So I have my new Curve 8900 and normally I have a belt clip for my phones. I have the Case-mate fuel case on order right now so until I get it I just use the sleeve that comes with the device. Decent enough.

I keep it in the same front pocket as my wallet. Today I realized I could be setting myself up for a world of hurt as I took it out of my pocket and quarters were stuck to it.

Fortunately all my magnetized cards are kept on the opposite side of my wallet from where the BB sits. That was lucky. Been doing this for over a week now and it never dawned on me.

So anyone having a mental lapse like mine should take note and remember the default case has some pretty decent magnets in it.
    09-24-09 05:10 PM
    I'm not sure that the magnets are strong enough to do any damage. I put my phone on top of my wallet on many occasions and it has never been a problem. I even have a friend who puts her cards IN the case with her phone. But still, good thing to keep in mind.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-09 06:08 PM
    That's a good tip. Guess I won't be stashing credit cards in there anymore. The pearl case seemed like the perfect size too.

09-24-09 06:10 PM
    Yea I also put my phone on top of my wallet sometimes but is a nice tip to know and keep in mind lol
    09-24-09 06:14 PM
    You need really strong magenets to do anything to a credit card according to the mythbusters.

I'm not sure how quarters were stuck to you blackberry. They are ferro-magnetic are they? I though they were copper and zinc.

09-24-09 06:18 PM
    I call BS on the quarters being stuck on the magnets...

Quarters are not made from ferrous metals, they are not attracted to magnets. Even the industrial strength neodymium magnets I have on hand.

Just saying...

Now, credit cards and magnets, that I can believe are a bad combination. Always err on the side of caution.
    09-24-09 06:18 PM
    That's a good tip. Guess I won't be stashing credit cards in there anymore. The pearl case seemed like the perfect size too.

That is no accident. It's the same width as a business card, but a little longer.

I am sure Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis decided on that form factor, just to prove they could do it.
    09-24-09 06:20 PM
    Awesome device. I love the pearl.

09-24-09 06:22 PM
    I call BS on the quarters being stuck on the magnets...

Quarters are not made from ferrous metals, they are not attracted to magnets. Even the industrial strength neodymium magnets I have on hand.

Just saying...

Now, credit cards and magnets, that I can believe are a bad combination. Always err on the side of caution.
    Canadian quarters are different I think, I just stuck another to my case. I'll post a pic if you like.

I don't have any US quarters though, would be interesting to see if there is a difference.
    09-24-09 06:25 PM
    Canadian quarters are different I think, I just stuck another to my case. I'll post a pic if you like.

I don't have any US quarters though, would be interesting to see if there is a difference.
    Ahh, didn't notice that you are on that side of the border.
    09-24-09 06:34 PM
    Silly Canadians. Don't you know REAL money isn't ferrous...

JK. Just had to do that. Anyways, it takes a rather strong magnet to demagnetize a card these days. An old TV set is more likely to do damage.
    09-24-09 06:49 PM
    lol

Come on you Yanks, we lose money in the sofa and we just use a magnet to fish it out. What are you still doing, picking it up by hand??
    09-24-09 07:10 PM
    Canadians have magnetized beer cans to find their change!

(I joke as I enjoy a cold Labatt's Blue)
    09-24-09 07:16 PM
    The magnets never hurt my cc's, but it did always de-activate my hotel room key in Vegas...super annoying.
    09-24-09 09:26 PM
    Canadians have magnetized beer cans to find their change!

(I joke as I enjoy a cold Labatt's Blue)
    Good one! You've been here eh? You seem to know our secrets... o_O
    09-24-09 09:41 PM
    The magnets never hurt my cc's, but it did always de-activate my hotel room key in Vegas...super annoying.
    Ok, good to know. I guess as the hotel room cards are meant to be reprogrammed all the time they make them weaker and easier to overwrite. Thanks for the tip!
    09-24-09 09:43 PM
    my phone has reset magnetic hotel room cards before. quite an annoyance!
    09-24-09 09:55 PM
    Yes!! I have had this happen to me many times before, you would be surprised how far the can be (like a belt clip and your front pocket) and still be
    messed up.

09-24-09 10:00 PM
    Awesome device. I love the pearl.

The Pearl was the first BB I ever owned and it was indeed a great phone for me at the time. I've since upgraded to something a little more robust I think. ;]
    09-24-09 10:05 PM
    I was staying at Treasure Island and was 30 floors up. I had to hit up the front desk 3x during the week because of the magnet thing deactivating my key.
    09-24-09 11:35 PM
    I was staying at Treasure Island and was 30 floors up. I had to hit up the front desk 3x during the week because of the magnet thing deactivating my key.
    I am going to China in November, this information is a life saver.
    09-24-09 11:53 PM
    When I had the original sleeve I always had to get the station staff to swipe me through cos' the magnets would de-sensitize the magnetic strip on the rail card. Got really annoying. Was pretty funny though. I have a belt holster now so I no longer have the problem.

09-25-09 01:49 AM
    The Aussie's need to magnatize their beer cans.

As B I G as they are, they could attract lots of money...LOL
    09-25-09 12:47 PM
    Good one! You've been here eh? You seem to know our secrets... o_O
    Live just a few minutes from the border, and all the positives of having two countries so close! (Dare I mention the visits to the Canadian ballet when I was younger?)
    09-25-09 04:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD