factor as BBM has many great features and offers better communication over Whatapp and iMessage!

Now the iMessage situation. I do NOT believe iMessage can ever be compared to BBM. iMessage is integrated into the messaging app on iPhones. BBM is an individual app where you have to add contacts and accept contacts (similar to FaceBook). iMessage is just iPhone to iPhone messaging, identical to SMS but with Blue Bubbles and the choice to have read and received there too...Oh and it also shows when someone is typing. I don't know if I am portraying what I am thinking accurately, but basically its all in the Messaging app, people on iPhones would not think any different if it was just texting to other iPhones...they just brand it with iMessage and change the colours and add little things to make it seem better.

ok. so what is included in BBM for android and iOS? they got video yet? what do they have? is it not similar to most other messager app now that just sends text in android or iOS?don't mention stuff in the future. other product in the future might have those feature too. BBRY is all about the coming soon and we have this plan crap. unless it is here no one cares.
    richardat likes this.
    09-09-13 04:16 PM
    User numbers can of course be compared, who has the more users is the more popular messenger. The ppl. having iMessage installed are less likely to install a different messenger than those who don't have any messenger at all.

Don't you get it that this is a HUGE advantage over BBM and the main reason why Whatsapp became that successful? Because your contacts were already there when you started it, no need to manually add people.
    i agree, people are overlooking the convenience factor and easy factor of iMessage, pretty sure most iMessage users won't bother using another chat app, if if they do need video/voice, facetime/skype/yahoo/hangout will be their first priority
    AlexXF likes this.
    09-09-13 04:16 PM
    Comparing to iMessage only really doesn't do the job, I don't see the point here. If BBM wants to be a huge success it has to be compared to and be better than the most popular messengers.
    However you stated

And no, currently it's not even arguably the best messaging platform around. At least noone is listing convincing reasons.

Again what's the point in comparing it to iMessage anyway instead of comparing it to the most popular or more advanced messengers?
    If you want to be the best, do you try to beat the the one who's currently on top or do you try to beat someone far from top?
    As my thread stated...I am comparing to iMessage because I have noticed the majority of people making comments regarding iMessage...Android users I have seen are open to trying BBM...iPhone users are not open to using BBM (from my personal experience) and I am trying to make it known that BBM has more features and is more powerful than iMessage...

Yes, you always want to be the best, so comparing and competing against the best is the way to go. This thread is about iMessage vs. BBM though.
    09-09-13 04:19 PM
    exactly...and that is a great feature forsure for simplicity and ease...but many people like having the full-blown experience for many different reasons...BBM does this and offers it all under one roof. That is a simple experience and powerful experience as well...
    09-09-13 04:25 PM
218 123 ...