I wish this was a reality today in smartphones. It truly is such an unnecessarily wasteful industry with obvious planned obsolescence.

Interestingly enough this writer and user values customizable physical buttons when using a camera. Similar in a way to how I feel about using my Black Edition KeyOne vs my A71.

https://www.diyphotography.net/why-t...mmend-in-2021/
    06-04-21 05:29 PM
    If other things (like in general how we use the internet) didn't change, then we probably could.
    06-04-21 05:45 PM
    iPhone X was released in 2017. I could see it being an ok phone to recommend in a pinch as it will get updates for another 1.5 years 😉
    06-04-21 05:55 PM
    iPhone X was released in 2017. I could see it being an ok phone to recommend in a pinch as it will get updates for another 1.5 years
    With a fresh battery or a Mophie case, or else forget it
    06-04-21 06:00 PM
    iPhone X was released in 2017. I could see it being an ok phone to recommend in a pinch as it will get updates for another 1.5 years
    Apple is officially supporting this device for 7 years?
    06-04-21 06:22 PM
    I wish this was a reality today in smartphones. It truly is such an unnecessarily wasteful industry with obvious planned obsolescence.

Interestingly enough this writer and user values customizable physical buttons when using a camera. Similar in a way to how I feel about using my Black Edition KeyOne vs my A71.

A camera is not a security vulnerability.
    06-04-21 06:25 PM
    A camera is not a security vulnerability.
    It could be if it has WiFi capabilities for connecting and uploading to social media, which I think some cameras a few years ago had.
    06-04-21 06:40 PM
    not sure how you math gets you there. 2017 to 2022 is only 5 years….
    06-04-21 07:16 PM
    not sure how you math gets you there. 2017 to 2022 is only 5 years….
    2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 (and you said another 1.5) 2022, 1/2 2023 that's 6.5 years is it not? (and I rounded up because I have never seen Apple cut off a device before new software versions in September/October.)
    06-04-21 07:31 PM
    ...where does the zero start?
    06-04-21 07:34 PM
    2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 (and you said another 1.5) 2022, 1/2 2023 that's 6.5 years is it not? (and I rounded up because I have never seen Apple cut off a device before new software versions in September/October.)
    it was released in fall of 17, so fall of 2022 is 5 years.
    06-04-21 07:35 PM
    It could be if it has WiFi capabilities for connecting and uploading to social media, which I think some cameras a few years ago had.
    You do banking, email, secure messaging, and have contact lists and client data on your camera?
    06-04-21 08:19 PM
    You do banking, email, secure messaging, and have contact lists and client data on your camera?
    I don't do any of that with my camera. I don't even use the WiFi connection options on my camera, but I suspect some might. I suspect some might also take sensitive pictures with their cameras, and also do things like geo tagging of pictures and face recognition IDing, etc...
    06-04-21 08:59 PM
    The iPhone 6S is still supported with iOS 14.6 and it was released on September 25, 2015 (5 years, 8 months). Not exactly a stretch for 7 years. Lots of people hate on Apple for many things but their long term support of devices in most cases is not one of them. They're usually good for 4-5-6 years, aside from that whole 'slowing of older devices' lawsuit but that in itself kinda speaks volumes. Their devices last so long, they had to resort to trickery to get people to upgrade lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone...system_support
    06-05-21 08:57 PM
    Explain how the industry was supposed to know 20 years ago that there would be an explosion in the number of drones, autonomous vehicles, and other non-consumer mobile devices that would need to be supported on the cellular networks, and how they were supposed to develop and deploy the technology to handle all that when the tech was still being developed in 2018.

The reality is that cellular networks must constantly evolve with brand-new-developed technology to try to stay ahead of the demand curve while still being limited to a small number of frequencies. Likewise, the Internet in general is constantly and rapidly evolving, security increasing, encryption improving, new features becoming possible, etc.

"The industry" isn't making things obsolete on purpose - it's consumer and business need that is rapidly evolving, forcing technology to evolve, and standards to evolve, which results in hardware rapidly becoming obsolete.

I suspect your problem really isn't mobile evolution, but rather that the brand you like isn't making devices anymore. If you could get new BBs every year, I suspect you wouldn't be complaining about the "unnecessarily wasteful industry with obvious planned obsolescence."
    pdr733 and app_Developer like this.
    06-06-21 02:53 AM

You can actually recommend most phones from 2017 right now, phones like the Galaxy Note8, iPhone X, Huawei Mate 10 Pro etc… still run great, although some of them have been left in the dust in terms of updates and security patches (depending on manufacturers and country).

There are people at MacRumours still happily using iPhone 8 and iPhone X with no plans to move until the next major iPhone upgrade arrives.

With a fresh battery or a Mophie case, or else forget it
    My mother still has her iPhone X that she got in December 2017, battery still lasts her a full day and she is pretty big on Twitter, Instagram and WhatsApp. She uses it alongside her Huawei P30 Pro, but she prefers her iPhone for most things, the A11 Bionic chip still runs everything beautifully, doesn’t feel that different to my previous Xs Max or current 11 Pro Max in terms of speed and fluidity, I had advised her to check if she needs a battery replacement but she said it’s still perfectly fine for her as I was also under the impression that it would need one now, but it seems it doesn’t.

Depending on what type of user you are you could still get away with something like an even older 2014 phone such as a Galaxy Note 4, if you just want a decent smartphone. I think anything with a 20nm chip and on you should be fine, just depends on how much of a “heavy user” you are, if you are into mobile gaming then or are just a big tech enthusiast then the latest will have to do.
    06-06-21 10:36 AM
    You can actually recommend most phones from 2017 right now, phones like the Galaxy Note8, iPhone X, Huawei Mate 10 Pro etc… still run great, although some of them have been left in the dust in terms of updates and security patches (depending on manufacturers and country).

There are people at MacRumours still happily using iPhone 8 and iPhone X with no plans to move until the next major iPhone upgrade arrives.

My mother still has her iPhone X that she got in December 2017, battery still lasts her a full day and she is pretty big on Twitter, Instagram and WhatsApp. She uses it alongside her Huawei P30 Pro, but she prefers her iPhone for most things, the A11 Bionic chip still runs everything beautifully, doesn’t feel that different to my previous Xs Max or current 11 Pro Max in terms of speed and fluidity, I had advised her to check if she needs a battery replacement but she said it’s still perfectly fine for her as I was also under the impression that it would need one now, but it seems it doesn’t.

Depending on what type of user you are you could still get away with something like an even older 2014 phone such as a Galaxy Note 4, if you just want a decent smartphone. I think anything with a 20nm chip and on you should be fine, just depends on how much of a “heavy user” you are, if you are into mobile gaming then or are just a big tech enthusiast then the latest will have to do.
    If I'm gonna go older than 2018, I'd use a Priv if I could make the 808 work for my usage (which I couldn't, and tried 9 times lol)
    Tsepz_GP and saint300 like this.
    06-06-21 10:47 AM
    We were still using an iPhone4 as a home phone (but basically just for calls and text and some basic email/web-traffic) up until a few months ago. I didn't give up my Z10 as daily driver until about a year ago. Neither were extremely useful by then for what most people want to do with their phones. However, basic use was still possible, and more than sufficient for basic call, text, calendar, contacts, camera, email, maps, etc... and some light web browsing.

Edit: the batteries in both by then were crap.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    06-06-21 10:52 AM
    If I'm gonna go older than 2018, I'd use a Priv if I could make the 808 work for my usage (which I couldn't, and tried 9 times lol)
    LOL! Anything with a Snapdragon 808 or 810 may be a little bit of a stretch, good grief what a terrible year that was for Qualcomm, both chips were absolute disasters, it actually is funny in that at that time Samsung were the ones making great chips in Android, Exynos was highly praised around then, fast forward to 2020/2021 and Exynos is most hated chip and is performing horribly compared to its Qualcomm counterpart both in peak performance and battery life.
    06-06-21 02:23 PM
    LOL! Anything with a Snapdragon 808 or 810 may be a little bit of a stretch, good grief what a terrible year that was for Qualcomm, both chips were absolute disasters, it actually is funny in that at that time Samsung were the ones making great chips in Android, Exynos was highly praised around then, fast forward to 2020/2021 and Exynos is most hated chip and is performing horribly compared to its Qualcomm counterpart both in peak performance and battery life.
    Yeah its so unfortunate, I would have kept that phone as a primary if it had the 801 of the Passport and Galaxy S5.

I, like most consumers, do value a nice sized OLED display for content consumption. But I like that OLED to be paired with a PKB. The Priv was pretty much the only device to offer both, unless we count the S8 with the keyboard cover or the F(x) Tec Pro 1 (that's pretty much impossible to get).
    06-06-21 02:27 PM
    Yeah its so unfortunate, I would have kept that phone as a primary if it had the 801 of the Passport and Galaxy S5.

I, like most consumers, do value a nice sized OLED display for content consumption. But I like that OLED to be paired with a PKB. The Priv was pretty much the only device to offer both, unless we count the S8 with the keyboard cover or the F(x) Tec Pro 1 (that's pretty much impossible to get).
    The 808 performed just fine on the LG G4 though. BlackBerry had some serious optimization issues.
    06-06-21 04:49 PM
    The 808 performed just fine on the LG G4 though. BlackBerry had some serious optimization issues.
    Until the G4 boot looped into oblivion.
    the_boon likes this.
    06-06-21 09:08 PM

My mother in law is still happily using her S7 Edge. I don't think most people care like us here within the forums about the latest and the greatest silicone or number of lens or which OS version or security patch.

What struck me about Fuji camera example is that the author would still recommend it as "one of the best" today. Although the iPhone X and Note 8 are great examples I don't think either could or would be recommended today. ( I do agree either perfectly capable of operating in the manner of any slab produced today albeit marginally slower)

Is a BE KeyOne still one of the best PKB devices ever made? I obviously think so. It may not have the 2 extra RAM or as fast a chip but it seems to have a better camera and exemplary battery life. It has and continues to meet my needs so I never even considered a Key2. (Although I would probably have liked the newer chip and bigger keys)
    06-06-21 09:21 PM
    My mother in law is still happily using her S7 Edge. I don't think most people care like us here within the forums about the latest and the greatest silicone or number of lens or which OS version or security patch.

What struck me about Fuji camera example is that the author would still recommend it as "one of the best" today. Although the iPhone X and Note 8 are great examples I don't think either could or would be recommended today. ( I do agree either perfectly capable of operating in the manner of any slab produced today albeit marginally slower)

Is a BE KeyOne still one of the best PKB devices ever made? I obviously think so. It may not have the 2 extra RAM or as fast a chip but it seems to have a better camera and exemplary battery life. It has and continues to meet my needs so I never even considered a Key2. (Although I would probably have liked the newer chip and bigger keys)
    Trust me, you would want the bigger keys of the KEY2, as well as the better balance and lighter weight.
    But you wouldn't want that spacebar.
    06-06-21 09:27 PM
    Trust me, you would want the bigger keys of the KEY2, as well as the better balance and lighter weight.
    But you wouldn't want that spacebar.
    I've found the Key2 to feel cheaper and flimsier than the KeyOne, including when it comes to the keyboard and excluding when the screen falls out.
    06-06-21 09:56 PM
48 12