They were purchased for 1 billion. BlackBerry had the money, do you think if instagram were an exclusive app to to the BlackBerry platform it would of made a big difference?

Posted from my Z10
    10-30-13 01:02 PM
    If BlackBerry bought Instagram, they probably would have to deal with company image issues and won't be able to grow Instagram.

Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633
    10-30-13 01:08 PM
    If BlackBerry bought Instagram, they probably would have to deal with company image issues and won't be able to grow Instagram.

Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633
    I don't think it would be any worse than the image they have now

Posted from my Z10
    Fnen90 likes this.
    10-30-13 01:24 PM
    Nope. If anything, everyone would hate Instagram.
    Just because the name of BlackBerry was attached to it.
    Some will destroy anything in their path to attempt to harm them.
    SifiGamer, SK122387 and mossa210 like this.
    10-30-13 01:24 PM
    I think the name BlackBerry would have been toxic for the growth of Instagram.

I think it would be much more beneficial to let Instagram be on its own, AND THEN come to BlackBerry 10.

This would do wonders to validate BlackBerry 10 in the eyes of your typical consumer.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 01:46 PM
    They were purchased for 1 billion. BlackBerry had the money, do you think if instagram were an exclusive app to to the BlackBerry platform it would of made a big difference?

Posted from my Z10
    Probably could have helped, but BBRY would not have been able to keep it exclusive to BBs and retain its value. Instagram's value is in its reach.

BBM shows (at first blush at least) shows that folks are not as put off by BBRY as we'd like to think when a good product emanates from it.

Still, I suspect it's a billion that could probably have been used elsewhere.
    richardat likes this.
    10-30-13 01:52 PM
    lol that would have been a bigger waste of $1 billion than the Z10 write-down.

These social media things are so tacky and faddish
    10-30-13 01:53 PM
    I disagree with the idea that BBRY is that toxic of a brand. A good product that already has name recognition like Instagram would do fine.

It's not so much the name, but the product.
    richardat likes this.
    10-30-13 01:56 PM
    Not ever having used Instagram I have to ask does Instagram have a revenue stream? If it does and can make money for BlackBerry then I don't think it would have been an entirely bad idea.
    10-30-13 02:07 PM
    OP, are u saying that BlackBerry could've just shut down the IOS and Android apps and made it exclusive to BB?

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 04:32 PM
    Like Yahoo buying up stuff?

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10
    10-30-13 04:35 PM
    OP, are u saying that BlackBerry could've just shut down the IOS and Android apps and made it exclusive to BB?

Posted via CB10
    That would have been the end of Instagram.
    Rello likes this.
    10-30-13 04:36 PM
    Not ever having used Instagram I have to ask does Instagram have a revenue stream? If it does and can make money for BlackBerry then I don't think it would have been an entirely bad idea.
    No revenue stream yet. They're experimenting with ads and expect to introduce it widely very soon. Most analysts consider Facebook's purchase of Instagram for $1B to be a bargain now. Maybe not as big a bargain as Youtube for $1.65B, but still a bargain. Rumor has it Snapchat turned down a $1B offer.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    10-30-13 04:41 PM
    It would have been the end of the the anti Instagram militia.

There would have been a collective explosion of heads.
    10-30-13 04:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    At which point all the Instagram haters on the board would be declaring it's the greatest thing ever.....
    Rello, richardat, h20work and 2 others like this.
    10-30-13 04:44 PM
    It would have been the end of the the anti Instagram militia.

There would have been a collective explosion of heads.
    At which point all the Instagram haters on the board would be declaring it's the greatest thing ever.....
    You two have been around here for a while... LOL
    10-30-13 04:45 PM
    Instagram would simply end up like TAT where the founders and core devs simply moves on and found new company named something other than Instagram but essentially the same kind of company.
    10-30-13 04:47 PM
    Probably could have helped, but BBRY would not have been able to keep it exclusive to BBs and retain its value. Instagram's value is in its reach.

BBM shows (at first blush at least) shows that folks are not as put off by BBRY as we'd like to think when a good product emanates from it.

Still, I suspect it's a billion that could probably have been used elsewhere.
    Instagram was a major reason people were ditching their blackberrys in the first place. If it were exclusive to BlackBerry people would drop their iPhone or Android and buy blackberrys

Posted from my Z10
    10-30-13 05:06 PM
    Instagram was a major reason people were ditching their blackberrys in the first place. If it were exclusive to BlackBerry people would drop their iPhone or Android and buy blackberrys

Posted from my Z10
    I don't think it would have worked out that way. Instagram's true value, IMHO, is the social network. BBRY couldn't expect to destroy its mobile scope by retroactively putting it on only BBRY devices.

Instagram itself quickly realized it had to expand beyond iOS to maintain momentum.

I see it kind of like BBM. BBRY had to release it to more than its own customers for it to become mainstream. Having Instagram as an exclusive didn't stop Android from getting the numbers it gets anyway.
    Rello and richardat like this.
    10-30-13 05:12 PM
    Lol yup. Anything that only BlackBerry has is the best thing ever round here lol. Love some Crackberry folk lol

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    10-30-13 07:09 PM
    I don't think it would have worked out that way. Instagram's true value, IMHO, is the social network. BBRY couldn't expect to destroy its mobile scope by retroactively putting it on only BBRY devices.

Instagram itself quickly realized it had to expand beyond iOS to maintain momentum.

I see it kind of like BBM. BBRY had to release it to more than its own customers for it to become mainstream. Having Instagram as an exclusive didn't stop Android from getting the numbers it gets anyway.
    I agree. I honestly don't think have Instagram as a exclusive app would've made tons of people switch to a BlackBerry. Mayb a few but not tons. I think for most, they simply would've just moved on to the next big app. I believe their brand perception with the general public is that bad. BBM is working because people know it as one of the few good things BlackBerry exclusively had from back in the day

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 07:12 PM

Posted from my Z10
    You got it all wrong. People never "ditched" BlackBerry because of Instagram. Ditching implies somebody bought it. As sales figures show, it didn't happen. They just never picked up BlackBerry because of Instagram.
    10-30-13 10:00 PM
    BlackBerry would have ran instagram into the ground

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 12:45 AM
    Is this one of those 'What if..' series?
    I love the mash up of Bruce Wayne being an alien from planet Krypton. Lol.. Love that one.
    But, it didn't happen. And a good 'What if...' series anyway.

Back to topic. IF.. BlackBerry bought Instagram, we could possibly been using OS10.9 by now. Or OS11..
    10-31-13 05:59 AM
    What if they bought whatsapp now?

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 06:14 AM
31 12