My situation may or not be common, but whatsapp allows me to communicate internationally with family. When I went overseas earlier this year, whatsapp was my go to app for calls and messages in the countries I visited and staying in contact with people home.

I don't think I'll be one of the people switching to another platform just for whatsapp. I'll likely borrow a family members phone to send and receive messages in this country and while traveling.

Quite the dilemma.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 02:56 PM
    Not an uncommon issue... while some have no use for WhatsApp, for others it is something they use daily and just can not be replaced with "some other" app.

WhatsApp is one reason that many will be moving on from BBOS or BB10...

Good news is there are still BlackBerry options out there, by the time this comes to a head we should also have the DTEK60 to go along with the DTEK50 and PRIV. So there are "some" options to stick with BlackBerry......
    09-23-16 03:09 PM
    I'm sure in the new year whatsapp will still continue to work.. they just said they are stopping development for it.

If I want to stay in touch with someone I use pgp email,wickr and BBM.. occasionally use whatsapp but I'm dubious about their security.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 04:14 PM
    I'm sure in the new year whatsapp will still continue to work.. they just said they are stopping development for it.

If I want to stay in touch with someone I use pgp email,wickr and BBM.. occasionally use whatsapp but I'm dubious about their security.

Posted via CB10
    You misread what the Whatsapp developers said in reality.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    09-23-16 04:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    The Whatsapp developer has been clear on these forums about how they could cut off BB10 from their servers.
    The only hope you have is if they were bluffing lol

 Passport filter-evading the NSA  Make BlackBerry Great Again!
    09-23-16 04:51 PM
    Am I the only one that doesn't use whatsapp. I have nobody around me using it up here north of the border.
    Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 04:55 PM
    BlackBerry said that it is looking for some solution.

Trust BlackBerry!!!

Ahahah

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 04:57 PM
    I'd like to believe it would still work but my current contract ends in Jan 17 so I will jump ship to dtek 50 ( or priv if I can find one for the same price) I don't want to leave my passport but I have to make a choice soon

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 05:04 PM
    Am I the only one that doesn't use whatsapp. I have nobody around me using it up here north of the border.
    Posted via CB10
    You're not alone. I had never heard very much about it until the developer said they were cutting off BB10 and other devices.

TCB on Z10 likes this.
    09-23-16 06:01 PM
    The Android version will not be shut down but at some point may just not work do to further development that BB10 my not be able to deal with.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 06:24 PM
    I was one of those that criticised BlackBerry for going android but the change is imminent. I got a Priv, six days ago, and I still miss somethings from BB10 (part of the hub and the calendar, the browser and the OS fluidity with gestures) but I noticed we were getting behind. So far I could disable the Google apps I wouldn't need and my battery lasts as much as my Passport's. The camera is amazing and being natively android, the apps work flawlessly. The keyboard is too soft but it reminds me of the good ol' bbos days. I still have to get used to it as I'm still accustomed to the Passport's weird layout.

Posted via my unnamed Priv.
    09-23-16 08:00 PM
    My situation may or not be common, but whatsapp allows me to communicate internationally with family. When I went overseas earlier this year, whatsapp was my go to app for calls and messages in the countries I visited and staying in contact with people home.

I don't think I'll be one of the people switching to another platform just for whatsapp. I'll likely borrow a family members phone to send and receive messages in this country and while traveling.

Quite the dilemma.

Posted via CB10
    You could always use the Android version unless you want to leave BB10
    Here is a link for the instructions
    You can download the Android Apk right from WhatsApp's Website!

09-24-16 03:04 AM
    I realistically can't switch 50+ people to bbm.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-16 07:34 AM
    BlackBerry said that it is looking for some solution.
    They have three solutions. The Priv, and the DTEKs.
    09-24-16 10:10 AM
    I want to stick with bb10. Hopefully whatsapp will still work, it just won't be updated. Or the android version will be acceptable.

But I'm sticking with bb10.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-16 10:13 AM
    I want to stick with bb10. Hopefully whatsapp will still work, it just won't be updated. Or the android version will be acceptable.

But I'm sticking with bb10.

Posted via CB10
    The native version won't work
    The android version will
    Till when is another question

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    09-24-16 10:37 AM
    The WhatsApp situation is what encouraged me to do switch to a PRIV and I was dreading it. Every one I know uses it. From work to casual.
    Having made the switch it wasn't long until I made this BlackBerry android working the way I need. A bit different from BB10, I'm very happy with it. Heck, in several ways I find it better, so my dread wasn't justified.
    As someone said above BlackBerry already have provided a solution. It's their BlackBerry android phones. Don't dread the switch. It's not as bad as some makes it out to be.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-24-16 10:47 AM
    I am a regular user of Whatsapp. I haven't decided yet what to do if Whatsapp stops working after the 31st of December. I am torn between buying a cheap tablet just for Whatsapp or dumping Whatsapp all together.

I don't see myself leaving BB10 anytime soon. Maybe I should try to convince my friends to move to BBM.

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    09-24-16 12:31 PM
    I am a regular user of Whatsapp. I haven't decided yet what to do if Whatsapp stops working after the 31st of December. I am torn between buying a cheap tablet just for Whatsapp or dumping Whatsapp all together.

I don't see myself leaving BB10 anytime soon. Maybe I should try to convince my friends to move to BBM.

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    Why not use the android Apk?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    09-24-16 12:38 PM
    There is an alternative to WhatsApp while keeping your BB10 phone,
    Telegram has three non official version in blackberry world I'm using 'social telegram'
    I have not used international but from my understanding it works the same as WA
    09-24-16 02:23 PM
    If you want to stay on BB10: use the Android app/accept the limitations, with the understanding that it may and will likely eventually stop working. As others have said, who knows how long that will work. While the ART is outdate (Jellybean 4.3), it's quite possible the app will be supported for some time.

If that workaround isn't acceptable, there's really no choice but to switch to another platform. (And if you prefer a PKB, the Priv is an option.)
    09-25-16 08:45 AM
    You're not alone. I had never heard very much about it until the developer said they were cutting off BB10 and other devices.

I know a few people that have it, but all of them have family overseas. Otherwise, no one.
    09-25-16 10:23 AM
    but doesn't the Android version of the app work, well enough?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-25-16 10:26 AM
    If your BB10 device can fool Whatsapp into thinking that it is a different device, that might work.
    09-25-16 10:39 AM
    The title doesn't make sense.
    09-25-16 10:47 AM
30 12