I'm selling a phone and a buyer is asking for the IMEI # to check if the phone will work with his/her carrier.

Is that safe? and what can they do the IMEI #?
    12-09-09 12:38 PM
    if the phone as a IMEI number it's a GSM phone. as long as it is unlocked it will work. i don't know that i would give it out. he might try to report it stolen ... and get you in trouble and get the phone for free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-09 01:30 PM
    if the phone as a IMEI number it's a GSM phone. as long as it is unlocked it will work. i don't know that i would give it out. he might try to report it stolen ... and get you in trouble and get the phone for free.

Thats what I thought.

Thanks
    12-09-09 02:06 PM
    Did you purchase the phone new? If so, there's a paper trail, nobody can "claim" you stole it. More likely, he wants to make sure you didn't.

12-09-09 03:16 PM
    Did you purchase the phone new? If so, there's a paper trail, nobody can "claim" you stole it. More likely, he wants to make sure you didn't.

Well, I bought it and am selling it on eBay!
    12-09-09 03:17 PM

Lol.

How, exactly, would the buyer get the phone for free??

An ESN is like a Vehicle ID Number and that's stuck right to your dash for everyone to see, along with your license plates, etc.

I guess you better hide those too!!
    12-09-09 09:59 PM
    the buyer wants to make sure that the IMEI is clean. No harm in giving it to him.
    12-09-09 11:08 PM
    i've bought and sold tons of phones on Ebay never had anyone ask for a imei, paypal and ebay protects the buyer from anything like that so he/she has nothing to worry about unless they just dont know or trying to clone a phone
    12-09-09 11:12 PM
    Lol.

How, exactly, would the buyer get the phone for free??

An ESN is like a Vehicle ID Number and that's stuck right to your dash for everyone to see, along with your license plates, etc.

I guess you better hide those too!!

Dude i bought a brand new unlocked storm, 9530, to use on T-mo. But i didnt like the phones so i put it on craigslist. The guy asked me for the IMEI number so he could make sure it would work for ATT - i gave it to him. next thing i know i'm getting a call from cincinnati (ohio) police department questioning me about the phone. and the only thing that saved my **** on that was the invoice from VZW with my name &
    address on it.

And with the car... the VIN number is also on a matching TITLE... there are no TITLES with phones.... ... same reason you get a deed for a plot of land.

think before you speak.

12-10-09 07:23 AM
    Dude i bought a brand new unlocked storm, 9530, to use on T-mo. But i didnt like the phones so i put it on craigslist. The guy asked me for the IMEI number so he could make sure it would work for ATT - i gave it to him. next thing i know i'm getting a call from cincinnati (ohio) police department questioning me about the phone. and the only thing that saved my **** on that was the invoice from VZW with my name &
    address on it.

And with the car... the VIN number is also on a matching TITLE... there are no TITLES with phones.... ... same reason you get a deed for a plot of land.

think before you speak.

Dude, you just showed the opposite of what you were saying. The invoice is akin to a car title. If you had just bought a car and were stopped by the cops, the Bill of Sale would be proof that you owned the car. Even without an invoice, the carrier would have a record of your phone's IMEI.
    12-10-09 08:25 AM
    if the phone as a IMEI number it's a GSM phone.
    Or some CDMA phones that are GSM capable such as the Tour, S1 or S2.
    12-10-09 08:31 AM
    Or some CDMA phones that are GSM capable such as the Tour, S1 or S2.
    The FCC still considers them a GSM phone.

12-10-09 08:43 AM
    address on it.
    So, what you're saying is that you gave someone your imei and nothing bad happened? That sounds a lot like what I said would happen.

Still waiting for the explanation on how someone could get a free Blackberry with just an imei.
    12-10-09 08:21 PM
    So, what you're saying is that you gave someone your imei and nothing bad happened? That sounds a lot like what I said would happen.

Still waiting for the explanation on how someone could get a free Blackberry with just an imei.
    Sounds like he said that someone reported it stolen in Ohio and tried to get the phone "back"

Its very simple. Someone gets the IMEI, reports it stolen, the cops track it the same way they did with this guy, and then they confiscate it, and return it to the "owner". BAM free blackberry. UNLESS you can prove that it is yours.
    12-10-09 08:55 PM
    Sounds like he said that someone reported it stolen in Ohio and tried to get the phone "back"

Its very simple. Someone gets the IMEI, reports it stolen, the cops track it the same way they did with this guy, and then they confiscate it, and return it to the "owner". BAM free blackberry. UNLESS you can prove that it is yours.
    So, the police wouldn't ask the person claiming 'theft' to prove ownership? Just the person in possession of the phone? Sounds like your police department is cutting corners. Or it's an urban myth.
    12-10-09 10:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD