While I do agree that IMAP folder support on BIS would be nice, it's lack doesn't make RIM's platform "decidedly crippled".
    No, not crippled - that would imply a loss of functionality, and that functionality has never been there. I would describe it as "impotent nearly to the point of uselessness."

BlackBerries aren't for anyone. Same with Windows Mobile, Symbian, Palm, Android, or any other platform. That's the beauty about having so many choices.
    Indeed it is. If RIM fails to include basic e-mail functionality that is taken for granted by the market, it is the market's prerogative to punish it. Severely.
    03-03-09 06:41 AM
    Wow, I thought that this thing could handle freking IMAP folders, I am so dissapointed! I wish there was a free option for imap folders. I guess I will just have to move all my accounts over to gmail. Which is gonna suck cause I hate the way they do labels, not folders. Anyways, if anyone finds a free imap service, let us know!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-09 10:59 AM
    there is also tiggit mail POP3 and IMAP client for BlackBerry but i havent been able to get it or LogicMail to connect...

EDIT: after a battery pull tiggit mail works, and it works fairly well
    Last edited by bmfan; 05-05-09 at 10:54 AM.
    05-05-09 10:21 AM
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again.. I'd sacrifice email folders for a phone that works anyday
    05-06-09 05:22 AM
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again.. I'd sacrifice email folders for a phone that works anyday
    aha and za BB works ? come on ... I've tested every single mobiel OS and every single worth to mention nice phone and I can tell you, every phone has flaws.

BUT, there is a big elephand in the room and we need to get it out somehow...
    for functionalities that android, iphone, symbian (even a crappy E51), wm and so on ..... - gives for free, RIM charges very very very heavy.

in my country, romania - (fukn country filled with a bunch of idiots, maybe including me sometimes) they've put like 5 euro + VAT for 400 kb (they say like 100 emails) ..yeah without attachments !!! ...I always get email ...but many of them have like 2-3 mb attachments that I need at least to open ...and excuse my stylke but this is a pile of crap that RIM wants to call for a email handheld device if they think they can act like this ...ignoring the competition like that.

it's a shame, because the device itself its very very nice.
    for example I don't get why they didn't put the option also to broswe sites with the standard web navigator also via data plan and not just bis ....pff yeah ..for 10 mb via bis u also pay 10x times more then via normal data plan thesedays ...

I would make a BIS/BES account and pay nicely, but please make a normal one, and make it quick and handy like all other competitors have it ..

what it's strange is, the fact that RIM actualy is soooo far behind with technology. they probably invested in this kind of system, and they won't let it go now, (exactly like ibm does with the Risc processors vs Itanium from all the competitors). this somehow, one day will probably kill a pretty nice device actualy like the blackberry.

I'm using logicmail to see my email forlders, and it works fine but I have no html support (and I can't see any attachments, or open them ...)

I just don't get it why isn't there a company who can make FOR MONEY a good app, that looks like the gmail app for expample, and that can add any kind of email account !!!

I've tried flurry and all others, but when I send the sms...for verification I just don't recieve it .............anybody tried this ?

I don't like the ideea to have many devices for different things...but a all in one like the WMobile devices..u just can't get.
    also the GPS function on the BB its a joke ... I mean just look at the competition, ..what a bunch of apps and maps to choose from that work really FOR FREE ..and just plug in and WORK ..not like on the rim devices...

for what it's worth, maybe hte best device for messenging and writing emails, it's this bold, ..but how they look on the device, and u operate with them, ..makes me sick sometimes.

let me describe the best device that somebody can create for me : it looks like the BB bold, but slimmer, and bigger screen, qwerty keyb, 3g and wifi but like on the iphone (its quicker on it), - maybe a touchscreen like on the iphone, variaty of apps like on the iphone+android, easy of use like on the symbian, and gps functionality and configurability like on the windows mobile.

this would be, maybe the best device ! ..from all the experience i've had...

sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to let go of this

zbye
    05-07-09 09:43 AM
    Kind of an old thread, but I just came home with my Tour and realized that IMAP folder support doesn't exist. I'm a little stunned. And screwed. Back to the store I go - the whole reason I bought a BB was for basic email, and this doesn't meet my needs as well as my dumbphone with VZW Mobile Email did. I could install BES, but it's WAY it's way too expensive for me since I'd need the more expensive data plan. VERY disappointed - I was all set to be completely wowed by the BB experience. I'm wowed, all right, but not in the right way. I screwed up.
    07-24-09 11:25 AM
    +1. Was hoping to get excited about the BB Tour. For as email centric as this device is, and all the touting about how seamless email is, I was a bit suprised it is extremely limited unless you use BES. Letting go of my touchscreen is one thing, but crippling my email access unless I go through dedicated apps or mobile sites for my particular client is definitely a "wow" in the wrong direction.

Gets even funnier when the crack users don't see it as a flaw. It just turns into "maybe the phone isn't for you" thing. Yet they are so quick to point out flaws in everything else under the sun and the bb just simply works. I enjoy not smoking the crack from any phone mfg. And something as basic as this is the reason my Treo Pro is still waiting in the wings (or back to my Centro even). The poor SMS client is another negative wow, and the justification from the crack users about BBM is just laughable. Though I have my 30 days and will hope to see 5.0 available by then to see what upgrades it brings.

Even the lowly iphone supports imap folders (as does Symbian, PalmOS, WebOS, and WinMob.

Other email irritants and potential deal breakers:
    -no way to indicate an email is spam. You have to delete on the phone only and then log in via web and do it through your web client.
    -can't access old mail, only what has been received since you first started using your BB.
    07-28-09 11:54 PM
    There's another thread for moving to a different device so I'll try to keep my comments limited here but I did give the Tour a try for the weekend before I returned it on Monday. I suppose for a company supporting BES it might have been ok, but the wireless carriers are selling these things as consumer devices and they simply aren't. I guess the "phone just isn't for me" as I can't deal with the crippled e-mail. I agree - the push email without real IMAP support is just marginally useful. I don't really understand how people can use these things. On the plus side, it finally got me to get an iPhone. All I can say is "wow."
    07-29-09 03:36 AM
    Well, I'm not happy either, but for those cases when proper folder access is needed, I turn on LogicMail application, which (almost) covers that gap. It's a decent app. It doesn't seem to handle attachments, though, so still imperfect, but I survive.
    08-26-09 04:37 PM
    The bb is for those people on the go, then back. If you are a meeting somewhere, the impotant emails come in and you can reply off the bat. When you get back toi the desk you can reply move etc.

08-26-09 05:11 PM
    wow...didn't know you were the one who knew exactly who the blackberry is for.

sorry, but BB, I believe, is the only smartphone platform that doesn't do folders. just accept that shortcoming instead of trying to spin the inadequacy by telling us who the device is and isn't for.

08-26-09 05:58 PM
    Lol why didn't you think I would know?

Agreed. I live off of logicmail anyways.

08-26-09 06:13 PM
    I'm with everyone and amazed (an understatement) that BB doesn't support IMAP. Even my old Motorola Q worked with IMAP. How sad is that? I had BB's from the first model until 5 years ago when i changed jobs and my new company wouldn't support it. I loved BB's but it was on an enterprise server. I finally went off on my own, salivating to get back to a BB and have had the Tour for 3 days. It seems like the RIM technology is frozen in time compared to others. RIM and the phone carriers need to stop marketing the BB to independent consultants - it is great for enterprise users, but severely limited to someone relying on IMAP. Sorry, but push email doesn't trump the inability to delete emails on my BB and have them deleted off the server. This can't be a difficult problem for RIM to fix if they wanted to take care of the 5%.
    08-27-09 10:48 PM
    First off, I'm not "completely basing" the BB. It has many strong features and the user interface is well thought out. I'm mostly glad I bought it. As you can also see from this thread, "particular needs" happen to fit many people's workstyle and aren't my presonal quirk.

Sorry, but that's too much of religious fervor to my taste.
    Really? I mean Really? His comment had NO religious implications whatsoever.
    08-27-09 11:04 PM
    Sorry, but push email doesn't trump the inability to delete emails on my BB and have them deleted off the server.
    Do you have reconcile deleted items set up onthe BIS site? Then if you delete a mail on the BB you'll get the option to delete on handheld and mailbox or just handheld. If you opt for the 1st one the deletion will work on both the phone and the IMAP mailbox.
    08-28-09 08:07 PM
    I know this is a blackberry forum, but those people comparing blackberry with the other devices that support IMAP - is that support on a "push" basis (i.e. you get the email as soon as it arrives in your mailbox, versus the device or email client polling the server at regular intervals)? Does Logicmail support email on a "push" basis?

By the way, I think there is a new Gmail plugin that allows the use of labels with Gmail accounts through the native Blackberry interface. And my understanding is that labels are Gmail's version of folders - and Gmail has IMAP access. If only Gmail weren't so popular that I would need to add a bunch of random numbers to my name to get an user name!

I'm too new to Crackberry to post links, but if you google "enhanced gmail blackberry plug-in" the first link should take you to the blackberry website with more details.
    08-29-09 08:22 PM
    Also, just to throw my two cents in - I think Blackberry will, at least in the short term, not allow too much BES-like functionality in their consumer BIS platform. Their original target, and still currect core customer, is the business enterprise customer. I haven't seen any detailed segment financials for Blackberry, but I would guess that its BES and Software Services business generates a large chunk of its revenue, and being primarily software and services, is a high margin product so could be a majority of its profit. I just don't see them rolling out a free/low-cost product that would compete against its main cash cow. Of course, the compromise could be to enable the advanced email functions of BES (two way sync, folders, etc) on BIS but leave off the other syncing and corporate functionality (contacts, notes, calendar, integration with Exchange scheduling and LDAP corporate address books).

Eventaully, they will need to match the offerings of its competitors, but its a slow process - enterprise customers move rather slowly -- Microsoft has included ActiveSync (its version of BES for WiMo devices) for free with its Exchange server software for several years, yet companies have yet to switch en masse to ActiveSync/WiMo.

Just my two cents.
    08-29-09 08:50 PM
    You may be right, but I hope you're not as I would definitely like to see some decent folder support for BIS users. I've had BES in the past and for those of us who file things in folders, it's nice to be able to do it on the BB and have it automatically reflect on the server/PC/Mac client.

I hope they go with something like the compromise you mentioned. I understand their need to preserve the cash cow but would hope those features plus central policy admin/remote wipe/remote lock/corporate intranet access would allow them to continue to differentiate between BES and BIS.
    09-08-09 12:09 AM
    Just to corect a few guys here, you can get imap trough bis, you just don't get the folder support. But if you read on the phone it gets marked as read on outlook too and the same with deleted email. Then if you mark it unread again the same happens in outlook. All the emails sent from blackberry apear in sent items in outlook.
    I know it's not your answer about folders but maybe it helps.
    Personaly I don't need folders.

09-08-09 01:32 AM
    All true - some of us just wish changes made in webmail or via the laptop client (e.g. Outlook) would be reflected to the BB automatically. That would be true 2-way syncing.
    09-08-09 01:41 AM
    Just to corect a few guys here, you can get imap trough bis, you just don't get the folder support. But if you read on the phone it gets marked as read on outlook too and the same with deleted email. Then if you mark it unread again the same happens in outlook. All the emails sent from blackberry apear in sent items in outlook.
    I know it's not your answer about folders but maybe it helps.
    Personaly I don't need folders.

09-08-09 01:42 AM
    For anyone still using the enhanced gmail app, have you gotten Update Label List to work? I've tried adding labels in webmail but no matter what I do the BB list doesn't update.

Since you can't create labels on the BB, I wonder if Update Label List isn't implemented or something. There's no mention of it in the stuff that passes itself off as "help".
    09-08-09 01:45 AM
    Update on "Update Label List". It does appear to work however the first two webmail changes each took about 8 hours to show up on my Tour. I checked every hour or so, so it seemed strange to take so long.

I did a third label change and it showed up within about 20 minutes, so that was much better. IDK, perhaps there was some temporary problem during the first two.
    09-08-09 11:11 PM
    I think to go ahead and completely bash the BlackBerry's e-mail platform due to it not filling your particular needs is a bit over-exaggerated. While I do agree that IMAP folder support on BIS would be nice, it's lack doesn't make RIM's platform "decidedly crippled".
    It does, man. It really does. It's 2010: a device advertised as an email machine needs IMAP folder functionality.
    01-29-10 04:37 AM
    Agree completely and would add the partial download of email (the More/More All function) gets annoying. In BBs 10 years ago, it was an effective way to minimize wireless data size and power consumption. The rest of the wireless world has changed and simply is no longer a significant savings.

I've noticed at work how different people use email. Some, like myself, use the Inbox as a "to do" list and try to keep it small. Others never file anything into folders, just let the Inbox grow, and search for what they need (if they look at old mail at all). IMAP is important to the first group and not important to the second.

Plus, if all you've ever known is the BB Way, someone might not appreciate the advantages of IMAP - same is true for threaded SMS. BIS 3.0 is supposed to improve things but it seems to be a year or more for RIM to go from rumors to availability so they will continue to be behind competition in some areas.
    01-29-10 08:47 AM
80 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD